Battery Powered Caulking Gun...should I? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Battery Powered Caulking Gun...should I?

Old 11-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,220

Battery Powered Caulking Gun...should I?

Without beating around the bush too much...I'm absolutely terrible with a caulking gun. Most of the time i can get away with putting tape down and tooling. But with anything that can't be tooled like thermoplastics (ie. Mulco Supera Expert), I'm hopeless. It's always comes out like a 5 year old was running the caulking gun.

Question is, does a battery powered caulking gun make a nicer bead?
I'm willing to pay the money for one if it means I don't have to get cold sweats at the thought of screwing up another window. Most of my problem revolves around getting the blobs in the bead from stopping and starting and I'm thinking that the electric will give a more constant speed.

Milwaukee M12 is what I'm thinking. Is there any real advantage to the M18 Fuel?
To those that have them, did it make your caulking beads better?

Any help/comments apprectiated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,730

Re: Battery Powered Caulking Gun...should I?

I just started a thread on this recently. To be honest though, I don't think you can get away without tooling a caulking bead. I've put down some nice ones, but there is always a little hiccup somewhere along the line that requires the whole thing to be tooled. I do think the battery gun will help you get a steadier and cleaner bead down though.

Advertisement

Last edited by Morning Wood; 11-26-2015 at 10:18 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morning Wood For This Useful Post:
hdavis (11-26-2015), Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,912

Some caulks are terrible and have air in them - there isn't much to be done with those, although a battery gun makes it easier. I have carpal tunnel, so I went battery gun a few years ago.

It's possible to get a cosmetic caulk line that looks good untooled with manual or battery gun, but it shouldn't be considered to be fully functional, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (11-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry/Exterior Renovations
Rewards Points: 44

You should invest in caulk spoons/spatulas.
I'm also a firm believer that caulk should be tooled for best adhesion and performance.
Caulking has more to do with the guy laying the bead then the gun IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohteah For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohteah View Post
Caulking has more to do with the guy laying the bead then the gun IMO.

The gun helps but being smooth and consistent is the biggest part. Starting and stopping doesn't help ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to pizalm For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,816

Tooling is the key to laying proper beads, even with Quad, even though it's not recommended.

Sometimes, I take some Albion slickers and grind them to perfection...I can stick a bead of quad around glass better than a machine can
Attached Thumbnails
battery powered caulking gun...should I?-img_1680a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-img_1688a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-bethel-windows-127a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-159a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-162a.jpg  

battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-163a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #7
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,816

Rarely will I use tape but there are exceptions...
Attached Thumbnails
battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-232a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-231a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-424a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-buongiorno-426a.jpg   battery powered caulking gun...should I?-garage-entry-door-021a.jpg  

battery powered caulking gun...should I?-garage-entry-door-030a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
dielectricunion (11-27-2015), EricBrancard (11-26-2015), hdavis (11-27-2015), Philament (11-27-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (11-26-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,386

I think that if you are having trouble by hand, a cordless gun will compound your problems. I could be wrong. I've never used a cordless caulking gun. Just seems like you need to master the skill first.

Of course maybe the gun is so much easier it will help you. I don't guess I need to run screws by hand to use a screw gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,272

I just squeezed out 5 quarts the other day. Lucky it was self leveling, its not so thick.
The Following User Says Thank You to madmax718 For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
I think that if you are having trouble by hand, a cordless gun will compound your problems. I could be wrong. I've never used a cordless caulking gun. Just seems like you need to master the skill first.

Of course maybe the gun is so much easier it will help you. I don't guess I need to run screws by hand to use a screw gun.
The gun does make it easier - no problems with inconsistent squeeze or start / stop on each squeeze. I think it actually may be easier to learn on, because your attention is only on getting the tip cut right and running at the right speed / angle.

Getting the tip cut right for the application makes all the difference, but how do you work that out if you're putting down a globby mess? Just my thoughts.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #11
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,630

I needed one for the 6 tubes of osi quad max I used around windows to brick last week.

That stuff makes the regular quad seem runny and thin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
hdavis (11-27-2015), Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #12
Pro

Thanks for all the comments. I'm quite certain this is a case of "it's not the arrow, it's the indian", I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not good at something....but perhaps a different bow might help, because it certainly can't hurt.

I have a feeling that the Mulco Supra Expert is a Canadian thing. Pretty much every professional window installer, door installer, roofer I know uses the stuff. I've never seen anyone try to tool it though. It skins up almost immediately and turns into a chunky mess if you try to touch it at all. If there's a way to tool it, I'm all ears.
Manufacture's technical data sheet specifically states "must not be smoothed or formed" and to leave a convex bead:
http://www.mittenbp.ca/uploads/documents/1332956550.pdf

I'm very much leaning towards getting the a battery caulking gun. Since I'm pretty well invested in Milwaukee M18 line. Is there any reason to go with the M18 Fuel vs the M12?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Roofing, eaves
Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philament View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I'm quite certain this is a case of "it's not the arrow, it's the indian", I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not good at something....but perhaps a different bow might help, because it certainly can't hurt.

I have a feeling that the Mulco Supra Expert is a Canadian thing. Pretty much every professional window installer, door installer, roofer I know uses the stuff. I've never seen anyone try to tool it though. It skins up almost immediately and turns into a chunky mess if you try to touch it at all. If there's a way to tool it, I'm all ears.
Manufacture's technical data sheet specifically states "must not be smoothed or formed" and to leave a convex bead:
http://www.mittenbp.ca/uploads/documents/1332956550.pdf

I'm very much leaning towards getting the a battery caulking gun. Since I'm pretty well invested in Milwaukee M18 line. Is there any reason to go with the M18 Fuel vs the M12?
Yeah supras pretty ignorant to work with. Ive pumped hundreds of tubes of the stuff, its got a lot more body than quad.
If your looking for a caulking switch, try tremco 930. Similar colour pallet, cost and apparent quality. I find it tools cleaner, may be easier to get good with.
Caulk knives are essential for tooling a clean bead of supra.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:45 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChap View Post
Yeah supras pretty ignorant to work with. Ive pumped hundreds of tubes of the stuff, its got a lot more body than quad.
If your looking for a caulking switch, try tremco 930. Similar colour pallet, cost and apparent quality. I find it tools cleaner, may be easier to get good with.
Caulk knives are essential for tooling a clean bead of supra.
Thanks for the advice, I may have to switch. Supra is pretty much all anyone sells here for exterior stuff.
So you have successfully tooled Supra with a knife? Do you have a link to the one you use? Any special technique ( dip blade in water, soap, spray window cleaner first....)?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #15
Pro

I try not to touch supra, but when i have it I use a damp knife. I bought my knife set from a Roofing supplier, probably spar but I can't recall.
What kind of manual gun are you using?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #16
Pro

Dripless ETS2000
http://dripless.com/en/applicator-to...eries/ets2000/

I have 2 or three others from HD, but the dripless is what I use for anything where I'm trying for cosmetics
Old 11-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Pro

Does the dripless help? I've never tried a dripless gun, I use the orange ones from hd, the steel 'professional' model. Seems to pump the stuff pretty consistently, I'm actually looking into a cordless gun as well, more for my hands than cosmetics.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Does the dripless help? I've never tried a dripless gun, I use the orange ones from hd, the steel 'professional' model. Seems to pump the stuff pretty consistently, I'm actually looking into a cordless gun as well, more for my hands than cosmetics.
It helps some. Things like PL still drip, but it's nice when you go to the end of a bead and can just pull away from a bead instead of gestimating how long before the end of the bead you should stop. Take it as a grain of salt though, as I'm not the person to be recommending caulking guns. Many here seem to recommend it though.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #19
Pro

Just walked past a tube, its tremco 830 not 930. Try some if you can find it, its nice stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to PatChap For This Useful Post:
Philament (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Just walked past a tube, its tremco 830 not 930. Try some if you can find it, its nice stuff.
Any of it useable below freezing?

Advertisement