Particle Board Question Please - Construction - Contractor Talk

Particle Board Question Please

Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing
Rewards Points: 500

Particle Board Question Please

is partcle board (not OSB) used as sheathing for walls instead of plywood?
is it common?
where is partcle board safest to use?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Particle Board Question Please

OSB--Oriented strand board---sometimes used for sheathing but never by me. Paticle board and OSB are similar if not the same, the main differences are the particle sizes, tighter chips are used in boards the get laminated for kitchen cabs or countertops..Here are some photos of different types GMOD

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

link problem--google particle board IMAGES

Advertisement

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 01-10-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fixed it for ya Gene!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 110

Unless they have come up with a new formula for Particle board - it should never be used for sheathing & no it is not common anywhere I have been

Some cheap builders & most mobile home manufacturs use it for subflooring, but I don't recomend that

Where is it safest to use - subflooring & cabinet boxes where the house has plenty of time to air out from the off gassing & there is minimal chance of moisture getting to it
greg24k (02-04-2010), pinwheel (01-10-2010), reveivl (01-20-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 692

We used it under carpet & linoleum a lot in the late 80's. Now that the trend is hardwood. I hate telling potential clients their job is gonna be a couple bucks more per sq ft cause we gotta rip that stuff out & put in a more suitable subfloor before we can put down their new hardwood.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
. Paticle board and OSB are similar if not the same,
That's like saying Iron and Copper are similar if not the same.

OSB is structural, particle board is not. OSB is rated for exterior, particle board is not.

To the original question, particle board is not for use as sheathing/decking but is used as underlayment for some types of flooring as well as boxes for most stock cabinets.

Particle board is the normal base for laminate. countertops. If kept dry it is quite stable. Plywood and OSB will not provide a smooth enough and stable enough surface for laminate countertops.

Particle board is better than OSB or plywood for speaker enclosures because of its weight and stability. There are many applications where additional weight is a plus.

OSB, plywood and particle board are are all good products in the the correct applications.
The Following User Says Thank You to thom For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by davinci View Post
is it common?
No it is not,

Funny story.
Was working in an industrial park site as an employee for a carpentry contractor about 30 years ago who was working for the developer who was a medium to large masonry contractor. The president of this developer hired his nephew "Perry" to supervise and oversee all work in this small one street industrial park. Now Perry had a lot of experience when it came to concrete and masonry, curb and walk, block and slab, But when it came to Carpentry aspects. He was clueless. We were pretty much doing anything that had to do with carpentry on these jobs. One building we were fabricating a lumber framed cornice detail that hung over the top of a particular building. We had fabricated sort of a truss system that hung over the parapet and were waiting on the roof for the sheathing. Perry shows up with a skid of........ something .....on a lull and starts elevating it to the roof where we were working. As it gets closer me and Dave noticed it aint plywood. Its 3/4 particle board!!!! We start wavin our arms down at Perry on the lull and shout down at him. WTF is this? Perry? He shouts back he got a deal on it and wants us to use it as sheathing over this parapet 40 feet in the air. I try arguing with him but he insists we at least TRY to use it. Ever try to hang particle board of a parapet up on pipe scaffolding? After a single sheet me and Dave both conclude this is nuts and go to the office down the street and tell Perry to take this stuff away. He did, Wonder where he is today? All that I can find in relation to that company is the Blvd named for the company in that industrial park.

Last edited by A W Smith; 01-10-2010 at 07:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to A W Smith For This Useful Post:
mudpad (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Project Superintendent

Trade: General Contractor

And then there is MDF, which is an upgrade to particle board, a better choice for any application that will stay dry, but definitely not for sheathing or roof deck.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

Here is a quick little read on the similarities and the differences of the two

http://www.hardwoodflooringtalk.com/...-board-osb.htm

Regardless if some consider it suitable for exterior applications, i do not feel comfortable with having it exposed unprotected as long as i would with a piece of CDX. GMOD
Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

Particle board was used for sub-flooring on mobile homes. I don't think it is used for any type of sheathing now though.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #10

Trade: design / build defense contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
is it common?
no, particle board doesn't have the structural properties of either oriented strand board (osb) or plywood.

think of structural wood as a naturally grown bundle of straws. its strength is in the collection of straws acting together, naturally. osb and plywood are smaller pieces of natural wood glued together in plates. strength is the result of human intervention with glue, layering and orientation of these smaller / thinner cuts of natural wood that individually and collectively retain that bundle of straw properties. glue-laminated beams are this same principal but with of much thicker stock wood. conventionally speaking structural timber design starts with this basic principal.

particle board is made of saw dust, any remnant of the woods natural straw-like quality gone. its structural qualities are in the glue and geometry of the shape. that's enough for some purposes but not enough to hold a building together.

Last edited by wheeler; 01-20-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #11

Trade: home
Rewards Points: 10

Particle board has a tendency to swell up when painted. When it drys it will most likely end up very rough looking.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 93

Quote:
is it common?
I was watching a documentary on the rebuilding of hurricane damage homes on the east coast. I was surprised they were using OSB for the walls and roof. I always thought plywood was superior, but after seeing that, I don't know.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #13
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

OSB is rated for wall sheathing and/or roof sheathing. Is it any good? I guess so, but my house has plywood.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
Making a living

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom remodel, general contractor
Rewards Points: 182

I am amazed where I see the stuff, but if I am there it is because it is failed. It has to be 100% dry with no chance of repeated or prolonged moisture contact. Here is a vote for tile floors in a bathroom. But I guess I should be lobbying for more use of particle board as it brings me more work in the future
Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 PM   #15

Trade: Home Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSTech View Post
Unless they have come up with a new formula for Particle board - it should never be used for sheathing & no it is not common anywhere I have been

Some cheap builders & most mobile home manufacturs use it for subflooring, but I don't recomend that

Where is it safest to use - subflooring & cabinet boxes where the house has plenty of time to air out from the off gassing & there is minimal chance of moisture getting to it
Agreed. I would never use particle board in subflooring, or anywhere else moisture can get to. Particle board is terrible for absorbing water.

Last edited by joesmith; 05-27-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
New Guy

Trade: carpenter cont.

Particle board is only for non-structural use. PERIOD!!! Any attempt to use it as a sheathing is dangerous. ( would like to see the guy that can nail it along edges without it blowing apart ) I know most responses have said not to use it, but I would stress that a guy can fall thru particle board if used as roof sheathing. I also can't imagine any bldg. inspector approving it. It IS good for laminate counter tops, But whenever I mention the possibility of Formica to a customer nowadays, they look at me like
Old 09-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 508

Just did a job where a lady in a mobile home went to town , left a window open in bedroom, rained while she was gone. We had to replace that whole section of floor. I was always told OSB was wood chips glued together, while particle board was sawdust glued together.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Heres some sheets of partical board stacked in my workshop

Opps sorry thats my stack of wetabix but its as strong as partical board.

The both act the same when wet
Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,748

Taste about the same too!

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Rustbucket For This Useful Post:
FramingPro (09-19-2012)