Other Guys Built A Steel Garage On A Flat Slab... Now Water Leaks In. Any Ideas? - Construction - Contractor Talk

Other Guys Built A Steel Garage On A Flat Slab... Now Water Leaks In. Any Ideas?

Old 02-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 58

Other Guys Built A Steel Garage On A Flat Slab... Now Water Leaks In. Any Ideas?

So, this customer of mine just had a garage built by another contractor. These guys poured a 30x30 concrete slab completely flat (well almost) and put a 24x24 steel garage on it. That leaves a 6 foot apron in the front and a 6 foot wide sidewalk on one side. Well guess what happens when it rains! Water seeps in from the perimeter and pools in the middle of the garage.

Short of tearing it down and starting over, anybody have some ideas on how to best fix this? I'm thinking some sealer around the exterior perimeter and a threshold at the garage door would stop most of the water. I could possibly cut some drainage channels in the exterior concrete too. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Garage Water Problems 2.pdf (159.7 KB, 92 views)
File Type: pdf Garage Water Problems.pdf (145.7 KB, 81 views)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 220

Re: Other Guys Built A Steel Garage On A Flat Slab... Now Water Leaks In. Any Ideas?

Get rid of the 3 feet of concrete all the way around, and slope away from building

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
bwiab (02-13-2019), Calidecks (02-13-2019), CENTERLINE MV (02-12-2019), Golden view (02-12-2019), Sam @ PWE (02-12-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 612

Re: Other Guys Built A Steel Garage On A Flat Slab... Now Water Leaks In. Any Ideas?

Well some kind of seal/sealant around the base has to help some, but all that water over time ? rust out the siding then the bolts holding down the bottom plate.

How about cutting in a deco drain system, trying to put a grade at that slab would be a real pain.

It seems to me the contractor who built this is to blame and should step up to the plate.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

I agree with dayexco. What’s the slab detail? Monolithic? Frostwall? I’d tear the concrete perimeter, excavate around the perimeter 6” deep and pitch away from there if possible if not, perf pipe, gravel, dry well, and gutters.

Can you show us pictures of the outside? The pictures you posted aren’t super helpful.....
Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Professional Painter!
Rewards Points: 928

I'd probably start with grinding a slope on the exposed exterior and see if that will take care of it.

Make sure the grade around it is sloped away at 1/2" per foot minimum, as well as being a couple inches below slab edge.

www.gebcon.com
Old 02-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General and Trades
Rewards Points: 3,400

Add a porch. Short of creating slope, water isn't going to be stopped.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to META For This Useful Post:
Caleb1989 (02-13-2019), Gumshoe (02-14-2019), mrcat (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
New Guy

That's the only pictures I've got right now. It's not an issue of bad grading. It's just a big flat 6"-ish slab of concrete that's plenty high above grade. It's really just rain that lands on the exterior of the slab is making it's way to the interior because it's not properly sloped.

And yes she's going after the other contractor for reimbursement. Unfortunately for her she paid the full balance of the job before it was done.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,344

Ah... the fact that it isn't properly sloped would mean it isn't graded properly. At least that is my understanding. But I'm not a State certified drainage guy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,064

Who builds a building that much smaller than the slab? Or, who pours a slab that much larger than the building is to be?
Hmmmm?
I just don't get it. I think the HO is to blame for letting it get that far and paying before completion.

ETA: Rent a demo saw and cut all the excess slab away!
The Following User Says Thank You to dave_dj1 For This Useful Post:
Sam @ PWE (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #10
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam @ PWE View Post
That's the only pictures I've got right now. It's not an issue of bad grading. It's just a big flat 6"-ish slab of concrete that's plenty high above grade. It's really just rain that lands on the exterior of the slab is making it's way to the interior because it's not properly sloped.

And yes she's going after the other contractor for reimbursement. Unfortunately for her she paid the full balance of the job before it was done.
Aaaahhhhh... gotcha. I didnít read thoroughly enough. Didnít realize they poured a giant slab and threw the garage in the middle of it, basically.

How about cutting out a 6Ē wide perimeter (essentially making the garage have its own slab), and adding perf pipe pitching to daylight or drywell, and filling with gravel?
Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
The Following User Says Thank You to CENTERLINE MV For This Useful Post:
Sam @ PWE (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #11
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,728

bet there arent any gutters on the building
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Caleb1989 (02-13-2019), Robie (02-13-2019), Sam @ PWE (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #12
New Guy

Good call, you're right there aren't any gutters on there either.

Thanks for the replies guys, I should know there's no easy way to do it. Just want to make sure I'm not missing something big here. First time I looked at the garage I was thinking...they must know something I don't. But, it turned out to be the other way around!

Cutting in a channel drain seems like a pretty good solution without having to remove all the exterior concrete. That along with sealing the perimeter should be a good fix I'd imagine.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 34,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam @ PWE View Post

If she's going to go after the original contractor for reimbursement, you might want to make sure she's given him the opportunity to fix the issue before you get in the middle...

Either that, or make sure contractually that your compensation is not tied in any way to her resolution with the original contractor and is independent...

Last edited by KAP; 02-12-2019 at 10:14 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
bwiab (02-13-2019), Sam @ PWE (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:26 AM   #14
Pro

Would it be possible to just cut a curf in the slab, run flashing into it and seal it with a good sealant such as sashco or such? Then add gutters and it may do the trick. Is it coming in the door as well, or from the sides? That's what I'd do on my own place. But then again, I'm a bit of a hillbilly when it comes to my own stuff.

Best case, is cut the slab away and repour with a slope.

Even just adding gutters will help a ton.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 864

It will never be right like that. You can caulk and gasket under the base till the cows come home and it will still eventually leak.

If you intend that to be a permanent structure and you need "dry", then you are going to have to get it properly installed. I'd think about moving it off the slab in one piece, then cutting the slab down to the proper size so the outside edge of slab is flush with the outside edge of that base channel, not the outside of the siding ribs. Then drop the grade around perimeter so water sheds away.

Really should have a rat guard / drip flashing on bottom of wall panels and foam closures in the rib cavities too. Looks like one of those cheap tube structure kits. They're really not a great solution for a permanent building. Most people would probably just live with a little leakage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Sam @ PWE (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

Wow.... I see **** like this and can't believe people get pissed at me????
Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 286

Overhangs, gutters, and seal the bottom of wall.
Trifecta achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #18
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,710

Put a stone veneer on the sidewalk sloping away from the building. Maybe even tile. First apply a band of sheet metal to the walls.

Mike.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,710

Or cut a strip next to the building and apply a trench drain around the perimeter.

Mike.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiab View Post
Wow.... I see **** like this and can't believe people get pissed at me????
Yep. Funny how that works. I miss one nail head doing trim and I get called on it. Other part of house, all the trim is short and crooked, looks great they say. Or some version of that.

Advertisement

bwiab (02-14-2019), SmallTownGuy (02-13-2019), tgeb (02-13-2019)