3 Hp Router - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

3 Hp Router

Old 12-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 60

3 Hp Router

Buying a 3hp router for plowing stair stringers and other heavy duty work. (Have several intermediate power routers.) Anyone have a recommendation? I'm considering the Festool 2200 but wondering if it's worth the coin.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 591

Re: 3 Hp Router

I've only used a couple of 3hp brands, but I've seen tons of auctions for shops that use what we currently use, which is the 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable. It is probably the most HD model out there. We've run many 1,000 ft runs of small mouldings with no issues. They use a double bearing at the collet end, which I doubt many others (if any) do. It's the go to router for small profiles in most shops.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
Motor (12-05-2016), Spencer (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I've only used a couple of 3hp brands, but I've seen tons of auctions for shops that use what we currently use, which is the 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable. It is probably the most HD model out there. We've run many 1,000 ft runs of small mouldings with no issues. They use a double bearing at the collet end, which I doubt many others (if any) do. It's the go to router for small profiles in most shops.
Got any proof the Porter Cable 7518 type of router uses double bearings at the collet end? As shown it is a single top bearing and a single bottom bearing. One of my friends uses them for production. He buys 5 at a time and returns 3 due to vibration. PC's are still good routers, but not what they used to be. Plug it in with the collet removed and make sure it is smooth. Should serve an occasional user for many many years.

Festool does use three bearings to support the shaft. Very smooth router. The biggest complaint I have heard with the Festool is the price. With their unconditional 30 day trial it is easy enough to find out if it is the right router for you. Also offers some of the best dust collection for working indoors. The chips thrown cutting stair raisers might be best done by "letting the chips fly"! At least using a Dust Deputy to save on bags if using a CT type dust collector.

Mafel of course also builds a top tier router with three support bearings. Also has excellent dust collection.

Another option is the cost effective Triton router which is easily set up for dropping into a router table and seems to be fairly well rated. Good dust collection, if not great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
Motor (12-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
I've only used a couple of 3hp brands, but I've seen tons of auctions for shops that use what we currently use, which is the 3 1/4 hp Porter Cable. It is probably the most HD model out there. We've run many 1,000 ft runs of small moldings with no issues.
100% Agree.

I'm sure the festool is great, but for cost and actual use, the 3hp Porter Cable is a good value. Stability and quality of cutting (bearing/wobble/bobble) only thing better is a shaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
Motor (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 886

PC7518/7519 don't have a double collet end bearing. I have changes bearing in them. The later ones use cheap junk bearings, which is the weak point of that router. That could easily be the cause of having to return lots of them. Changing bearings is fairly easy for a well equipped shop.

I prefer the Milwaukee 5625 with one minor caveat. When mounted upside down in a router table without dust extraction, they pull so much air through the motor to keep it cool that they seem to gum up the commutator. Not a problem using hand held or with dust extraction and a better router than the PC75xx.

The Festool 2200 is worth the cost and outpowers the above two, which are themselves incredibly powerful. It is probably the best router design of all of them, incredibly even better than the OF1010 and OF1400. Only choice if dust extraction is a priority.

I have:
2 older PC7518, the one new one went back.
2 Milwaukee 5625, one in a table.
1 OF2200 for inside use and irritating materials. I believe it actually has double bearings. It is incredibly smooth.

Last edited by GregB; 12-05-2016 at 06:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GregB For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (12-05-2016), Motor (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,850

I have multiple 2200 routers. Run the hell out of them, smoothest routers I have every used.

Tried a few big Bosch's, they sit unused due to vibration and noise. Returned one 3 times, no change with the replacements.

Tom
Old 12-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
PC7518/7519 don't have a double collet end bearing. I have changes bearing in them. The later ones use cheap junk bearings, which is the weak point of that router. That could easily be the cause of having to return lots of them. Changing bearings is fairly easy for a well equipped shop.

I prefer the Milwaukee 5625 with one minor caveat. When mounted upside down in a router table without dust extraction, they pull so much air through the motor to keep it cool that they seem to gum up the commutator. Not a problem using hand held or with dust extraction and a better router than the PC75xx.

The Festool 2200 is worth the cost and outpowers the above two, which are themselves incredibly powerful. It is probably the best router design of all of them, incredibly even better than the OF1010 and OF1400. Only choice if dust extraction is a priority.

I have:
2 older PC7518, the one new one went back.
2 Milwaukee 5625, one in a table.
1 OF2200 for inside use and irritating materials. I believe it actually has double bearings. It is incredibly smooth.
How is the Festool 2200 for tripping breakers? (standard 15 amp.)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
Pro

As long as it's the only tool on the circuit you'll be fine.

You will not be able to load the router enough to trip the breaker, I've tried. I turn a 3-5/8" panel raising bit with a back cutter in a CMS and hand held with the 2200. No issues making a full depth cut in oak or maple.

Doing a silly cut with the 2200. (The 2 CT's and 2200 are on 3 separate circuits).

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
Motor (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 591

I guess I was wrong about the double collet bearing. I could have sworn the salesman told me it was a double bearing setup. I do know that they have the bearing closer to the collet than most. On some of the parts list though, they list 3 being needed. I do know that they have the bearing closer to the collet than most. At one time, they were thought to be the best available, but it looks they have been surpassed, while their own quality has diminished. I have zero complaints with ours, & have probably run in excess of 10,000ft of og profile.

It sounds like the Festool is probably top do today.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #10
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
As long as it's the only tool on the circuit you'll be fine.

You will not be able to load the router enough to trip the breaker, I've tried. I turn a 3-5/8" panel raising bit with a back cutter in a CMS and hand held with the 2200. No issues making a full depth cut in oak or maple.

Doing a silly cut with the 2200. (The 2 CT's and 2200 are on 3 separate circuits).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_1UyC_djDs

Tom
Amazing!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor View Post
How is the Festool 2200 for tripping breakers? (standard 15 amp.)
I would agree with Tom, I can't recall tripping any 15a breaker when there is little else on the circuit. His video is an excellent example of how easily it does a big cut. It even does big cuts on solid surface material.
It is unusual to see a 15a outlet circuit around here on anything built in the last 40-50 years as the standard is 20a breaker and 15a outlets. 15a is normal for lighting circuits in residential.
I know the OF2200 says it can draw 18a but that would be full load and you just can't load it that hard for very long. It is hard to load it that hard at all and requires more that Tom was doing in that video. The big Milwaukee and PC power through anything you want to do with little effort and the OF2200 does the same and feels like its not even working.
I have a recollection from long ago that the bigger PC routers were advertised as having two ball bearings, meaning they had a bearing at the top instead of a sleeve like the cheap routers of the day.

Last edited by GregB; 12-06-2016 at 09:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GregB For This Useful Post:
Motor (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #12
Pro

Speaking of solid surface. It's the reason I have multiple 2200's.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
3 hp router-img_0845.jpg   3 hp router-img_0854.jpg  
GregB (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #13
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,442

Quote:
Speaking of solid surface. It's the reason I have multiple 2200's.

Tom
What are the ply blocks for on the top picture where you're clamping up the built up edge? Alignment?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by J L View Post
What are the ply blocks for on the top picture where you're clamping up the built up edge? Alignment?
Yes, they are registration blocks.

When fabricating, you dry assemble the parts, check for and correct any issues, Wet assemble using the registration blocks to place everything back where it was while you were checking the assembly.

Anything that gets placed dry gets registration blocks, like a sink or the lower build up you see in the previous pictures.

I had to dutchman a counter top I fabricated due to a change the client requested. Once I set the MFS I glued registration blocks incase I had to reset the MFS. Come to think of it, I use a lot of registration blocks for a lot of applications.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...100/#msg474100

BTW, I have about 400 of those clamps, still run out on just about every counter top fabrication I do.

Tom

Last edited by tjbnwi; 12-06-2016 at 08:15 PM.
J L (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 412

Quote:
BTW, I have about 400 of those clamps, still run out on just about every counter top fabrication I do.

Tom
Good thing they are a buck a clamp! Unless you found them for less...hopefully. Was curious how many times you would have had to clear Home Depot or the like out of them so I checked the website. There are 471 clamps in stock at one of the local HD's

Kinda surprised you haven't removed the plastic covers.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #16
Pro

I buy them by the box-96 per box I believe. 0.99 each.

To lazy to pull the pads.

Tom
Old 12-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #17
New Guy

Quote:
Buying a 3hp router for plowing stair stringers and other heavy duty work. (Have several intermediate power routers.) Anyone have a recommendation? I'm considering the Festool 2200 but wondering if it's worth the coin.
Does anyone know if the Festool 2200 router will work with this jig?http://www.stairequipment.com/images...0Photo%203.jpg
Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Does anyone know if the Festool 2200 router will work with this jig?http://www.stairequipment.com/images...0Photo%203.jpg
Yes, you'll need the bushing to go along with the 2200.

I have this kit in both metric and imperial. You don't have to buy a kit, they sell the bushing individually.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-49765.../dp/B0058HVVH6

Tom
Motor (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #19
New Guy

Quote:
Yes, you'll need the bushing to go along with the 2200.

I have this kit in both metric and imperial. You don't have to buy a kit, they sell the bushing individually.

https://www.amazon.com/Festool-49765.../dp/B0058HVVH6

Tom
I ordered the imperial kit and it will be here next week (As a baby-boomer I totally think in imperial.) The stair template comes with bushings so I don't know if they are the same thing.

Thx
Old 12-08-2016, 07:37 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
I ordered the imperial kit and it will be here next week (As a baby-boomer I totally think in imperial.) The stair template comes with bushings so I don't know if they are the same thing.

Thx
It's how they mount to the 2200. You can go with the screw in type, but you'll really like the quick change.

Tom

Advertisement