New Block Construction Question(s) - Construction - Contractor Talk

New Block Construction Question(s)

Old 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Windows Doors Siding Hurricane Shutters
Rewards Points: 734

New Block Construction Question(s)

I'm not sure were to exactly put this, but the construction thread seemed reasonable.

Ok, so 13 years installing windows and I've never actually installed windows in a new construction Block building. Many installs in existing block, replacing windows, never new.

So a couple of questions:

Does block construction get a water proof barrier (a wrap like wood construction) before stucco goes up? I am assuming they are using synthetic stucco since that is the most common around here.

I've seen a few details for flashing the sill, but not the sides or headers. The windows we use call for silicone along the outside flange as they are mounted (these are vinyl flanged windows, not finned windows going over 2x6's). I don't know if it is normal to wrap the 2x's with tape before the window goes in?

Or if there needs to be a top flashing detail normally.

Yes, I have asked the local inspectors, but its like pulling teeth and I am waiting on a reply. Just trying to see what is common for people.

Adding a picture, except that we will be using 2x material

Thanks

http://www.gulfbreezewindows.com

Last edited by TLHWindows; 05-14-2013 at 09:19 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
Florida GC

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: New Block Construction Question(s)

The inspectors down here are anal about getting some silicone underneath the bucks and on the exterior-facing gaps between the bucks and the masonry and that's about it. I haven't seen anyone do flashing for a new construction masonry installation like what you pictured. The justification is that the bucks are PT and if the stucco is applied and sealed properly, you should be fine. If you do any flashing at all it should be for the sill.

Here's an article I read at Building Science about moisture issues in Florida; There's a section in it about rainwater intrusion from sills on impact window installs that might give you some extra insight on the best way to flash the sill for your particular install.

article: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...chterm=florida

Check the sections around Figures 3a and 3b

Advertisement

NeilRoss (05-23-2013)
Old 01-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Re: New Block Construction Question(s)

Not very familiar with block construction and window/door installation. However, in West and South Florida, I have seen the perimeter of the rough opening flashed with a white compound approximately 4" from the opening. Any insight into this?