Subfloor And Rain - Construction - Contractor Talk

Subfloor And Rain

Old 01-04-2005, 10:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Subfloor And Rain

They began framing my house and unfortunatly it has rained quite a bit on the subfloor. I live in Michigan so we weren't expecting any rain in December, go figure. The material used is plywood but I don't know the grade etc, is there a way to tell by looking at the sheets? I already see some dilaminating and buckeling. Not sure if these are the right terms but basically the top layer in some areas is coming up, not the entire sheet but small areas starting at the edge. I also see some small areas that bubble/bulge upward. I'll try to take pictures. I have two questions:

1) Will this cause problems with the 3" solid hardwood flooring that is installed later?

2) Can they replace the subfloor if the walls are up? They have all the walls studded out on the first floor, can they work around these since they are nailed into the subfloor?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Subfloor And Rain

You need to allow it to dry well before you can tell any extent on damage, then chect the joints between the sheets, thats a likely place for the ply to push up.

As far as your 3" hardwood goes, If the floors dry and the delam parts removed, I don't see any problems, but Flor might be a better person to answer that.

The only way I'd even consider plywood replacement is if the dammage is massive.

Lay over with underlayment later would be an option.

Bob

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 01:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I'm sure they are useing 3/4 " T & G on your flooring. It is bound to get wet during construction. You will see minor flaking and or peeling. This is nothing to get alarmed about.

We will get you through this.........

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
I'm sure they are useing 3/4 " T & G on your flooring. It is bound to get wet during construction. You will see minor flaking and or peeling. This is nothing to get alarmed about.

We will get you through this.........

Mark
Yes it is 3/4 inch tongue and groove. You mean you guys can sense my stress lol... Maybe I'll have a big bash when the house is done and invite everyone that has helped me, purely to see if the floor will hold up that is lol...
Old 01-04-2005, 03:26 PM   #5

Been doing this for over 20 years. Been on both sides construction and sales, so I can spot the anxiety a mile away so to speak. If you are not at your homesite evry day or everyother I will be amazed. I could tell you stories that go on forever.

It will be ok. we are here for ya!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I do quite a bit of flooring and I don't care for your description of the subfloor. I would recommend that you pay for an independent appraisal from another flooring contractor (I would charge about $50-75 for this). If only the top ply has delaminated, it can usually be pulled back down. If 2 plies are loose, you are going to have problems.
Spend the money if only for your peace of mind.

Last edited by Teetorbilt; 01-05-2005 at 01:12 AM. Reason: dyslexia
Old 01-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #7

Quick question.......

Was this 3/4 Ply or 3/4 OSB
Old 01-05-2005, 10:06 AM   #8

It's 3/4 ply
Old 01-05-2005, 12:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidaj
It's 3/4 ply
By the time they have you framed and dried in with the roof on, it will give the wood a chace to dry out. By the time you have fiished all mechanicals, elctrical and plumb rough ins, it should have plenty time to dry.

You may have a raised bubble here and there, as well as some flaking or peeling on edge due to the water. Due to lot's of storms or incliment weather while framing is going on this can happen. Before any flooring is installed a good builder will mark these areas and scrap and sand down to an acceptable
floor level. They also make a compound that can be put on and sanded for rough areas. This is almost like bondo on a car. I hope that makes sense.

The biggest thing you will notice is it will get better the more it has a chance to dry out during construction. This is normal when plywood gets wet during construction.

Mark
Old 01-05-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
Custom Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eidaj
Yes it is 3/4 inch tongue and groove. You mean you guys can sense my stress lol... Maybe I'll have a big bash when the house is done and invite everyone that has helped me, purely to see if the floor will hold up that is lol...
Big Bash?.......I'll bring the beer, who's got the steaks?

Bob
Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #11

I know a really good butcher shop............ New Yorks or T-Bone?
Old 01-06-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
Custom Builder

T-BONE......oh yes!.....Grilled for 60 seconds.

Bob
Old 01-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I may be heading for the Great White North! Bob, you're cooking!

Advertisement