Sonic Booms - Construction - Contractor Talk

Sonic Booms

Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #1

Trade: Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 75

Sonic Booms

Has anyone had to repair damage from sonic booms. Over our area they are testing the F-35 JSF. Once a week we get the loudest window rattling sonic booms ever. I don't know how low they are flying but when it's cloudy overhead you think the house is coming down, I have a brick house at that. It shook so bad last week my sliding patio door came off the track. It wasn't latched, but the front roller jumped inside the track. I thought the door was coming down. The pictures on the walls shake and the dishes rattle in the cabinets.
I know they wouldn't let the Concorde fly overland supersonic due to this. I'll be glad when they get finished. I think they fly out of Marietta Ga over Tn and then back, they always come in twos, one feels like a Nuke and one like a smaller Nuke. The first one we heard my wife said that scared the crap out me, I said that what freedom sounds like, by the time the taliban hears it, they're already dead.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeler/gc
Rewards Points: 288

Re: Sonic Booms

We had one up here a couple years ago. The President was in town and some Cesna wandered into the restricted air space around AF1. They scrambled some Air Force F-15's from Portland and hit the gas.

I was 28' feet up a ladder when the sonic boom went over. HOLY CRAP. I thought the gas station 2 blocks away had blown up. Car alarms went off everywhere. I didn't know it was a sonic boom till I heard it on the radio.

I don't remember hearing about any actual damage but it wouldn't surprise me.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to robert c1 For This Useful Post:
nEighter (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

That's sounds crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,726

It wasn't that uncommon when I was a kid, living close to air force training areas. Unless the aircraft is really low, like less then 24,000 feet, the pressure wave sounds more like distant thunder, or rather, a clap of thunder. Lower, it obviously sounds like, and feels very much like a close lightening strike.

Been awhile since I read the rules, but military aircraft are generally not permitted to fly supersonic at any altitude lower then 40,000 agl over any populated areas.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #5

The one we had last Thursday sounded like lightning striking a transformer under my kitchen table. We have the AEDC test facilty next door to town, its like 100 sq miles of nothing, we asked the Air force commander at AEDC about the populated areas clause, and he said we weren't a populated area. 18,000 people in town 60,000 people in county and not a populated area. I wish I could video one and Youtube it for yall to hear.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Smart phone? Scan me!

Trade: Painting/Framing/Drywall
Rewards Points: 1,008

the SR71 used to have a specific flight pattern, they were not allowed to fly it above large cities and such because of this very problem. Thing about the F-22/35 planes is that they can go mach 1+ without afterburner..
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom Closets and Shower Doors
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh20 View Post
The one we had last Thursday sounded like lightning striking a transformer under my kitchen table. We have the AEDC test facilty next door to town, its like 100 sq miles of nothing, we asked the Air force commander at AEDC about the populated areas clause, and he said we weren't a populated area. 18,000 people in town 60,000 people in county and not a populated area. I wish I could video one and Youtube it for yall to hear.
I live in Huntsville and go up to AEDC to mountain bike several times a year....love it
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 AM   #8
Aureli Construction

Wow crazy indeed.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

We have a lot of military aircraft practice from the airport near me. It's about 2 miles away and never heard one sonic boom to date. From what the locals say they are allowed to break the rules for reasons like possible threats and war but in any populated area where damage can be done its not normally allowed. I used to live on the ocean and often heard sonic booms from tests out at sea. It's unreal how far the sound travels over water. It would still shake your windows when they were 20+ miles out. My dad used to work on the oil rigs and hear them all the time he said being near one when it does it is unreal and it feels like the rig exploded
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Contractor/PM/Designer
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert c1 View Post
We had one up here a couple years ago. The President was in town and some Cesna wandered into the restricted air space around AF1. They scrambled some Air Force F-15's from Portland and hit the gas.

I was 28' feet up a ladder when the sonic boom went over. HOLY CRAP. I thought the gas station 2 blocks away had blown up. Car alarms went off everywhere. I didn't know it was a sonic boom till I heard it on the radio.

I don't remember hearing about any actual damage but it wouldn't surprise me.
I remember that one, shook the entire house like an explosion, blow in insulation was literally falling from around all the can lights...windows rattling, car alarms going off, good stuff.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

BCC - You must be near Oceana where the plane from the ships are sent before the carriers enter Chesapeake Bay. I lived near there (Laskin Road and VB Boulevard). They always seemed to come in in pairs every minute or two as they unloaded or went out to sea at low speeds. In our situation, they were low enough so you could almost read the patterns on the helmets, but noise was still high. You are right about the ability of the sound from a sonis boom to travel great distances when the water reflects everything up and the clouds or weather can hold it down, so it just goes horizontally.

Once I was driving across North Dakota and was passed by a B52 that was 50 yards to the side and about 200' above and I almost was blown off the road. - Apparently radar evasion maneuvers.

Regarding the possible damages to buildings, the effects of aircraft and similar events on buildings and structures are different than the normal loadings that were considered in the model building codes (IBC, IRC) because the loads come from unusual, unpredictable directions and are cyclical at different frequencies that normal winds and seismic activities.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Politics determines where military bases are installed and enlarged. Places with large populations want the $ from a base so they get them, then they complain about the stuff the base does. The base commanders are required to mitigate so they are forced to dumb-down the training drills.

The air force (and army and navy air corps) need to practice high-speed low level flight (radar evading) somewhere. They need to make bombing runs where they really drop dummy warheads, they need to practice dog fights, they need to practice steep ascents from low level. All these things are obnoxious to those on the ground.

If our military was really about solving real military issues, the bases would be out in the great open spaces of the southwest. Our military is more often about political favors and welfare to states and corporations.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
BCC - You must be near Oceana where the plane from the ships are sent before the carriers enter Chesapeake Bay. I lived near there (Laskin Road and VB Boulevard). They always seemed to come in in pairs every minute or two as they unloaded or went out to sea at low speeds. In our situation, they were low enough so you could almost read the patterns on the helmets, but noise was still high. You are right about the ability of the sound from a sonis boom to travel great distances when the water reflects everything up and the clouds or weather can hold it down, so it just goes horizontally.

Once I was driving across North Dakota and was passed by a B52 that was 50 yards to the side and about 200' above and I almost was blown off the road. - Apparently radar evasion maneuvers.

Regarding the possible damages to buildings, the effects of aircraft and similar events on buildings and structures are different than the normal loadings that were considered in the model building codes (IBC, IRC) because the loads come from unusual, unpredictable directions and are cyclical at different frequencies that normal winds and seismic activities.
The stuff out at sea was when I lived in the UK. It was also right across the water from the firing ranges were and they was as loud as the sonic booms. The airport here is just a civilian airport but they they use it to do test landings on the presidents aircraft and they do the same with a few military ones from bombers to fighter jets. They also use the local lake and dam as a bombing run from time to time but they never break SB there either though. Crazy seeing them fly so low over the water.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #14

Trade: Apprentice-Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Building Interior Sonic Boom Video

Enjoy!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,431

We used to get them here whenever the Space Shuttle would land at the Kennedy Space center about 20 miles North of my place. Sometimes would be worse than others depending on how close to us the Shuttle would re-enter the atmosphere.
Here's a video of the sonic booms from the very last space shuttle misson. Turn volume up real loud so you get the full effect.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 53,000 Subscribers and over 9,500,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
Old 02-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeh20 View Post
As long as they stay away from Lynchburg area. We don't want any sonic booms like that near the J.D. Distillery
Old 02-23-2012, 02:59 AM   #17

They hear them in Lynchburg also, and George Dickel is just 3 miles to the north of town. I can only imagine what it sounds like in one of those tin covered barrel warehouses.
The flight plan they told us about says they leave Atlanta/Marietta GA and fly up I-75 and then up the Sequatchie valley and jump over the mountain about Crossville Tn and over us then down to below Huntsville Al and then back across Lookout mountain to Atlanta/Marietta. When they are over us on clear days you can see them. It's always 2 planes and its every week, either Wednesday or Thursday. Going on 3 years now.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
General Contractor

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 12

Maybe AEDC has moved some stuff outdoors? Didn't they install a new Mach 8 chamber a while back?

Advertisement

Last edited by Willie T; 02-23-2012 at 09:29 AM.