Is There A Way To Get Your Licence To Build New Homes Without Being A Carpenter? - Construction - Contractor Talk

Is There A Way To Get Your Licence To Build New Homes Without Being A Carpenter?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

Trade: Carpenter. New homes, Extensions, Renovations
Rewards Points: 26

Is There A Way To Get Your Licence To Build New Homes Without Being A Carpenter?

Here in aus, its pretty trade based. I'm a carpenter but did my apprenticeship with my old man and we only do bathroom and kitchen remodelling.

I also have a diploma in building and construction. The next qualification up is a construction management degree.

What i'm asking is if there is a way, in an Australian state or in the USA to be a new home builder without having a trade background in new homes?
The Following User Says Thank You to aussie1994 For This Useful Post:
dielectricunion (07-16-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 66

Re: Is There A Way To Get Your Licence To Build New Homes Without Being A Carpenter?

Yes

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #3

Re: Is There A Way To Get Your Licence To Build New Homes Without Being A Carpenter?

What would be the best way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 4

It all depends on your local laws, rules , and regulations .

Here in the US , there are vastly different requirements from state to state and even town to town

Some areas have no requirements at all , some are very restrictive and ask that you pass examinations , provide proof of experience in the field you want to be licensed in , and be bonded , etc. . And everything in between .

A definitive answer will best be found from the authorities that have jurisdiction in your area.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie1994 View Post
What would be the best way to do this?
come to california...

seems all you need is to be able to walk & chew gum at the same time...
cwatbay (07-19-2019), Defenestrate (07-20-2019), dielectricunion (07-16-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
come to california...

A pickup truck and a black lab also.
Oh and make sure the truck has a un-needed lift kit.
Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Juan80 For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (07-14-2019), cwatbay (07-19-2019), griz (07-14-2019), Jaws (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
The Sheriff

Rewards Points: 12,106

It certainly helps to be a carpenter in my opinion if your small volume Builder. Certainly if you're going to do remodels of any size

But yes you can. Texas has no rules. Cell phone, truck and cool sunglasses is all that's needed

+1 for a dog in the back

+2 for yeti full of beer and 1 water

+3 for beer cans in the floor board and receipts all over the dash

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

John
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-17-2019), Golden view (07-14-2019), griz (07-14-2019), tgeb (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

I love this forum

So some places in the US dont even require licensing? Might be moving there if I cant get mine here. My old man has plenty of experience and has built several new homes (before licensing was required in my state) but as most of his experience is in remodelling its hard for him to get the new home licence..

Oh yeah I want a lift kit on my truck!
The Following User Says Thank You to aussie1994 For This Useful Post:
tgeb (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 11,914

A roll of plans on the dash and you really know what you're doing
Jaws (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 11,914

Australians always do good here. It's not only their accent but if you any Māori in you, you are a shoe in with the locale Polynesians.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy View Post
A roll of plans on the dash and you really know what you're doing
Hey... lol

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Cricket (07-18-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #12
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 790

A Carpenter worth his salt knows a little about every trade. Everything we do is derived around every trade that it takes to build a home. I was always taught to be kind to everyone after you. It's our job.

Mike.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
A Carpenter worth his salt knows a little about every trade. Everything we do is derived around every trade that it takes to build a home. I was always taught to be kind to everyone after you. It's our job.

Mike.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-17-2019), Calidecks (07-14-2019), griz (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #14
The Sheriff

I learned a lot about plumbing DWV as a form carpenter though as well.

Trim you learn a lot about who sucks at their job in foundation/frame and all the I terror trades as they are related to you

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (07-14-2019), griz (07-14-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,646

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
come to california...

Here, all you need is a pickup and a ladder rack. The ladder rack should be homemade from conduit.

All of sudden, you are qualified.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 790

Check this thread out and tell me again how easy it is to get a license in Cali. Lol

https://www.contractortalk.com/f63/c...#/topics/32617

Mike.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #17
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 5,410

Quote:
I love this forum

So some places in the US dont even require licensing? Might be moving there if I cant get mine here. My old man has plenty of experience and has built several new homes (before licensing was required in my state) but as most of his experience is in remodelling its hard for him to get the new home licence..

Oh yeah I want a lift kit on my truck!
If you do come here, and want to be legit - take Michigan off your A list.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
John the Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
I learned a lot about plumbing DWV as a form carpenter though as well.

Trim you learn a lot about who sucks at their job in foundation/frame and all the I terror trades as they are related to you

What in the world are "I terror trades"?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
If you do come here, and want to be legit - take Michigan off your A list.
How come? I am seriously considering moving just for one or two years while im 25 still sort of young haha. (no kids) just to put down some money and build new homes and sell them..ive done it once here in australia although kept the property as a rental. You only need a total of 4 builds to present to the licensing body, however you cant build unless you have a licence (i owner built my first one) - and you can only owner build every 4 years.

I'm considering texas, but im not too sure yet, just reviewing things at the moment, working part time in renos with my old man and studying the bachelors in construction management. Once i'm done ill have these qualifications

Certificate in carpentry (qual carpenter)
diploma building and construction
bachelor of applied science (const mgmt) (honours)

passionate about doing this for a living, have been brought up around contracting, want to do something big with life (lol), especially after i got a sh88 mark for my high school certificate. Want to build new homes, want to live in the US even for a short period of time.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #20
John the Builder

Quote:
How come? I am seriously considering moving just for one or two years while im 25 still sort of young haha. (no kids) just to put down some money and build new homes and sell them..ive done it once here in australia although kept the property as a rental. You only need a total of 4 builds to present to the licensing body, however you cant build unless you have a licence (i owner built my first one) - and you can only owner build every 4 years.

I'm considering texas, but im not too sure yet, just reviewing things at the moment, working part time in renos with my old man and studying the bachelors in construction management. Once i'm done ill have these qualifications

Certificate in carpentry (qual carpenter)
diploma building and construction
bachelor of applied science (const mgmt) (honours)

passionate about doing this for a living, have been brought up around contracting, want to do something big with life (lol), especially after i got a sh88 mark for my high school certificate. Want to build new homes, want to live in the US even for a short period of time.
In this state, it does not matter whether you even know which end of the nail goes in the wood. However:

Michigan General Contractor License Requirements
Being at least 18 years old.
Maintaining a Michigan driver's license.
Completing 60 hours of approved prelicensure courses.
Passing your residential or maintenance and alteration contractor exam.
Paying all application and licensing fees.

and:

RESIDENTIAL BUILDERS AND M & A CONTRACTORS** RENEWAL & CONTINUING COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS **How many hours of continuing competency do I needto report at the time of renewal?Reference: MCL 339.2404b(2)

If you were originally licensedprior to January 1, 2009you are required to complete the followingevery 3 years: □1 hour covering building codes and laws related to the licensed occupation□1 hour covering safety□1 hour covering changes in construction and business management laws

If you were originally licensed after January 1, 2009you are required to complete the followingevery 3 years for the first 6 years of licensure:□A minimum of 3 hours each year□A total of 21 hours withinthe first 3 years of licensureand an additional 21 hours during the second 3-year license cycleconsisting of:□1 hour covering building codes and laws related to the licensedoccupation□1 hourcovering safety□1 hour covering changes in construction and business management laws□18 hours of “other topics” (see below)

If you were originally licensed after January 1, 2009and have been licensed for more than 6 years you are required to complete the followingevery 3 years:□1 hour covering building codes and laws related to the licensed occupation□1 hour covering safety□1 hour covering changes in construction and business management laws

Advertisement