Poor Framing/concrete Pad Work From Contractor - Construction - Contractor Talk

Poor Framing/concrete Pad Work From Contractor

Old 10-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Trade: Rehabber, and Electrician
Rewards Points: 10

Poor Framing/concrete Pad Work From Contractor

I hired a licensed contractor to pour 3 concrete pads that would hold columns and a 6x6 beam in the basement for added support. I ended up digging down about 3.5 feet and he was supposed to fill it with concrete. I get there and all he poured was 8-12" right into the hole without rebar and/or any wood to form it. The columns are now placed into a hole 2.5 feet deep holding the beams. The beams are not even fastened to the columns they are just sitting on top of them. The joists that were sistered do not go the full length from beam to beam. He didnt use any kind of lag or carriage bolt to support the joists that were sistered. He used a mid sized decking screw. Now he wants to get paid but I think he needs to get this thing right. What should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Poor framing/concrete pad work from contractor-img_0020.jpg   Poor framing/concrete pad work from contractor-img_0022.jpg   Poor framing/concrete pad work from contractor-basement.jpg  

Last edited by netlinks; 10-26-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: Poor Framing/concrete Pad Work From Contractor

You should show him the spec in the plan you provided and the scope of work in his contract and tell him to do it that way

Advertisement

greg24k (10-26-2012), moorewarner (10-26-2012), Sir Mixalot (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming
Rewards Points: 504

Ugh.

Looks like a rehabbing job all right.

Did you dig the holes wide enough for him to form and strip?

What does the engineered permit drawings call out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #4

There was no specs or drawings. This is a support wall being added to support the floor above which was sagging. Also some of the joists were bad so they were sistered. The problem here is that this does not conform to building codes. If you sister a joist it has to go from beam to beam you cant stop halfway. Correct me if I am wrong. Also the column is just sitting in the hole with only about 8" of concrete on the bottom. I was looking for feedback.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

If it doesn't meet code or pass inspection you may have some recourse. I believe you are correct that a sistered joist must run bearing support to bearing support, at minimum I would do that way. As for the footing, without knowing what your code allows for and all the associated loads it carries no one can answer that question.

So, the feedback stays the same, what's the spec and what's the scope of work. I know you don't have one, that's the problem. Now you have a he said, she said going on. Ah, the value of a contract whether it be a $ 100.00 job or a $ 1,000,000.00 job, it serves the same purpose and a properly written spec.

I'm not saying just you are wrong, your both wrong, you should have given him a spec, failing that he should have requested one, and it should have been a schedule in the contract. It's amazing how a little job becomes a problem.

Now to help you out, I would call the guy up and ask him how he arrived at the footing that he did and the joist repair. If he knows he did a short cut you may either get him to fix it or get a rebate on his bill and then redo it yourself, chances are he's not coming back to do it the way you want or think it should be done, he's made that evident by the looks of it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Why was the hole dug 3.5' deep? How wide the the "footing"? Were there some plans or just guesses/ideas?

For a 6"x6" post with decent soil, there does not need to be reinforcement in the small footing since the load from the post is distributed to the soil at a 45 degree angle Only shear in the concrete and no flexure. An overly wide footing could require some reinforcement.

The screws may or may not have been right depending on the loads to the joists and "posts".

It sounds like a "seat of the pants design" that may even end up being better(or worse) than what was really needed. when you try to be the designer and "general contractor" and hire subcontractors for parts of a job, the only one liable is the "general contractor".

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 10-26-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,186

First of all, don't pay this guy until this is done the right way.

Second of all, this is a structural repair and permit should have been filed and job should be inspected... not to mention there should be architectural detail drawing.

Third of all, each time I look at this picture it makes me wanna laugh, because there is some idiots out there who have no clue what they doing...
Attached Images

Chris Johnson (10-26-2012), moorewarner (10-26-2012), Needles (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

by sistering the joists the way he did, he provided a deflection rating of whatever a 2x8, which the shear strength of a 2x6.
for what its worth

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
Old 10-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramingPro View Post
by sistering the joists the way he did, he provided a deflection rating of whatever a 2x8, which the shear strength of a 2x6.
for what its worth
"He provided a deflection rating of whatever a 2x8, which the shear strength of a 2x6"

I do not understand this sentence. Can you please explain a little better?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by netlinks View Post
"He provided a deflection rating of whatever a 2x8, which the shear strength of a 2x6"

I do not understand this sentence. Can you please explain a little better?
by sistering the middle portion, its like the joist is a 2x8..
but since this 2x8 is not bearing at the plate, u still have the strength of a 2x6 bearing, and if the weight is great enough it could potentially shear or snap off at the plate

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,447

This one's a tough call, because the OP does indeed appear to be a contractor. However, he has no history of participating here as such, and has only posted homeowner-type questions. Since more than one member has reported this thread as inappropriate, I'm closing it and its companion thread with the DIY boilerplate.

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
tucnasam (02-11-2016)