Steel Framing - Construction - Contractor Talk

Steel Framing

Old 11-24-2004, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Steel Framing

Does anyone here use steel for residential framing? Structurally-- not just non-loads..

If anyone has experience, how much longer did it take on your first?

Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Steel Framing

I have used I-beams over unusual spans, 24ft. of free space, 4 six ft. sliders. This was brought to an abrupt halt by hurricane Andrew.
Placing them and boxing them in is about 3 times the cost of standard post and beam construction.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2004, 03:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I have not actually participated in the residential process of steel framing, but have worked for companies that have done structual res. framing. The only 2 main difference are that it is a lot more $$$$$, and that instead of traditional stick fraqming like it used to be, the walls come in 4' panels. You work them like a giant errector set. Stand up one panel, plumb it fasten it and stand the next one up, secure the two together and keep going. Trusses are also steel. For beams and headers, box beams made out of 2 pieces of track and 2 studs are used for headers over anything 4' or longer. If you can getr past the part of thinking metal is different than wood, it's just as easy if not easier, working with steel than it is with wood. Hope this helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I've been framing walls with steel studs for years now, usually 20 guage.It's cheaper & much faster. You just have to think ahead & make sure you install backing for wall hung cabinets, grab bars, ect, & wrap door openings W 2xs. All walls should be insulated w unfaced for sound. Some inspectors might require 18ga & hex head s-tapping screws.

Last edited by davagogo; 01-07-2005 at 07:35 PM.