Another Of My Dewalt Tools Bites The Dust - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Another Of My Dewalt Tools Bites The Dust

Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #1

Trade: Windows, Siding, Gutters
Rewards Points: 10

Another Of My Dewalt Tools Bites The Dust

My corded Dewalt Sawzall which is only three years old broke the other day. The pin or clip that holds the blade must have broken off. The blade will not hold or lock in place anymore. I have the quick change lever. I do not use this saw on an every day basis. This is the third Dewalt product I have had problems with. For the money they charge for their tools, this shouldn't have happened. Is the saw worth fixing or is it better to buy a another more reliable brand. I read where Milwaukee is rated as the top sawzall by many people.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Re: Another Of My Dewalt Tools Bites The Dust

Ship it to me and I will put the $0.50 pin in so you can buy a new saw.

DW sawzalls aren't the greatest out there.

Cole

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Motorboatin' son of a ...

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I had the same thing break on my Milwaukee. It was around $35 to have it fixed at the repair shop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytnt View Post
My corded Dewalt Sawzall which is only three years old broke the other day. The pin or clip that holds the blade must have broken off. The blade will not hold or lock in place anymore. I have the quick change lever. I do not use this saw on an every day basis. This is the third Dewalt product I have had problems with. For the money they charge for their tools, this shouldn't have happened. Is the saw worth fixing or is it better to buy a another more reliable brand. I read where Milwaukee is rated as the top sawzall by many people.
Try spraying the blade holder mechanism with WD-40. The little ball that holds the blade gets gunked up with sawdust/dirt and won't move. AT least that's how mine works. I have the cordless with the 4-position holder.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

....sell it and get a Bosch...I beat the snot out out mine over that past 3 years...still going, best blade holder design ever.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

I have a milwaukee sawzall that is at least 15 years old, probably more like 20. From what I hear they do not make their tools like they used to, so you may not get the same usage I do, but for my money there almost nothing better
Old 05-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

milwaukee recips definitely have the best blade clamp design, the only issue ive ever had is that you gotta oil the blade release every couple months but thats just normal maintance.

the makitas are nice too but the blade lock starts to wear after a while and the blade will pop out mid cut
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
milwaukee recips definitely have the best blade clamp design, the only issue ive ever had is that you gotta oil the blade release every couple months but thats just normal maintance.

the makitas are nice too but the blade lock starts to wear after a while and the blade will pop out mid cut

Have you used a bosch? I have used the new Milwaukees and they are okay....similar to the bosch except they don't eject the blade and stay locked open. All you have to do is push the blade back in to lock it in place with the bosch...the collor snaps shut when you do.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 397

I have two of the makita jr3070ct's. We have used them for over a year now. They are my choice for best sawsall ever. I have used the porter cables and the milwaukees. Those would a very close tie for second place. The blade release on the makita is an issue, but it doesn't happen very much.The dewalt sawzalls are no better than ryobi or craftsman. The bosch I have seen but never used. Is it heavy like everything else bosch makes?

Easy Gibson
Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

i have had the same corded milwaukee sawsall for the past 8 years or more and zero problems. it's done a lot of cutting and demo work and never has failed yet. i know they new milstankees are made in china. not sure about the one I have. probably USA
Old 05-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Finish Carpenter

...when I am demoing...my Bosch not only cuts stuff...sometimes it becomes a hammer and bashes it out as well...when I say I beat on it...i BEAT on it... I find it no heavier then a super saw-z-all from Mil....infact the last Mil I used smelled like gear oil everytime i used it and you can't get to the blade collar when the saw is in its fuller retracted position... and the adjustable foot was hard to release and what not. This was was nearly new.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,944

I've tried them all, the one in my truck is a Hilti.
administr8tor (05-09-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
topsail's trimcat

i havent used any of the bosch models, i love bosch tools but have a makita jr which works fine for me.

i like the makita line and milwaukee. cant stand the dewalt and rigid models though. i used a rigid a few years ago it was brutal, the piston didnt just go in and out it straight it almost went lateral as well, yet not oscilating, it was impossible to make a finish plunge cut (for replacing a piece of decking say)

as for bosch tools being heavy. thats a good thing. if you notice a lot of the new tools are lighter but dont last as long, cheaper lighter parts means less durable. where as bosch is making their stuff tougher and more precise
Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Project Manager HFH..

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

It's just a tool,not a child...Get a new one and move on.
buildenterprise (05-09-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
where as bosch is making their stuff tougher and more precise
Except for their 4100 table saws which are known to blow out the sheilded and not sealed rear armature bearing...

If you are buying one or have one...see my post in this forum about the 4100 and bad bearings...
Old 05-09-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

i have the table saw but it's a 4000 series, with the expandable table. i love it, other than the base is plastic and too easy to crack. some of the feet fell out. i'm on my 3rd base, the original cracked from sliding in and out of the truck. they replaced it free of charge (80 bucks) and then that one cracked, same reason, and i'm not harsh on my tools either. so i bought the last base and got extra rubber feet. it's been good ever since.

i really like the saw other than it weighing 75 lbs without the stand. it's about 8 years old or more. so i'm not sure how good the newest ones are. i hope it lasts me a while longer. don't want to be buying a new table saw.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
topsail's trimcat

im good for my table saw i have the 4000, ive read about the 4100. the only issue ive had with my saw is the fence getting knocked out of allignment by the crew knocking it around, took 5 minutes to fix. other than that just cleaning blades to keep cutting clean. it only gets used for finish work, we save the dewalts for framing as one is near death as the motor has been rebuilt twice and the other is middle aged

my next saw will probably be the rigid compact. any time i have to rip large sheets i do it on our uni-saw with a full outfeed table, this is for mass production of mdf trim or cabinet work. or i just cut large sheets down to make them easier to handle on the jobsite saw

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 05-09-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #18
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,270

I have the old one with the grub screw...not fast at blade changes but I've never broken a grub screw....I did however loose it and replace it with a machine screw....still works the same.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: carpenter/ handyman
Rewards Points: 1,000

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/

Good price on parts, but sometimes the manufacturer is cheaper. I repair all of my tools. The online diagrams give you a pretty good idea of how to disassemble/ reassemble. Could be just a spring popped off?
Steve
Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Finish Carpenter

4000 series don't seem to have a problem... I was on a large MDF job when mine crapped out...the dust was too fine and too much and dried out that non sealed bearing in no time.

Advertisement