New Furred 2 X 6 Wall Infront Of Concrete Block Wall. - Construction - Contractor Talk

New Furred 2 X 6 Wall Infront Of Concrete Block Wall.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #1

Trade: Architecture
Rewards Points: 10

New Furred 2 X 6 Wall Infront Of Concrete Block Wall.

Hi guys,

I have a few questions regarding a bathroom add on im working on at the moment...
Im adding 2 new bathrooms to a existing church chapel in the bay area, which includes demoing 2 existing offices and converting them into the bathrooms. I need to add a 2 x 6 furred plumbing wall to the face of the existing concrete block wall, which is an exterior wall, but Im struggling with choosing a way to secure the furred wall....either to bolt it to the existing conc. floor and wall or just bolt it to the existing floor and roof structure. The thing is, the existing roof stucture includes parrellel wood joist, so I not sure whats underneath the exisiting ceiling, like if there is and gyp backing....so im hesitant to asume that i can secure it to the existing ceiling since i really dont know exactly whats in there.
Also, do you think its necessary to have space between the new wall and the existing conc. block wall?
Ive attached some pics of the plan (new walls in grey) and a few detail sketches for top and bottom connections....let me know your thoughts...thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf h 02.pdf (16.6 KB, 361 views)
File Type: pdf h 03.pdf (10.7 KB, 257 views)
File Type: pdf h 01.pdf (8.3 KB, 231 views)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: New Furred 2 X 6 Wall Infront Of Concrete Block Wall.

Architects generally tell us how do things, this is unusual for an architect to ask us how do something.

Architects don't usually care what it costs either, they just rip out existing stuff and repair/replace as needed.

Advertisement

davitk (03-22-2012), skillman (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,002

A 2X6 wall that isn't load bearing would normally be built just to accommodate the vents and drains. If the plumbing can be run behind the wall, that could make the plumbing install faster and a 2X4 wall could be used. Either way, you should allow for the wall to be out from the existing wall so it can be built square to the room.

Nomally, I'd cut the ceiling open where the top plate will be, block between the joists / rafters, and install a single top plate. Build the wall flat on the floor and tip it into place, then fasten it top and bottom.

If you don't integrate the wall with the ceiling structure, you have to float the drywall at the wall / ceiling corners. Since the ceiling is there already, I don't see how you'd avoid drywall cracking as the ceiling would move separate from the wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 02:28 AM   #4

hdavis...thanks for the reply...
is this what you had in mind? i left a space between the new wall and the existing with 3/4" rigid insulation, blocked out the header to match the existing window opening and the new wall, and then opened up the existing ceiling to add a block to tie in the stud to the top...you can see in the attched section sketch that the joists are running parellel to the new wall... im also adding 2 x 6 wood joist to suport the new lower sheet rock ceiling.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf h 08.pdf (16.5 KB, 268 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,476

Usually 1" air space is acceptable by most codes between block wall and stud wall to allow air circulation to dissipate moisture build up and prevent mold build...In addition your walls are over 10' in lenght, you should indicate vertical fire stop 10' OC

Last edited by greg24k; 03-23-2012 at 08:42 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (03-23-2012), skillman (03-23-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

keep your studs off the wall so you can insulate behind them and create a thermal break. if the joists are parallel to the wall then just add blocking. and nail your wall to the blocks

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 108

It is a non structural wall, only used for the convenience of the plumbing.
Attach to floor and ceiling and if the C.J.s are parallel, then block between C.J.s about 24" O.C. or 16" if that makes you feel better and nail the top plate to those.
I am assuming you are in the San Fransisco bay area so I don't think I would be too concerned about a thermal break between the masonry wall and the new plumbing wall.
Also I think you will have a little problem with the door swing encroaching into the 5' turn-around area. I believe the doors need to be further form the end walls too. The window needs to be designated as tempered glass too.

Andy.

P.S. Here are a couple examples, the door openings need to be 18" from end walls, fixtures 18" O.C. etc.
Attached Thumbnails
New furred 2 x 6 wall infront of concrete block wall.-ada.jpg   New furred 2 x 6 wall infront of concrete block wall.-ada-2.jpg  

Last edited by ScipioAfricanus; 03-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
greg24k (03-23-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
Eater of sins.

Well just call me Mr. thread killer.

Andy.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus
Well just call me Mr. thread killer.

Andy.
But not for the reasons your thinking..
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (03-24-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Eater of sins.

Apparently the FED says the door can turn into the turning space.

Interesting, I will have to check with state law too.

Andy.
Attached Thumbnails
New furred 2 x 6 wall infront of concrete block wall.-turning-space-ii.jpg   New furred 2 x 6 wall infront of concrete block wall.-turning-space.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #11

Thanks for the info Andy....
Yes youre right about the door swing...I had another question for you or anyone else...
If I decide not to do a termal break, then there is no need to add gyp to the back side of the furred wall, facing the (e) concrete block wall, right? or would I need to include it to hold in the bat insulation?
If I do decide to use a thermal break, 1" thick rigid insulation flush to the(e) wall would be sufficent, correct?
Let me know your thoughts....thanks for your time.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntch3 View Post
Thanks for the info Andy....
Yes youre right about the door swing...I had another question for you or anyone else...
If I decide not to do a termal break, then there is no need to add gyp to the back side of the furred wall, facing the (e) concrete block wall, right? or would I need to include it to hold in the bat insulation?
If I do decide to use a thermal break, 1" thick rigid insulation flush to the(e) wall would be sufficent, correct?
Let me know your thoughts....thanks for your time.
why in the world would you drywall the back of the studs.. a thermal break is made with insulation

Advertisement

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds