Air Compressor HELP!! - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

Air Compressor HELP!!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #1

Trade: Home Building; Custom House Plans
Rewards Points: 10

Air Compressor HELP!!

Im in the market for a new Air Compressor. I currently have one of the old 20 gal Craftsmans and its works fine just so loud and bulky. I only keep it for like framing and roofing. On a recent trip to a local HD (I know just continue reading) i notice they had a 2.5 gal Ridgid AC for 109. Now I kinda know what to look for in an compressor (this one is rated at 2.1 cfm @90psi) now what im not totally sure of is if that is enough for what i need. I mostly will just use it for small jobs (ie trim work, airing up tires, the occational air tool) but let say i needed to run a framing gun for a bit. Is that big enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Re: Air Compressor HELP!!

That would run a framing gun just fine. Not for high-speed production, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #3
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

...it will sorta run a framing gun. IIRC I get a shot or two or three from my 2 gallon before it kicks on....that comp has enough CFM that it should recover in 10 seconds or so if I had to guess....I personally use the red or blue 4 gal twin stacks at the bottom of the photo (Husky or CH) with my paslode framer....4 gallons and 3.7 CFM is enough I am not working the compressor too hard for remodel work. I have also used it with a roofing gun. It is rated for a 100% duty cycle as well...that should be something to look at on that little guy you want....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 10,146

Hi ; about the Ridgid, I was working with a guy that had a brand new one and with in a month and a half it was sounding bad when running! It was the double weiner one. He said it was rated highest PSI at HD? Thats all I know
Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential Builder
Rewards Points: 75

I have been happy with this Hitachi
Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,708

If your going to run a framer for any period of time, you'd be better off with a 4cfm/90psi setup. I like my rolair twin tank
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Tool Junkie

Trade: General Contractor

You get what you pay for! K bought a husky ac once it llasted 3 days biggest pos I have ever had ! I bought a hitachi like the one above pos also it is made in china not by hitachi koki japan
Needless to say the hitachi collects dust in the corner. I bought a makita 2 gal oil lubricated hot dog for small jobs love that one, for the big jobs I use my 8 gal Quincy wheelbarrow compressor. I personally would never buy a compressor from one of the box stores ever again. That being said talk to your local tool supplier, they will be able to set you up with what you need.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Const. View Post
You get what you pay for! K bought a husky ac once it llasted 3 days biggest pos I have ever had ! I bought a hitachi like the one above pos also it is made in china not by hitachi koki japan
Needless to say the hitachi collects dust in the corner. I bought a makita 2 gal oil lubricated hot dog for small jobs love that one, for the big jobs I use my 8 gal Quincy wheelbarrow compressor. I personally would never buy a compressor from one of the box stores ever again. That being said talk to your local tool supplier, they will be able to set you up with what you need.

I really can't complain about my husky....its not he new oil-less design, its the older Oil lubed one. I put a good air filter/silencer on it, broke it in and changed the oil out for Mobil 1 as per CH....3 years later it still going. I have seen "good" compressors crap out and "bad" ones crap out....its more about how you take care of them and steering clear of the oil-less designs.

I have a 25 year old craftsman 60 gallon in my garage...mobil 1 in its crankcase.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 02-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Custom hardwood floors

Huge Rol-Air fan!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEhardwoodfloor View Post
Huge Rol-Air fan!

These or the old Emglo (pre-dewalt)/Jenny
Old 02-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

I bought that little compressor the OP was talking about a bout two weeks ago. I just wanted a little one for kit/bath remodels. It has a neat little toolbox on top and 25' of air house. It is also oilless which means better starts in the cold. Ridgid is pretty good with warranty service and this thing comes with a 3 year guarantee. So far we have use it half a dozen times with great results. It will handle one gun of any type just fine.

Easy Gibson
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer View Post

These or the old Emglo (pre-dewalt)/Jenny
Used to own one of those old emglo's, it started leaking oil after about 7 years (it was beat to crap), so we decided to let it run its course without the oil. It ran for another year. I now regret letting it die.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assets444 View Post
Used to own one of those old emglo's, it started leaking oil after about 7 years (it was beat to crap), so we decided to let it run its course without the oil. It ran for another year. I now regret letting it die.

why not just fix the leak?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by assets444 View Post
WWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY You bought it you can do what you want with it.

And to think when I found out DeShmuck ruined the design with their redesign and made them in mexico. I was looking into getting replacement parts including a complete rebuild kit of the pump head for my wheel barrow. Then I found out that Jenny still made them and I found a new girlfriend.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
why not just fix the leak?
I wish I could give a good excuse...it was stupidity!

I did not like how it looked and wanted to replace it at the time. And I assumed that the replacement would be just as good.
Hind sight is 20/20
Old 02-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 150

I have a ridgid, and have used it for nearly 3-4 years for light duty as you are speaking of. Works just fine, and continues to. I have done some small framing (maybe 40 foot of wall) and a 3 car garage roof that I shingled and it again kept up just fine. Mine is oil-less...which I haven't had many issues with either, although I must say I've heard of issues..

Advertisement