Anyone Have An Alternative - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Anyone Have An Alternative

Old 12-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 42

Anyone Have An Alternative

Does anyone have a better alternative to these? They only last for about 10-20 doors and just feel very cheaply made. They are cheap enough to buy another every few jobs or so. I would just like to see if there is a professional grade one out there.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,740

Re: Anyone Have An Alternative

If you are looking to buy Templaco has a template for almost any piece of hardware that a carpenter might need to install. http://www.templaco.com/index.asp

I used their stuff for years and after I nicked them up and repaired them enough times that there was more epoxy than plywood left I started making my own. I prefer mine to theirs for the most part because I make mine exact size and use a pattern bit which simplifies the layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have an alternative-basic-templates.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Texas Wax (12-17-2016), Tom Struble (12-17-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #3
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 5,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
If you are looking to buy Templaco has a template for almost any piece of hardware that a carpenter might need to install. http://www.templaco.com/index.asp

I used their stuff for years and after I nicked them up and repaired them enough times that there was more epoxy than plywood left I started making my own. I prefer mine to theirs for the most part because I make mine exact size and use a pattern bit which simplifies the layout.
When I'm building doors I put a piece of wood on the backside of a template for the jamb mortises, makes life a lot easier. The whole thing about making your own jigs is it's already modified for your exact application. Not sure how many I have but there's a bunch.
Justin Huisenga (12-17-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,974

I think mine was Porter Cable. Screwed together, all metal, had a nail built in at the top and bottom.

Haven't used it in so long. Wonder where it's at.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Tom M (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,974

Here it is.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/porter-cab...All%20Products

I assume we are talking about hinge mortise jigs. Honestly I've never seen a Ryobi one.
If you can do 20 doors with it, I would imagine it has paid for itself. Then again, the Porter Cable one is forever.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,324

I have the porter cable too. Great to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
Texas Wax (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

i have 3..guys have given me over the years,one is the Bosch..still haven't figured out how to use them..
Old 12-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,625

I just did a couple doors with a plastic porter cable version. Bleah!

This looks interesting, don't you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
john5mt (12-19-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,288

i really enjoy making them also . though i have bought templaco full jamb ones .i have not done as well making them .Years ago I got the idea of making hinge and mortice templates from Gary Katz book . there are so many different templates required through the years .
Old 12-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
When I'm building doors I put a piece of wood on the backside of a template for the jamb mortises, makes life a lot easier. The whole thing about making your own jigs is it's already modified for your exact application. Not sure how many I have but there's a bunch.
I've got crates full of them. Hard part is finding the one I actually need.

I use a couple different stop styles. For most of the single pocket stuff I use the ones left over from my old Templaco stuff. There are some like the one in the middle of the pic for the step mortise for an extension flush bolt that I use a fence on. The one on the left is for the dust box for a mortise lock strike. I have a piece of plam that I cut to fit snuggly in the hardware mortise and use it to reference the template precisely. It fastens with a couple screws that fall inside of the mortise s well. The other one is a drilling template for a Schlage AL Series commercial lockset. The big plug fits snuggly in the 2 1/8" through bore and the adjustable fence squares it to the edge of the doors so the two through holes can be accurately drilled. The full height multi pocket templates I make have a continuous stop down the middle and the can be used on either side of the stop so you never have to flip them to change handing.

For strikes I have stops on the templates but don't usually use them. I take a combination square and set it so it fits tight on the latch bolt and then scribe that offset onto the jamb. I set the strike on a square on the jamb and line the tang on the strike up with the pencil mark and then trace around the strike. The template is exact size so you just tack it on so that it crowds the marks. It is always in the right spot and you never have to screw around with the adjustable tang to get the door to hit nice and solid up against the stops the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have an alternative-templates-stops1.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-template-stops2.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-img_20140504_183803415_hdr.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-strike-backset.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 5,076

Quote:

I use a couple different stop styles. For most of the single pocket stuff I use the ones left over from my old Templaco stuff. There are some like the one in the middle of the pic for the step mortise for an extension flush bolt that I use a fence on. The one on the left is for the dust box for a mortise lock strike. I have a piece of plam that I cut to fit snuggly in the hardware mortise and use it to reference the template precisely. It fastens with a couple screws that fall inside of the mortise s well. The other one is a drilling template for a Schlage AL Series commercial lockset. The big plug fits snuggly in the 2 1/8" through bore and the adjustable fence squares it to the edge of the doors so the two through holes can be accurately drilled. The full height multi pocket templates I make have a continuous stop down the middle and the can be used on either side of the stop so you never have to flip them to change handing.

For strikes I have stops on the templates but don't usually use them. I take a combination square and set it so it fits tight on the latch bolt and then scribe that offset onto the jamb. I set the strike on a square on the jamb and line the tang on the strike up with the pencil mark and then trace around the strike. The template is exact size so you just tack it on so that it crowds the marks. It is always in the right spot and you never have to screw around with the adjustable tang to get the door to hit nice and solid up against the stops the first time.
Do you have a jig for mortise locks?
Old 12-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,288

Quote:

love your selection .I bought a bunch of templaco pins to hold them in place .on the ones you do not have pins are you clamping them? sometimes pictures are just not enough ,i would like to see your tricks in use/action
Old 12-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Do you have a jig for mortise locks?
I usually get them with the pocket prepped so I am left dealing with face plate mortises and function holes for which I have templates. The couple I cut a year are usually done by chain drilling with the edge spade on my lock jig with the appropriate sized tip. The next time it comes up I'll probably score one of these or look for a used Porter Cable door eater. http://shop.justdoortoolz.com/produc...4&categoryId=6
Old 12-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
love your selection .I bought a bunch of templaco pins to hold them in place .on the ones you do not have pins are you clamping them? sometimes pictures are just not enough ,i would like to see your tricks in use/action
Usually a couple clamps. I like either the Bessey Klik Clamps or self adjusting vise grips with the flat pads because neither style will vibrate loose when running a drill or router. The pins work pretty well for most things.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,086

Quote:

Templaco here as well as the Bore Master jig set.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
I usually get them with the pocket prepped so I am left dealing with face plate mortises and function holes for which I have templates. The couple I cut a year are usually done by chain drilling with the edge spade on my lock jig with the appropriate sized tip. The next time it comes up I'll probably score one of these or look for a used Porter Cable door eater. http://shop.justdoortoolz.com/produc...4&categoryId=6
I thought that one looked a little hokey.

I was eyeing something like this:

http://virutex.com/lockmortiserfc16s-2-1.aspx

Mafell has a beast but it's only 230V

Any who it's worthless to me at the moment but I had a 30 door job a last year but I passed it off to another company, never know when another one can pop up.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,292

Quote:

I really wish you would write a book or start a youtube channel. You always seem to have good ideas and methods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lettusbee For This Useful Post:
pgmillworks (12-20-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lettusbee View Post
I really wish you would write a book or start a youtube channel. You always seem to have good ideas and methods.
His name should be Jigmaster.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 PM   #19
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,844

What are these jigs you speak of?...
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have an alternative-ellis-bedroom-217a.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-ellis-bedroom-218a.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-ellis-bedroom-225a.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-ellis-bedroom-202a.jpg   Anyone have an alternative-ellis-bedroom-435a.jpg  

Anyone have an alternative-ellis-bedroom-232a.jpg  

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (12-18-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #20

Trade: Carpentry/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 186

I use the plastic portercable one. Used it on 5 doors yesterday afternoon. I find it ok but nothing spectacular. Would look for something better if I did doors everday

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to bcook19791 For This Useful Post:
gto6970 (12-19-2016)