Old 10-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Battery Resurrection

OK, I'm suspicious...
I tend not to go for Snake Oils myself, but I ran into this:
http://www.batteryresurrection.biz/
I'm not sure what he's selling....a booklet on how to bring back your dead batts?
Anyone tried this or familier with this guy?
I'd also welcome some other opinions on it...if you think it's bogus or not

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 08:16 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Re: Battery Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift
OK, I'm suspicious...
I tend not to go for Snake Oils myself, but I ran into this:
http://www.batteryresurrection.biz/
I'm not sure what he's selling....a booklet on how to bring back your dead batts?
Anyone tried this or familier with this guy?
I'd also welcome some other opinions on it...if you think it's bogus or not
It's a 'how-to' guide, - - I don't know anything about it firsthand, - - but IMO, - - most of these types of 'unbelievable' money saving deals have earned their titles literally, - - they bring in 'scores' of $12.95's, - - they make a million, - - and each 'beaten' individual sees the loss as too little to even complain aloud over.

Other than that, - - my mind is always completely open!!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,918

I saw this on ebay and figured if I took the time to do a google search somewhere on the net you would find the info for free what he is selling. I just haven't had the time to do the research.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I do believe it is a how to guide to rebuild your batteries by replacing the cells in them. I heard an add for batteries plus (not sure if this is a national chain or not) on the radio saying they could rebuild power tools batts for a lot less then replacing them this is the same thing except he charges you 12.95 to say 1. Find new cells. 2. Solder - to + in a daisy chain manner 3. put case back together.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #5

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 10

To get the most out of your batteries, they should not be charged before each use. Fully charge the batteries when you first intend to use them and put them back in the case when you are finished.

When it comes time to use the tool again, use the batteries the way they are without charging them. Repeat this process for future use of the tool until the charge weakens and the the tool slows down, then charge the batteries again. When the tool starts to slow down, know that it will soon be time to change the battery. Do not continue to use the battery until the tool stops completely.

Batteries have a limited number of cycles in their lifetime. A typical NiCad battery will last for 1250-1500 cycles when properly maintained. A cycle is considered 1 discharge **OR** 1 charge. Charging the batteries before each use wastes these precious cycles.

Hope this helps!

~Chris
Old 09-14-2006, 09:56 AM   #6

Trade: builder
Rewards Points: 10

The way it seems to work is that you connect your nicad to a car batterey charger, for 10 seconds. Check first for polarity, pos to pos. It removes junk from the plates and does seem to work. Batteries can explode so do it cautiously.
I searched online and found limited directions, for free. The $12.95 gets you an instruction guide. Considering the cost of buying new tools or batteries, give it a try.
I did it and find that my old sears, 16.9 volt drill is back in the black.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

I'll admit I bought it off of EBAY. As nomatch said you "jumpstart" the individual cells of the pack with a 12v source. I used it on 2 - 14.4v Dewalt packs. Both of these would not take or hold a charge. I did the resurrection and it did work, for a while. The packs charged for the first time in a year. It lasted for about 5 charges each. So I did it again and they were fine for about 3 charges. I bought a new drill so I have yet to try it again.

" Of course I don't look busy, I did it right the first time "
Old 09-15-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

How about a 14.4v Porter Cable......I would have two nice cordless drills if I could get those two batteries to hold a charge.

Russ
Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I posted this a long time ago but it's worth repeating.

Find someone who's into R/C racing and they can rebuild your battery packs. The cells that they use also have discharge rates that vary so you can 'hop-up' your drill if you want to.

A kid down the street does mine for half the price of new.

Albert Einstein
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,820

The problem with ni-cad batteries is the "memory effect" of the cells, and of course, how you use them determines how long they will last. We get close to Dewalts claim of 1000 cycles by following this procedure. When we open the new battery, we immediately run it dry before the first charge...then as we use them, we run the all the way down and never place a partially charged battery on the charger since this will lead to the battery setting up a "memory" and never lasting like a new one. It will reach the point of partial charge and just die. I do not remember the physics behind this, but it is there.

I have never tried "shocking" the batteries to bring them back, but I know in other countries, car batteries are shocked and they get twice the life we do here...maybe we would if batteries for automotive were not relatively cheap.

Something I have noticed is the "newer" Dewalt yellow top batteries last longer and have a little more power then the older black batteries, but we have had at least 8 fail when still new and have got them all replaced for free from Dewalt.

I can't wait for the 36 volt stuff to come down in price....but heck, remember when Dewalt brought out the 18 volt stuff and it just kicked ass from what we used to have?

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page

Last edited by Joasis; 09-15-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

Personally I have ridgid batteriers... If you register the tool = free batteries for life.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

Somewhere, here, there is a post from DeWalt about their batteries.

You have to remember that not all batteries are the same nor is the advice. Originally, NiCad's were to be expired before recharging. We had numerous ways of doing this. Now they say don't do it.

Li batteries take a different tack, they say to recharge when you notice the power diminishing.

This is a good topic and important to most of us. Let's keep it moving. I'll check with the kid down the street like longevity matters to him! He just wants to win races!

Albert Einstein
Old 09-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

I save ALL my old Milwaukee 18V batteries. I take several of the "dead" ones apart and make good ones. 99.999% of the time, they have one or two open or shorted cells, and the rest are fine. If you have the means to test for open or shorted cells, you can save yourself a bundle. Remove the bad cells, and reassemble the pack with all good cells. You get a battery you can use for another year or two. At 80 bucks per Milwaukee 18V battery, it's worth the effort.

How does the "battery resurrection" work? Well, I'll tell you. All the battery chargers need some sort of voltage from the battery pack you charge on them for them to "kick on". They need a couple of volts, at least, to let the charger know that you've just slammed a battery into them. If you have a dead pack with a shorted cell, the shorted cell will drain that last couple of volts out of the pack and the pack will be at zero volts. You slam it in the charger, and the charger doesn't recognize the fact that a battery has been installed. If you can charge the cells by some other means temporarily, then the normal charger will see voltage and charge the pack (for a while). The root problem (the intermittantly open or shorted cell) will still exist in the battery, and the charger will quit recognizing the battery pack after a while.

If the manufacturers would make a charger that had a button you could depress to start the charging of a pack once you plug it on, we'd all get much longer life out of our batteries.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Exterior Construction

Milwaukee's V28 Lithium-Ion

Love mine. Like night and day. The batteries are more expensive, but I only need two V28 batteries because one will last allot longer then it takes to charge the other. With my last 18v set I think I had like 10 batteries.

Benefits of V28 technology over 18 volt NiCd- or NiMH-powered tools:

Run time: Twice the average run time found with NiCd- or NiMH powered tools.

Fade-free power: Instead of the gradual but noticeable power decline users expect as a NiCd or NiMH battery pack discharges, the V28 Lithium-Ion cells maintain consistent, fade-free power throughout their entire discharge cycle. "Power doesn't drop off drastically until the very last minute.

Battery fuel gauge: You don't have to guess how much power is left in the battery with the on-board fuel gauge.

Corded tool power: The higher 3.0 amp-hr. output and 28 volts of muscle mean you can use V28 tools that in the past could only be available as corded. For example, the hammer-drill puts out 600 in.-lbs. of torque, and the circular saw cuts at 4,200 rpm, which is much closer to corded saw speeds than the 3,200 rpm found on NiCd models.

Hassle-free charging: NiCd cells don't like to be charged when they are hot, and as a result the NiCd charger waits for them to cool down. And, once charged, they should be cooled before going back to work. This can add up to an extra hour for charging. Whereas, the V28 charger is a true one-hour charger. The battery pack will begin to charge as soon as it is on the charger, and in an hour, it is ready to go to work again. The V28 battery pack runs more efficiently than an 18 volt pack which helps prevent heat buildup during tool use. Often this means the battery can begin charging immediately. Plus, the cells don't heat up during charging and are ready to go right after the full charge light comes on.

Double the use life of NiCd: V28 battery packs can do up to twice the amount of work per charge as an 18 volt, 2.4 amp-hour NiCd battery pack. They can be charged an equal or greater number of times as a NiCd pack. When you combine the benefits of double the work per charge, a more efficient system and greater number of charges, the V28 battery will provide up to 2-1/2 times the amount of work over the life of the battery when compared with conventional NiCd.

Environmentally friendly: The V28 battery contains no cadmium, making it more eco-friendly than other high powered, rechargeable batteries currently used in power tools and, therefore, does not have to be recycled in many states. Milwaukee still encourages the recycling of all rechargeable battery packs.

Cold weather performance: Cordless tool users in cold climates know that NiCd and NiMH battery packs hate a chill and lose most of their charge in sub-freezing temperatures.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

I've got too much of an investment in the 18V system. With 4 normal trucks, and 4 batteries on each, that's 16 batteries. That's a dandy chunk of change. Not to mention all the tools that would need replaced to switch to 28V. I assure you, though, that we will slowly switch to 28V as tools die.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:10 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I've got too much of an investment in the 18V system. With 4 normal trucks, and 4 batteries on each, that's 16 batteries. That's a dandy chunk of change. Not to mention all the tools that would need replaced to switch to 28V. I assure you, though, that we will slowly switch to 28V as tools die.

Didn't know if you know it, but Milwaulkee also has an 18v lithium ion battery that you can use on your old 18v milwaulkee tools.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...7?OpenDocument
Old 09-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #17
Pro

As I have posted before, all my guys get a DC4 Kit since it contains everything they will use. I own the kits the new guys use, and if they stay, they buy their own, since I don't loan tools except to my head guys. All told, I bet we have 2 or 3 of every speacialty tool for the 18 Dewalts, as well as 7 or 8 kits, some no longer complete...so the change will be a killer. It would seem like Dewalt could bring out a LI battery for the 18's, but then of course, no tool sales to go with it. I may get the 36 for my own use and then my guys wouldn't pirate it like they do now when a drill gets dropped off a building. As much as the 18 costs, I would injure them for even looking at it.

My Facebook Page
Old 09-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
Pro

Also the Milwaukee Lithium-ion batteries were originally had a two year warranty. Milwaukee has since changed it to a 5 year warranty or 2000 charges. And the warranty is retroactive to cover all the batteries already sold. And the warranty is from the first time you charge the battery. The batteries have some kind of internal chip that records the date you first charge the battery.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/n...E?OpenDocument
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM   #19
Pro

Ok, OK, Ok, ...I say I rarely make a change due to anything I read here...but I just bought the V28 Milwaukee 4 tool combo set on eBay....$450.....and I can't wait for it to get here...if it is as good as you guys proclaim, I will start getting rid of the Dewalt 18's...I even bought a new worksite radio, and am taking a serious look at the 1 inch sds hammer drill...I'll keep you posted.

My Facebook Page
Old 09-17-2006, 09:10 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
Ok, OK, Ok, ...I say I rarely make a change due to anything I read here...but I just bought the V28 Milwaukee 4 tool combo set on eBay....$450.....and I can't wait for it to get here...if it is as good as you guys proclaim, I will start getting rid of the Dewalt 18's...I even bought a new worksite radio, and am taking a serious look at the 1 inch sds hammer drill...I'll keep you posted.

$450. Man you got a good deal. I paid $729 for mine when they first came out. Although I got a $120 Home Depot gift card because I bought it on one of their promotions.

I hope whoever sold it to you didn't remove anything. I know I was looking on Ebay for the Impact Driver and Right Angle Drill to add to my set and noticed that allot of the V28 items for sale had the batteries removed. It was in the fine print though.

They remove the batteries for one of two reasons. To get more money because they sell the batteries seperately for about $120 each. ORr because they have a set and wanted more batteries, but the batteries are like $130 - $150 bucks each, so people will by sets and keep the batteries then resell the tools on ebay.

Hope yours is all intact and that you like it as much as I like mine. You got a great deal

Advertisement