Benchtop Jointers For Site Work? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Benchtop Jointers For Site Work?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Benchtop Jointers For Site Work?

Anyone ever use a benchtop jointer for site work?

Another trim guy I'm working with is always running his porter cable on site.

It would be really handy to be able to straighten say a 5 foot board on certain projects.

Any thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,766

Re: Benchtop Jointers For Site Work?

I personally think a router and straight edge is easier.

Advertisement

csv (06-06-2015), m2akita (06-07-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
Nail Driving Fool

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,333

I've been considering getting one myself. My only problem is most of the bench top jointers look like junk/are geared more towards hobby woodworkers with small basement shops.
606-568-7202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 10:08 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 1,754

seriously?!

Spencer, I though you were already on the Festool wagon. A track saw is exactly a job site jointer capable of straightening a board as long as your track(s).

Its become part of my process to straight line my material before fitting further.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to duburban For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (06-11-2015), CrpntrFrk (06-07-2015), csv (06-06-2015), m2akita (06-07-2015), WarnerConstInc. (06-06-2015)
Old 06-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,006

How do you guys straight line rip something that is 3-4" wide with the track saw?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Pro

get something the same thickness to keep the track flat. most often it doesn't require clamping any of the parts because of the track's anti slip strips.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #7
Pro

I think the job site jointer argument doesn't come in straightening but in providing a finish quality surface without sanding. The track saw leaves a nice edge but still needs touch up. If you could get that off a jointer you'd be ahead of the game (i think).
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Craftsman
Rewards Points: 134

Or....

you can get the Festool 850 Planer and the jointer base.

Used it once on a job, it was slick.
For as often as I would like to have one on site, I think it would be perfect.

Short bed, but how long are the other portables?

I've been holding off, but I want one.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #9
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duburban View Post
seriously?!

Spencer, I though you were already on the Festool wagon. A track saw is exactly a job site jointer capable of straightening a board as long as your track(s).

Its become part of my process to straight line my material before fitting further.
You're probably right on this. I was thinking that a joiner would streamline the process and make it go faster. I have quite a bit of work coming up that will involve rail and stile paneling, being able to get a finished edge + straight boards would be a huge help.

A portable joiner is only going to be good for material up to 5 ft max, then the tracksaw takes the cake...hmmm....I was thinking the tracksaw wouldn't be fast enough for me but I may be able to make it work...downside is blade marks.

Edit... On second thought I could get them straight with the tracksaw, rip them, and then run them through the dewalt planer vertically to get the nice edge.

Last edited by Spencer; 06-07-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #10
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeGreen View Post
Or....

you can get the Festool 850 Planer and the jointer base.

Used it once on a job, it was slick.
For as often as I would like to have one on site, I think it would be perfect.

Short bed, but how long are the other portables?

I've been holding off, but I want one.
That might work for getting a finished edge on a board but I don't think it would work for getting anything straight that was over a couple feet long. Table just isn't long enough.

Looks like most benchtop models are about 28 inches long. I like that the grizzly has a cast iron table. I'd probably go for that one if any.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
BlueRidgeGreen (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,660

For straightening a board, I would use a track saw, if it needed very much at all. For cleaning up a rough edge we use the benchtop jointer.

We commonly use a benchtop jointer when we are doing alot of wood. Normal trim out, it's not really necessary.

I would say the jointer come out on about 2 jobs a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Spencer (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:58 AM   #12
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
For straightening a board, I would use a track saw, if it needed very much at all. For cleaning up a rough edge we use the benchtop jointer.

We commonly use a benchtop jointer when we are doing alot of wood. Normal trim out, it's not really necessary.

I would say the jointer come out on about 2 jobs a year.
Which jointer do you have? Any suggestions?

I'd probably look into the grizzly because of the cast table.

It would be the same deal. I wouldn't haul it around all the time. Just bust it out on certain jobs.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #13
3rd Generation

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 391

I was all about using the tracksaw until last week. I was trying to straighten 1x4 to make a glue up, and realized I must have been pushing down on the track slightly or something, all the cuts came out beveled. I really dislike using the tracksaw on narrow boards. They are always moving around on me.

From now on, For something that I can plan ahead of time, I'm going to be using the shop jointer. In a pinch, I'll use the track saw and complain
Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick R View Post
I was all about using the tracksaw until last week. I was trying to straighten 1x4 to make a glue up, and realized I must have been pushing down on the track slightly or something, all the cuts came out beveled. I really dislike using the tracksaw on narrow boards. They are always moving around on me.

From now on, For something that I can plan ahead of time, I'm going to be using the shop jointer. In a pinch, I'll use the track saw and complain
narrow boards are not easy with a jointer either .
i would think those smaller portable jointer would a challenge on anything over 4' . i saw i real nice 6" on craiglist for 100$ -a "Davis and Wells" .two people could set it in place .still your limited in length you can do easily .
Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Craftsman
Rewards Points: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
That might work for getting a finished edge on a board but I don't think it would work for getting anything straight that was over a couple feet long. Table just isn't long enough.

Looks like most benchtop models are about 28 inches long. I like that the grizzly has a cast iron table. I'd probably go for that one if any.
Tracksaw.... then 850.

That's what I'm thinking will be the plan.

Straight...then clean.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
i would think those smaller portable jointer would a challenge on anything over 4' . i saw i real nice 6" on craiglist for 100$ -a "Davis and Wells" .two people could set it in place .still your limited in length you can do easily .
Ran with a 6" reliant knock off for 8 years... "Saved big money" back in the day. 8' pcs where no problem. Ran 1x8 to 12 12' long without too much grief using a roller stand. Was really sweet for sizing mull strips, knocking that 1/8" off the big thick casings and so on..... Really starts to payoff on higher end jobs of size.

28" vs 45ish" don't believe I'd ever recommend go with shorter, given a choice. A 6" with a 'Shop Fox' rolling base or similar. The grizzly built in roller system sucks for off road (out of shop)...out of the trailer, maybe some plywood/osb over gravel, to the garage or sidewalk, into the house. One man can handle that.

But what do I know ---- I don't own a track saw
Attached Thumbnails
Benchtop Jointers for Site Work?-jntr.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

You should t be getting any saw marks on the track saw spence if you are using the right blade. Mine are like glass after using the track saw. Got rid of my jointer awhile back as really didn't use it enough. If you want it extra smooth then get the 850 and after you gone over with the TS hit it with the 850 to get desired finish.
Texas Wax (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Renovations/ Remodels
Rewards Points: 247

If you cant get a smooth enough finish with the track saw, what about using a router instead of a saw as Robie said? I know Eurekazone has a router attachment for their tracks, not sure about Festool, Makita, Dewalt, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to m2akita For This Useful Post:
Texas Wax (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,886

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
You should t be getting any saw marks on the track saw spence if you are using the right blade. Mine are like glass after using the track saw. Got rid of my jointer awhile back as really didn't use it enough. If you want it extra smooth then get the 850 and after you gone over with the TS hit it with the 850 to get desired finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2akita View Post
If you cant get a smooth enough finish with the track saw, what about using a router instead of a saw as Robie said? I know Eurekazone has a router attachment for their tracks, not sure about Festool, Makita, Dewalt, etc.
Nothing wrong with a track saw and the green in general. Work great on additions, baths ect. The trim job Spencer appears to be on is not a small to medium size job. The added gyrations of Clamping and holding and the limitations of small pcs with track saws, power planes ... are a pain in the arse compared to: hit a switch, run the board/molding thru, maybe one more time and done. Especially coupled with a good table saw. Reality, imho, it's about efficiency on large higher end trim jobs for builders. Not the most elegant solution.

Tote'n around an 80#-200#lbs jionter for smaller jobs is not efficient, both in cost and energy to move it around. But if you're gonna live at a job, like spencer's above, for a 3-4weeks doing finish carpentry - sure is sweet to have a jionter set up.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Renovations/ Remodels
Rewards Points: 247

If going with a bench top jointer what about making some in-feed and out-feed tables? Guess you would have to adjust the in-feed table every time you adjusted the cut. Could mount the jointer on one of these portable stands with wheels so one guy could move it around themselves.

What about a router table with a straight bit? Just offset the in-feed and out-feed fences a little.

Just free thinking here. I have no real experience with a jointer.

Advertisement