Anyone Used The Festool Planer With Rustic/undulating Head For Hew/scraped Look? - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Anyone Used The Festool Planer With Rustic/undulating Head For Hew/scraped Look?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
Livin the dream...

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 5,514

Anyone Used The Festool Planer With Rustic/undulating Head For Hew/scraped Look?

The house I'm working on is getting a white oak beam detail on the ceiling. They will be 18' long.

This is a customer request thing so the architect (and me) has to figure out how to make it happen.

I gave my opinion that trying to get 18' long solid hewn beams in and installed was not going to be effective on price, or practical from an installation standpoint.

I pitched them on the idea of building box beams and using the festool planer to get the scraped look the HO is after. I think its the most practical solution and should be very doable in respect to giving her what she wants.

Has anyone done any work with the undulating head that you could offer some insight on it? I've scoured the internet and and youtube. I think it should work well???

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Livin the dream...

Re: Anyone Used The Festool Planer With Rustic/undulating Head For Hew/scraped Look?

I don't have a good camera angle of where they are going. They are going between this center section of the main floor. Span is 18'.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Re: Anyone Used The Festool Planer With Rustic/undulating Head For Hew/scraped Look?

Spencer,do you own the Festool machine already?

If not---you might try the low tech method--a 'scrub plane'---these can be purchaced or made from a jack plane by radiusing the blade---
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (06-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 94

We do so much rustic stuff, I've also looked into it, but can't bring myself to drop the coin without a job big enough to pay for it. Looks like you've got the job, just make sure they're willing to pony up extra enough to pay for the new tool.

I do have an old ryobi planer that I'm going to have my sharpening guy cut an arc on the blades if I can find a set of high speed steel knives for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 382

I've used a dewalt planer with ground blade to simulate the look of a scrub plane. I don't care for the "handscraped" look of most hardwood floors as it doesn't look at all like anything that would actually have been done in the past. When we ground them we made a very shallow convex curve to the blades so it would be a lot more subtle. In aggregate, it was still quite noticeable. Also, run the planer in pushes about the length of your arm, just like you would with a scrub plane.

Most beams would have been shaped with an adze and there's nothing that will really simulate that. You might actually be able to pick up a scrub blade and an adze and have a good time with it. The tools probably cost less than that festool blade and actually using a scrub plane goes pretty fast. That's what it was for.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswoods View Post
Spencer,do you own the Festool machine already?

If not---you might try the low tech method--a 'scrub plane'---these can be purchaced or made from a jack plane by radiusing the blade---
No. I don't have the festool planer. I have a bosch that works fine. I wouldn't mind upgrading.

For the planer, undulating head, extra blade, and tax it would cost me $920. If they will pay for at least half of that I'll probably go for it but right now I've got to much stuff that I actually need to drop a grand on a specialty tool that I will rarely use.

This is a big enough job that I definitely don't want to go the low tech route. It would be different if it was a mantel or something, but I'm looking at several beams, at least 8"x8"x18' long. Don't really want to go the manual route...
Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,738

It works well for roughing in but has a definite "machine" cut look to it. Other tools are required to soften it. The beams pictured aren't scraped but heavily distressed. They were started with the 850 and then finished with a combination of grinders with sanding and Lancelot wheels, chisels, awls, and other hand tools.

The job in the pictures had 48 beams, posts, newels, and handrails that needed to be made so the cost of the planer was easy to justify. For a couple 18' beams I'd look at other tools or modifying the knives on a cheaper planer.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone used the festool planer with rustic/undulating head for hew/scraped look?-2013-08-24_15-48-08_849.jpg   Anyone used the festool planer with rustic/undulating head for hew/scraped look?-2013-08-24_15-48-38_449.jpg   Anyone used the festool planer with rustic/undulating head for hew/scraped look?-gr-ceiling-5.jpg  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-14-2015), BlueRidgeGreen (06-16-2015), CarpenterSFO (06-14-2015), EthanB (06-14-2015), kwunch (06-14-2015), pinwheel (06-14-2015), Railman (06-14-2015), Spencer (06-14-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,072

Look for a used one on FOG. I purchased mine used with the undulating head for a really good price.

Tom
Old 06-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 336

For as little as you have to do you could do it with your RAS. Find some YouTube vids by Jory Brigham. He does a lot of this stuff with his RAS.

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to DaVinciRemodel For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 11:59 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVinciRemodel View Post
For as little as you have to do you could do it with your RAS. Find some YouTube vids by Jory Brigham. He does a lot of this stuff with his RAS.
I agree. With the planer and some follow up with the RAS, scrapers, etc., and all the dicking around as if you're making a Stradivarius, you'll probably do a beam every 2 hours. With the RAS, once your done moping about not having the planer, I bet you can do a beam an hour, and you'll still have $1000 in your pocket.

Do a sample board with your RAS, get the customer's approval, and get it done.

I'm all for tools that help get the job done, but a grand for a tool to make some wood look like Og the Caveman did it? No way.

Edit: Spencer, when I mention you moping, Stradivarius, etc., I'm talking about what it would be like if I did it, not making a comment about you.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 06-14-2015 at 02:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarpenterSFO For This Useful Post:
Spencer (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Livin the dream...

Old 06-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #12
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
I agree. With the planer and some follow up with the RAS, scrapers, etc., and all the dicking around as if you're making a Stradivarius, you'll probably do a beam every 2 hours. With the RAS, once your done moping about not having the planer, I bet you can do a beam an hour, and you'll still have $1000 in your pocket.

Do a sample board with your RAS, get the customer's approval, and get it done.

I'm all for tools that help get the job done, but a grand for a tool to make some wood look like Og the Caveman did it? No way.

Edit: Spencer, when I mention you moping, Stradivarius, etc., I'm talking about what it would be like if I did it, not making a comment about you.
I understand where you're coming from. We'll see what happens. I'm meeting the architect/builder in the morning and I'll see what direction they want to go.

They have other projects they want me on. I may not even end up doing these beams.

If I can get them to pass on the cost of any tool I need to do the job because it is very custom I'll capitalize on the opportunity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-14-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Livin the dream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
It works well for roughing in but has a definite "machine" cut look to it. Other tools are required to soften it. The beams pictured aren't scraped but heavily distressed. They were started with the 850 and then finished with a combination of grinders with sanding and Lancelot wheels, chisels, awls, and other hand tools.

The job in the pictures had 48 beams, posts, newels, and handrails that needed to be made so the cost of the planer was easy to justify. For a couple 18' beams I'd look at other tools or modifying the knives on a cheaper planer.
That looks nice. Are any of those solid beams, or are they all box beams?

I like the strategy of using a variety of tools.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
That looks nice. Are any of those solid beams, or are they all box beams?

I like the strategy of using a variety of tools.
All hollow 2, 3, or 4 sided glue ups. Lock mitered edges and distressed after glue up.

No one tool can mimic all of the effects.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,218

i cannot get my head around that look the festool makes . http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6QVTA/...sl_tcxu8vq0a_e but this would be nice .take out the soft wood on some fir lumber and you would have alot to look at .The grain would be pronouned .At my yard they have hem fir sold for fense boards .it something like 5/4 thick ,6 wide . less then a buck a foot . but stored outside so shrinkage will happen .i have surfaced some for door casing . just gorgeous . this brush tool makita has could add age to it fast .a little rustic .
Old 06-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #16
Livin the dream...

I must be to good of a salesman. The builder is buying the planer and undulating head and keeping it for themselves. Looks like I get to give it a test run to know if I want it for future reference.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spencer For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-19-2015), kwunch (06-20-2015), pinwheel (06-21-2015), Tom Struble (06-21-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,260

Just a side note, sandblasting white oak makes it look killer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StrongTower For This Useful Post:
kwunch (06-21-2015), Spencer (06-21-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Commercial Construction
Rewards Points: 791

Go to 19:30 in this video. Tommy demonstrates with the Festool and gives some tips.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJ9fPrnnYA[/YOUTUBE]

Advertisement

I buy tools. Not brands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxwage For This Useful Post:
J L (06-28-2015), Texas Wax (06-28-2015)