Bench Top Planers - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Bench Top Planers

Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #1
New Guy

Rewards Points: 56

Bench Top Planers

I'm in the process of building a 22x13 pergola. Building it from Doug fir then painting.

The 2x4's I bought look like crap so I'm considering buying my first benchtop planer to clean these up (plus cleaning up table saw blade marks when splitting 2x4 into 2x2). Sanding would take forever.

Here's my question: Being new to planers, how clean of a surface do they render? Now I understand I'm not going to get a museum furniture quality cut, but will a top rated planer give me a clean surface for my particular situation. The labor hours saved sanding will nearly pay for this planer.

Last edited by jhicks; 04-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 334

Re: Bench Top Planers

Are you looking to make a 10' long board edge perfectly straight? Or just clean up the edge a little? A bench top planer won't do well for long boards if you are trying to make the edge perfectly flat, the bed just isn't long enough. But it will do alright on just cleaning up the edge a little. Depending on the wood it might still need a little sanding.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to platinumLLC For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 31,276

You could buy a bench top and it will give you the results you are looking for considering the project, but IMHO you are better off loading them and bringing them to a local woodmill and have them use their commercial planer to do it... it will bang it out pretty quick...

That is, unless you are just looking for an excuse for a new toy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

When I take the plunge I'm going to get the dewalt with the shelix cutterhead. I got used to a shelix at my old job and have no desire to use a straight blade planer ever again.

http://www.amazon.com/Byrd-Tool-Shel...+planer+shelix

From what you are describing a portable planer would do exactly what you are wanting plus you would have the benefit of self dependence by not relying on a lumber yard to plane your boards. And you'd have it on site.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
brhokel606 (04-03-2015), overanalyze (04-03-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,508

If you just want smooth, a power planer will do that just fine. Get one that will plane all the way against an edge if you plan on doing some of that kind of work in the future.

Planers don't like dirty wood any more than saws do, but the carbide blades hold up pretty well. Always have extra blades on hand.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
If you just want smooth, a power planer will do that just fine. Get one that will plane all the way against an edge if you plan on doing some of that kind of work in the future.

Planers don't like dirty wood any more than saws do, but the carbide blades hold up pretty well. Always have extra blades on hand.

I used to buy the four sided square shelix blades from grizzly for the 22" planer we had in the shop. It would go an amazing long time before I would have to rotate the blades and I ran all kinds of nasty crab through that planer. I really like those blades for longevity.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I used to buy the four sided square shelix blades from grizzly for the 22" planer we had in the shop. It would go an amazing long time before I would have to rotate the blades and I ran all kinds of nasty crab through that planer. I really like those blades for longevity.
Good to know. I still remember having steel blades on a power plane back when, and a guy grabbed it and tried it out on some crap painted wood.

I've gone back and forth on the bench planer question. For what I do, if I need a specific thickness, I'll just get it from the mill that way. I plane way more doors and rabbets and small stock, so a bench planer has limited use for me. I wouldn't give one away if I had one, but it takes a fair amount of space to use.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642

Just some insight about the Shelix head.....

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...nter_Head.html

Advertisement

hdavis (04-05-2015)