My After Work Project. Vinyl Siding Spec House To Victorian Stick Eastlake - Construction - Contractor Talk

My After Work Project. Vinyl Siding Spec House To Victorian Stick Eastlake

Old 09-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
Baby Sitter for Grown Men

Trade: Project Superintendent
Rewards Points: 245

My After Work Project. Vinyl Siding Spec House To Victorian Stick Eastlake

There does not seem to be much interest in the blogs, so I was thinking of creating a thread to journal the 7 month +/- project.

This is a personal project, that I am doing on my own time and not related much to my work.
My new big project;

Changing my house from a run of the mill vinyl siding spec house to a Victorian style home.

At the same time I am adding an extra 2" of exterior Styrofoam insulation, upgrading windows, for better energy efficiency.
The nice thing about working on these big projects, is that I got to run my ideas by a few envelope consultants, and got some good direction.

I've always liked Victorian houses. That's always been in my mind. First I wanted to do a period correct "look" for my house that would reflect the heritage of the homes that were once in this area of our city.
That would have been more Arts and Crafts style and not my first choice.

A few months ago I found a home design that I liked, and kind of jumped in feet first making wood trim and installing it over the new rain screen.

Fortunately I decided I would save the best for last and began my work on the storage shed, back of the house and least visible areas first.

The nice thing about starting at a less important area, is I can hone my design skills, and work out the kinks before I get to the front of the house.

Project
20+ year old house
gutting the exterior vinyl siding
exterior insulation
exterior vapour barrier
rain screen system
exterior cladding hardie/wood trim

There are a couple factors against me in recreating a Victorian house. One is that the existing house is not as tall and the roof is not pitched as high.
The other is that the scale of the house is not quite the same as pre-1900 home.

With the abundance of wood trim, longevity is a concern. I wanted to make a lot of my brackets, knee braces and trim out of ACQ pressure treated.

This is kind of challenging for the more complex shapes, but not impossible. One of the other considerations is that I am doing all the work myself. I don't really have time to do a lot of complex wood work right now in the summer and early fall. I would also have to set up and take down all my woodworking equipment each night so I can let my wife park her car.

That was just going to be too onerous.

So I reneged and do have a number of poly brackets. It saves time and they will weather well in our climate.

After doing some work on the soffit last night, I sat down on the computer and decided to do a bit more research on the style of Victorian design, that I am modeling my work after.

The design style I am trying to reproduce is "Stick Eastlake" Victorian.

While researching this, it seems that the "stick" style does emphasize the frame of the house with strong vertical and horizontal lines. I think that's why I like it.
Eastlake was a furniture manufacturer, so they styles blended to add a lot of 3 dimensional ornamentation. A lot of brackets, gingerbread for example.

I am doing pretty much all the fabrication and cutting inside my garage

And one of the things related to the Eastlake style; was that a lot of the homes were done in a "kit" format. Just like a big piece of furniture.

That will be a bit of fun, given roof slopes and everything. Also a fun challenge will be the front porch and all that trim. Saving that for last.
Also a good project for winter time, when it gets cold outside.

I have the first series of brackets up now and things are shaping up nicely. I know most of the guys here are new construction guys, but if there is interest, I'll post up some pics of what is going to be a long project.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #2

Re: My After Work Project. Vinyl Siding Spec House To Victorian Stick Eastlake

A few pics of what the rain screen system looks like, over the foil backed insulation.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #3

Hardie came today. Well it almost didn't come. When I was walking the dog, I saw a truck from the same lumber yard unloading at a construction site up the street. I wondered if he was coming to my house next.

I looked at his load and saw no hardie on the truck. I was miffed but something made me go look.

Yes he was unloading my hardie on someone else's site. They had the delivery address wrong! Well the salesman did.

So I got the hardie, and got to work. Nice to see the siding on the wall. There is still a few days worth of wood trim to go on the back but it's shaping up.

Before

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pm_sup For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-14-2014), Jaws (09-14-2014), Robie (09-15-2014), Tom Struble (09-14-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Ah, pictures! About time too!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

A few more pics.

My wife thought it was a good idea to not leave the hardie out in the lane last night, so we carried a bunch of it inside and stacked it (in our small yard)

My back hurts like hell this morning. She does not walk at the same pace as me so when we were carrying the stacks of hardie it felt like it was jarring my back. LOL. What can I say though she was pretty good at helping and could manage the back end of 5-6 pieces without complaining.

Turns out also the lumber yard sent the whole lift of hardie for the whole house, instead of 1/2 the order as I requested.

The insulation is 2" thick foilback. The rain screen is 3/4" PT strapping fastened with 5" x #10 screws (thousands of them.)

After mounting the insulation around the master bedroom I really noticed a substantial difference in the hot summer days. The sun just bakes on the back of the house and the foil did it's job cutting the radiant head, I'd say about 30%.

I'd sure a lot of guys here are well versed on rain screens, but I thought I would share the GFIC outlet detail that I did for the deck plug. It' is surface mounted. I did not want to notch the insulation.

Piece of acq threated with a router detail

Rebate for the siding

Predrilled and primed

Mounted with the first version of the head flashing. I actually had to do another 2 breaks in the flashing to go over the first layer of siding neatly. Hopefully the hole is big enough for the electrical connector. My kid the electrician will tell me, I'm sure, when he wires it up.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

looks awesome!

not to step on your thread but i been looking at this

http://www.insofast.com/ex-panels/
pm_sup (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
looks awesome!

not to step on your thread but i been looking at this

http://www.insofast.com/ex-panels/
That looks like a pretty cool product Tom.
The Following User Says Thank You to pm_sup For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 11:16 PM   #8

It was a pretty productive Sunday.
Had to fix my wife's caulking job. Grinding off NP1 is interesting. Caulking is not on her next to do list (haha.)
Finished off a little more flashing on the rain-screen, 1st coat of paint on some difficult areas, and my wife helped paint some of the easier areas. She's actually doing good. I ask her to mask everything, but otherwise it's a big help.

Fried my hardie blade making some starter strip, so rather than go buy another one, I used the cut and snap method on the section of siding that I worked on this afternoon. It went well.

I should be able to make good progress this coming week, even after work days.

I especially like doing the wood details, so am looking forward to completing many of the window sill trims, details and brackets.
Tom Struble (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #9

So in my waking dreams (lol), I have planned out a few things in my mind, for the more visible (laneway side and front) areas of the house.

I have a couple pitched gables on the front of the house. I knocked off the gable peak (same as the back) but I think I am going to reinstate the full gables. I also want to try and line them up better in a vertical line.

What this allows me to do, is center the soon to be replaced window on the front, above the entry and align it with the gable over the entry of the house.

Three reasons, I want to try and better emulate the symmetry of the Stick Eastlake style, and visually it will look better to my eyes. Lastly and more importantly, is I want to make my own fairly detailed bargeboard for both of these gables.

In saying that, I also have to plan it well so the woodwork all ties together theme-wise as I consider the detail on the front porch.

Front porch, I think I am going to have to redo my posts. I have some PT 6x6 turned posts presently. These are a little too spindly to be part of an Eastlake themed home. Usually the posts are more heavy compared to the Queen Anne style.

I thought a little more about doing a box bay window, on the side of the house. It would be a little difficult to increase the soffit depth, so in order to tie it in with the rest of the soffit brackets, I think somehow I will need to custom make a few brackets to visually match the existing brackets, but with much less depth.

I have to do something on this side of the house because it is quite long and plain.

Lastly, I am going to insulate and enclose the jumbo block chimney on the lower levels. The initial plan is to side it with hardie (although not for certain.) What is for certain, after that is done, I am going to reflash the top bricks. When I do that I am going to redo the chimney flu.

I hate the current top of the chimney. I am guessing summer of next year probably, but I have a few ideas in mind.

Maybe a scaled down version of something like this;

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-34YOy448Tw...ng+chimney.jpg

or maybe something with a precast double flu, similar to this 4 stack;
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23...9a42304402.jpg

I've never laid mortar and brick in my life, but I am pretty fussy and don't think I could pay someone to do what I want.

The inside is a vented gas fireplace, so it would be easy to get a sheet metal guy to extend the vent if required.

What do you guys think of the two fireplace flu styles?

On a side note, on Friday I replicated a faux copper down pipe and elbows. Maybe later this week I am going to put it on and see what it looks like. It's either a choice between a faux copper look or else paint the round downpipe black, or the same colour as the siding.

Cheers
Tom Struble (09-22-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #10

More work on the slightly more challenging upper section. It's going fairly well. The plan is to continue with the hardie and then I'll go back and detail the wood trim around the windows etc.

The sun is going down quicker each night, so the sooner I can get the bulk of the work done, the better.

I'm pretty happy with the econo-roofing nailer. It's setting the nail heads nice and flush, as long as I can get the foot of the nailer tight and at 90 degrees to the hardie face.

Tom Struble (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #11

It was a pretty productive few days.
On the sides of each window, at the sill, there is a bracket underneath and for lack of a better term a Plinth block on the top.

I cut a bunch of these on Friday. Installed them Saturday. Did not like the way they looked, so took them back off again.
Spent about 3 hours with the router, created a step and beaded each one, as well as finishing with a bit of moulding.
Looks better now, just have to repaint everything.

Also installed the window aprons and apron trim, capped the hardie and finished off the cap with a small crown moulding, on the back of the house.

The hardie cap that I made worked great. Basically created a 1/2" x 1 5/8" dado in a lot of 2x material to finish off the top of the hardie planks. Back primed and painted everything.

I have to do a Plinth block set on the back door and some detail trim and the back is pretty much complete as far as trim.

I have to re locate a couple of soffit lights and finish the soffit off and I am complete at the back.

More pics soon.
Tom Struble (09-22-2014)
Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 PM   #12

First day of fall, the rain arrived (yesterday) in a deluge.

So I knew the previously removed downpipes were in instant need of reinstallation.

And then in keeping with trying to keep the home "greener" I decided to look around for a rain barrel. I found one at a local garden centre for 50% off. I think I will be installing it on our back deck. It has a built in planter box at the top as well, and my wife can use it to water all her plants at the rear of the house.

Anyway back to the downpipes. As stated earlier I wanted to try for a copper look. I think they turned out pretty good. After doing the copper finish, I varied the "look" by adding some highlights and then clear coated everything for a metal-like shine. I used a little aluminum colour paint to make a faux soldering appearance.

My wife is not keen on the idea, but if I decide to, I can always paint them to match the siding in the future.

On other fronts, I got a lot done. Trimmed out the top of the hardie (the gap in the pics above) and added a small crown moulding.

I slipped on an aluminum saw horse on the weekend, while installing the hardie and trapped my shin between rungs. I either bruised it badly or mad a shin splint. It's swelling like crazy during the day, and hurts quite a bit. I should be icing it and taking it easier, but I'm kinda stubborn and have a lot to do LOL.

Cheers
Tom Struble (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #13

Things have been progressing okay. The summer's over and it's been raining on and off, so tougher to get outside after a long day at work. Maybe if I had more of an office job it would be easier, but our present work site is 1/3 of 20 acres. The building we are completing is 6 stories with an elevator that is behind schedule. So yeah a lot of walking LOL.

I still look forward to working on this home project, especially now that it visually is coming together, bit by bit.

I hope to have most of the hardie done and be 80% on the detail work for the 1st half of the house. It's definitely weather dependent though.

A few pics of the closer strip detail I did for the top of the hardie.

The rebate is about 1.5" x 1/2" since I am closing one layer of hardie, I don't need the full 3/4" depth rebate I had on the side trims.

Everything gets back primed and the end cuts get primed as well. I thought the raw wood would show up better, so did not prime the pieces I photographed.

Although it's hard to see in the photo, the deck fascia has about a 2" gap from the rain screen, so the closer strip tucks up and under the fascia, but does not contact it. That gives me a good drip separation. I may have to tuck a little bug screen in the gap later.

in the soffited areas, the closer strip mates up flush with the 2x trim and then is closed off with a small crown moulding.

After everything is done, I hope to get a couple decent paint days.
Tom Struble (09-27-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

Most of what I am doing now, consists of finishing up some details and loose ends on the sections that I am working on now. I moved some soffit lights, that I was not happy with.

The soffits are mostly done now. I have one more light and one more security camera to wire in, under the soffits.

With winter approaching I have broken the final window order into a smaller part. A couple windows were just ordered including a front room. I concocted a fairly interesting window shape. BUT I also made more work for myself.
I am definitely going to have to re-pitch the dormers on the front of the house.
For the sake of the window design I am also going to need to vault the ceiling of the front bedroom, where the windows are to be installed.

Yes I created easily 3 weeks work for myself there -doh-
It should look really nice from the inside.

The outside is a different story. I think the framing will be about 1.5 weeks (evenings and weekends) for the windows, and reframing re-pitching the dormers. Inside vault about 1 week, but I can save that for the cooler winter nights.

I have some special window trim in mind, so will budget about 1 week for that, then some custom gingerbread ornamentation, which I will make myself. Maybe 1 to 2 weeks for that.

It's kind of a feature area of the house, so definitely will be worth doing..

I am my own worst enemy at making a small project into this massive job.

On the plus side, the new insulation has made the house much more moderated and comfortable, in the installed areas. I can't wait to see the difference when I have the whole house done.

Cheers
CarpenterSFO (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #15

One thing that cropped up yesterday. My wife wanted illuminated house numbers. She's kind of got a thing for stuff that lights up.

So I browse around the home centres and internet.
The stuff that I saw mostly looks pretty cheesy. I am not putting a flashing LED light on the front of a house that is supposed to look Victorian.
That would look stupid.

A few years ago, I took a stained glass course. I am actually pretty good at making stained glass. Plus I like doing it.

So I think what I am going to do, is make something along the lines, of the photo below;
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/23...e9257c5ea6.jpg

only I will make a frame and add some subtle back lighting.

I think I could wire it to a photo cell, so it could automatically light up in the evening.

That would probably look more like it belongs on the house, and keep my wife happy at the same time. Definitely no flashing LED's
Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #16

Well it's the weekend, so that means more work on the house.

I jumped a couple steps ahead on the first post, so I thought that I would document a little of the demo and prep work before the tyvec, insulation and rain screen is applied.

Front door area with the vinyl siding and brick mould removed.

Showing the tyvek up in the skirt roof. 2" styro will go on top of this.
Most of the cables you see are coax and Cat5 that I ran everywhere when I did the skirt roof

Vinyl siding coming off

Tarpaper coming off

This was nothing compared to the storage shed at the back, and the sundeck which had multiple areas of rotten wood that I had to replace. Some complete walls and joist areas.
I found a few areas of concern though. This was a little loose and I wanted to see what was underneath.

This looked like it had some moisture on the 1x12, so I was going to cut it out.

After I cut it out,It turned out there was nothing wrong behind. Maybe just splash from washing cars and poorly installed vinyl siding. This will get a small piece of 1x6 ACQ, instead of the 1 x 12.

This also needed further investigation.

This area was okay, with no issues other than a fairly large void. I did a little chipping and then filled in the void with some fast setting concrete, along with a bunch of bonding agent.

The water staining, I think, was from the garden hose bib. No issues behind, other than a poorly formed section of concrete. Again a little quick setting concrete and bonding agent.

Created a 1x2 step in the concrete as well. I'll finish off the boards with a few pieces of ACQ treated, just for additional protection.
Tom Struble (10-05-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

The "nothing goes as planned" scenario seems to be continuing.
The prep work seems to take a lot longer than planned, but I might as well be doing it correctly, rather than take short cuts. I'd only have myself to blame, if I did.

The little concrete foundation fix ups turned out good when I stripped them this morning. I could have left them as is, but it was better to fix them up.

Looks much better with the ACQ 1x material finishing off the sheeting

Other one turned out better as well.

The wonderful framer, who framed this house seems to have forgotten to nail the resawn 1x12 boards consistently. Another hiccup, but I decided to re-nail everything properly. (I stripped off all the old siding nails as well)

Having nailed everything. Stapled in the home wrap. Used ripped ACQ to make frame extensions for the glass block windows.

Insulation installed now. I fitted the joints pretty tightly. There are a few envelope details that need to be done prior to adding the rain screen strapping.

I have a couple more areas to complete in the same fashion. Once done, I'll take a couple photos of the envelope details, as it does not really show in the earlier posts.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #18

Not too much to photograph that I have not already posted.
I did get a lot done this week.

This pic shows the rain screen corner. I originally did these with foil tape, but found it was too brittle. The corners are more vulnerable to movement, so I prime them and peel and stick. The windows, frames etc, get the same treatment.

I also found the foil tape did not always stick well enough when tying the insulation together. Peel and stick primer makes the tape stick permanently.

I have done quite a bit of research on Eastlake Style, in trying to be correct with my theme, including his furniture designs. I think I am close to deciding the theme variations for the front of the house. Usually the trim was a little more elaborate.

Probably have some more photos next week, depending on weather.

Holiday weekend here, so will be taking it a bit easier.
Tom Struble (10-12-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #19

It's been a week of not getting too much done and a lot of planning and thinking.

I wanted to carefully plan how I was going to detail the front trim, to keep within the Eastlake theme, and also trim that would look good to me.

I was thinking of doing a fluted style trim, but could not really envision it looking good.

I did have some extra exterior grade trim, so I thought I'd give that a shot. Worst case, if I did not like it, I could take it all off again.

The first pic, is just how I did a small trim part to work with the hardie, and to mount my light fixture on.

The rest of the photos are just of the trim progress. I am fairly satisfied, with how it looks. I do envision that in the future, I could alter the colour scheme to suit more of a Victorian paint scheme. Ie 3-4 colours with a highlight colour.

For now, this will be okay.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #20

It's been a while. Some of the exterior renovation stopped for the winter weather and lack of daylight after work.

I've worked my way to the toughest part of the exterior, which is the front of the house. In this post, I am working on the right half of the front,
This part of the work, included changing the gables, then countless hundreds of hours working on the details. Everything in this portion was hand made by me, including the corbels, gingerbread and multitude of trims. Every cedar shingle was hand cut, my design. This portion of the front is around 95%. In the diamond shape opening, I will be making a stained glass window (myself) probably a fall/winter project.

I took some liberties with the Stick Eastlake theme and dressed things up on the gables. I was going to add a finial but decided I had enough work on my hands.

Ok that's it, for now, on to some "easier" parts of the exterior.

Front before

Demo

Gingerbread and fascia build up close

Peak lower roof

Scaffold during

Finish street view

Front angle

Front window angle

I'll post again, when I have something interesting to add.
If you want to know anything just ask.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pm_sup For This Useful Post:
superseal (06-05-2016), Tom Struble (06-04-2016)