What Brand Is The Best Enclosed Trailer? - Construction - Contractor Talk

What Brand Is The Best Enclosed Trailer?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 AM   #1

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

What Brand Is The Best Enclosed Trailer?

im looking at purchasing a new enclosed trailer, 7x14 v-nose, this would be my first one and am checking into brands and prices. i received a quote for a CARRY-ON brand that is significantly cheaper than alot of other brands, the worst reviews i have found on it are extreme tire wear if there is weight on the sides, although this is enough of a bad review to sway me away (considering the review mentioned he used it everyday and replaced tires every 4 months at 250$ for a set of 4 (tandem axle) which is the same amount of use i will be putting on it that adds up fast and defeats the purpose of the savings if other trailers dont have the wear and tear as often on the tires. granted the right size rim and better tire might be a factor that was not included in his review, but im curious if the difference in this issue can actually be the difference in quality of trailer. thanks for any and all responses

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 436

Re: What Brand Is The Best Enclosed Trailer?

Whatever brand you buy, make sure it's 6 lug wheels & torsion springs instead of leaf springs. My leaf spring trailer wears tires bad, whereas my heavier torsion spring trailer has had the same 4 tires since I bought it new 6 years ago.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
brhokel606 (01-05-2016)
Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 AM   #3

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 652

I currently have a 92' Pace/American with the torsion axle. Was looking to buy a new one last year. Would have bought another Pace/Am but Pace is out of business.

I think the guy that started/left Pace went on to start Badger Trailers(maybe?).

One of the things I was looking for was that the shell ribs were 16"OC. Most cheaper models I saw had 24"OC ribs.

After I saw prices of new trailers with all the features I wanted, I rehabbed the old one. Replaced the fenders and undercoated the frame with chassis saver to prolong it's life. Should have done both along time ago.

Replaced tires as well. I can't remember last time I changed them. They wore well. I'm going by mileage on the trucks that this trailer has about 250,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Frank Castle; 06-18-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC, Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,652

I see more Haulmark trailer than anything.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #5

Trade: Log Home Builder
Rewards Points: 12

My first was a vnose carry-on and it was nice while it lasted. Got about 3 hard years out of it before door fell off, spring broke, side rotted, hitch busted, replaced all lights and some wiring, etc...
The replacement was a used Wells Cargo Road Force 16' which has about 6 years on it now with no significant problems. Led lights with no failures yet, hardly wears tires and still looks like the day I bought it. The Wells is made many times better in every way.
All I can tell you about are those 2 brands. If you want something that lasts stay away from Carry-on. After 3 years it was worthless and unusable. Its hard to spend the extra $ but dont skimp on this one.
Oh - the torsion axles are working out better for tire wear. I get years out of a set 2 hours a day. The leaf spring (carry-on) wasnt as bad as you suggested but it wasnt great either.

Last edited by jwmitch; 06-18-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
I currently have a 92' Pace/American with the torsion axle. Was looking to but a new one last year. Would have bought another Pace/Am but Pace is out of business.

I think the guy that started/left Pace went on to start Badger Trailers(maybe?).

One of the things I was looking for was that the shell ribs were 16"OC. Most cheaper models I saw had 24"OC ribs.

After I saw prices of new trailers with all the features I wanted, I rehabbed the old one. Replaced the fenders and undercoated the frame with chassis saver to prolong it's life. Should have done both along time ago.

Replaced tires as well. I can't remember last time I changed them. They wore well. I'm going by mileage on the trucks that this trailer has about 250,000 miles on it.
Pretty sure most of the Pace guys went to form Bravo Trailers.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #7

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
Pretty sure most of the Pace guys went to form Bravo Trailers.
Badger / Bravo

220 / 221

Whatever it takes.

Thanks, I couldn't remember.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I looked at the ones below when I was looking. In the order of worst to best the carmate was the best but it was also the most exspensive by quite a bit. If they are available in your area go take a look at them.

Lark
Haulmark
Pace
Carmate
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Money Maker

Trade: New Home Builder
Rewards Points: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction
I looked at the ones below when I was looking. In the order of worst to best the carmate was the best but it was also the most exspensive by quite a bit. If they are available in your area go take a look at them.

Lark
Haulmark
Pace
Carmate
Never heard of lark but you should do very well with pace or haulmark. Carmate is very good but there's a price jump that isn't worth it for just tools
Old 06-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

United trailer has held up to some seriouse weight and abuse the last 3 years.

I wore out a millsberry or something like that trailer in one year it was falling apart.

Here is the untited that I like a lot

Old 06-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDel Prete View Post

Never heard of lark but you should do very well with pace or haulmark. Carmate is very good but there's a price jump that isn't worth it for just tools
I would seriously disagree with that statement. I've owned 3 Carmate's & worth every penny of it.

And in my area, there's not a significant difference in price between the brands, so you may want to try some different dealers.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
Money Maker

Trade: New Home Builder
Rewards Points: 624

Quote:
Originally Posted by svronthmve

I would seriously disagree with that statement. I've owned 3 Carmate's & worth every penny of it.

And in my area, there's not a significant difference in price between the brands, so you may want to try some different dealers.
If that was the case for me I'd enjoy the carmate.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

Wells Cargo. Torsion is absolutely the way to go. Using it in the North and getting a trailer made in say, Georgia is not smart. We have salt, they don't.

Powder coated fakes is a good idea, undercoating is another good idea.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Hallmark are absolute junk, when i started out I had one. Then I got a carmate that I liked a lot but out grew, and I'm currently in the market for a new one and I've found a local company that builds them. advatech flooring, 1/2 ply walls, the framing for the walls is square tube not c channel and it's 16 of not 24 like a lot of trailers are, 16" rims not 15 like a lot are. And at about half the price of all the big brands.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDel Prete View Post

If that was the case for me I'd enjoy the carmate.
I do!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #16
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,044

No one's mentioning price. I realize that price varies a lot from location to location, but what's it take to get a trailer? What's the range you guys are talking about?

They're very uncommon in San Francisco. Tough to park, different kinds of jobs, security would be a problem. But I'm curious about the range of prices.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
Working

Rewards Points: 2,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
No one's mentioning price. I realize that price varies a lot from location to location, but what's it take to get a trailer? What's the range you guys are talking about?

They're very uncommon in San Francisco. Tough to park, different kinds of jobs, security would be a problem. But I'm curious about the range of prices.
My black one posted above was expensive 8k because I got a ton of options. You can get a good quality white no frills trailer for 4k

Cole
CarpenterSFO (06-18-2013), TxElectrician (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: decks
Rewards Points: 2,076

wells cargo road force bought new on 2007, zero issues, tough, would definitely get another
The Following User Says Thank You to Bone Saw For This Useful Post:
Roofcheck (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO

Like cole says prices are hard to give. There was a lark next to mine that was 1/3rd the price of mine in the same size. I went for the most basic contractor edition carmate did as i wanted a walk on roof and it was about $6800+ tax but it come with some good options as standard but could have easy added another $2k+ to that price adding other options to it. But if you figure $7 for a good quality medium optioned trailer you should be in the ball park. The carmate our Familey business owns has prob done way over 300k miles and still going string and the drivers are hard on them too.
CarpenterSFO (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

I have standard configuration, 6'x12' Wells Cargo as shown. Standard being 6 wide 6 tall. Torsion axles this pulls loaded with anout 3,000lbs gutter machine 70mph like a dream. $5,300 with the racks. I bought it from a reputable company known for quality and service, ie its probably available for less elsewhere but practicing what I preach!
Attached Thumbnails
what brand is the best enclosed trailer?-image.jpg  

Advertisement