2020 Chop/Table Saw Blade Thread - Tools & Equipment - Contractor Talk

2020 Chop/Table Saw Blade Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #1
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 19,512

2020 Chop/Table Saw Blade Thread

What are you guys using for your table/chop saws?

I'd like to get a higher end table saw blade. I was ripping down some white oak today with a Freud and I've got a few more scorch marks than I'd like. Would a different blade solve that or does it always come down to user error at a certain point for hardwoods?

I've been using Forest Chopmasters on my chop saw for years and I really like them for the most part, but sometimes I get a little chip out on the back side, again when using hardwoods.

What are you guys running lately?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 14,963

Re: 2020 Chop/Table Saw Blade Thread

I use Amana Electro-Blu for the tablesaw, always a full 1/8" kerf.

Been using Forrest Chopmasters on my chop box. But I find they can burn on the left side of the blade for whatever reason.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 07-05-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,532

Various models of Forrest, depending on the machine and task.

― Will Durant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 5,152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
What are you guys using for your table/chop saws?

I'd like to get a higher end table saw blade. I was ripping down some white oak today with a Freud and I've got a few more scorch marks than I'd like. Would a different blade solve that or does it always come down to user error at a certain point for hardwoods?

I've been using Forest Chopmasters on my chop saw for years and I really like them for the most part, but sometimes I get a little chip out on the back side, again when using hardwoods.

What are you guys running lately?
Anything from here I’ve found to be top notch.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ing-62718.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
hdavis (07-05-2020), sparehair (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,184

Altecnica makes a great rip blade for a table saw. Full kerf, low tooth count with a large/deel gullet, +5° hook, 10-12° ATB+R for ripping. I think those are the numbers.

I think proper numbers make more difference then the brand. If cross cutting on the TS I use Altecnica combination blade, which isnt great but I'd rather do cross cutting on the miter saw. Also get longer out of each blade by using CMT cleaner. Keeping the pitch off of it helps keep the temp down which is a huge culprit in dulling blades too fast.

On the kapex I have a nice CMT that has a huge amount of carbide. 70 something tooth count, small gullet, +10° hook, 15° ATB. If I dont want the tear out in the backside, I look for a blade with a high tooth count and a negative pitch.

Everlast, Leitz, Tenryu, CMT, Amana, Altecnica, Kanefusa all make pretty good full kerf blades. Its important to remember the higher the angle, the more contact with wood, the more heat generated. Table saw if Im cutting slots or something I look for a zero hook. The higher hook angle the more the blade wants to pull the material into the saw, the lower the hook the more pressure you will have to put on the wood to get through it.

Just some thoughts to think about.

Last edited by Deckhead; 07-05-2020 at 08:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
enterprise (07-05-2020), sparehair (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #6
Artist and not a curator

The biggest reason cheapy saw blades suck is the material use. They use worse tool steel and carbide. The ones listed all use the better material. Forrest uses better stuff too but I had some bad experiences with them and never started using them again. I'm sure they are good if you got the right blade for the job.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #7
Artist and not a curator

Consider me inspired. I bought 2 Amana blades to see if they are better or not. Tried the flatgrind and the tcg because I have a bunch of glue ups coming up in a week or so. Be curious to see if the flat grind or TCG actually makes it so I dont have to clean it up on the jointer.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
LRG WoodCrafting

The TCG is more for things like melamine or other chippy woods. Pretty much all I cut with are the AT 60 tooth. I don't really care what I'm pushing through the saw, that's likely the blade that's on it. I only switch over to a rip blade when I am dealing with 8/4 stock and even then, I don't always. Oak, Maple yes. Poplar, Fir not so much. I run a 3HP Delta.

I like the Amana's because they are relatively inexpensive, they have enough carbide on them to sharpen them at least a half dozen times. Most of mine last me more than a decade before I finally replace them.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #9

Trade: Trim Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 256

I've got a mile or 2 on this full kerf blade, it's pretty amazing compared to all the budget minded rip blades I've used in the past.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Chop/Table Saw Blade Thread-20200705_115110.jpg  
hdavis (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: GC carpenter
Rewards Points: 8

Altecnica, Almana are good blades. I try to keep them clean & have a well known sharpener friend I barter with for my farm fresh eggs & tomatoes so they last me a good while
Old 07-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 19,512

I think my issue is that I only have one Chopmaster and wait until it's convenient to sharpen it between job, as opposed to when I SHOULD sharpen it.

Forrest is real close to me, so by convenient, I mean when I have time to kill an afternoon at Rutt's Hut waiting for my blade to get sharpened across the street. I get it back with the wax still hot. What service!
The Following User Says Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
Aaron Berk2 (07-05-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #12
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
The TCG is more for things like melamine or other chippy woods. Pretty much all I cut with are the AT 60 tooth. I don't really care what I'm pushing through the saw, that's likely the blade that's on it. I only switch over to a rip blade when I am dealing with 8/4 stock and even then, I don't always. Oak, Maple yes. Poplar, Fir not so much. I run a 3HP Delta.

I like the Amana's because they are relatively inexpensive, they have enough carbide on them to sharpen them at least a half dozen times. Most of mine last me more than a decade before I finally replace them.
I don't do a lot with plywood, so my ATB+R blade does a great job for ripping soft or hard woods. It does leave the smallest saw marks on both sides of the cut though so I have to clean it up on the jointer. Most of the stuff I do is pretty dense wood, with the softest being sapele. I'm thinking the flat grind will be fine for gluing up but a buddy claims a triple chip on hard hardwoods really leaves a clean edge.

I don't touch melamine or anything so it's no use there but when I have a bunch of Ipe or Wenge or something it will be nice to have. They are Amana's which I don't have any of so I'm interested to see how they work out. Amana is making the claim that the triple chip with an aggressive hook makes it perfect for a glue edge. I'm sure it would be terrible for cross cuts. Between Amana and my buddy making the same claim, I figure it's worth a shot.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #13
LRG WoodCrafting

Checked around and it does look like glue line rip blades do have a triple chip design with alternating flat top teeth. You're never going to have a flat tooth blade for melamine, that's a recipe for disaster. Best blade for melamine is hollow ground. But it goes from sharp on one cut to dull on the next. You usually get 20 or so sheets per blade with great front and back cuts.

So it looks like a flat + TCG tooth works for glue line ripping. Melamine would be High AT + TCG
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:30 AM   #14
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Checked around and it does look like glue line rip blades do have a triple chip design with alternating flat top teeth. You're never going to have a flat tooth blade for melamine, that's a recipe for disaster. Best blade for melamine is hollow ground. But it goes from sharp on one cut to dull on the next. You usually get 20 or so sheets per blade with great front and back cuts.

So it looks like a flat + TCG tooth works for glue line ripping. Melamine would be High AT + TCG
Pretty sure most triple chip have a flat grind after the trapese tip. I think the main difference between the one specialized for wood is that one has a less aggressive hook and the flat grind behind the trapese is lower then the trapese so it is never cutting the leading edge and only cleaning out the trapese cut.

Of course, there is a modified triple chip too. Like I said, haven't looked into it that much cause I just don't mess with sheet goods often.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #15
Artist and not a curator

Got the tcg blade yesterday. Going to try it out a little today.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Badass blade. I got the other flat grind today.

Feed rate is a bit slower with the tcg but Ill be damned if it isnt buttery smooth. I think I might be able to get away with using it without cleaning up edges on the jointer. I would not have thought a triple chip would do that, but I gues the aggressive hook helps a lot, I thought it would have burned the wood like a tcg metal blade wood but, it doesnt at all.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 2,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Anything from here I’ve found to be top notch.

https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ing-62718.html
oh shoot thats a lot of money for a saw blade
Old 07-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #18
LRG WoodCrafting

But it's got Nitro Shield !!
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #19
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
oh shoot thats a lot of money for a saw blade
Yes, but it has the "Nitro Shield" coating. That has to be worth the 13 bucks right there.

Andy.

Advertisement