Music Room In A Garage - Construction - Contractor Talk

Music Room In A Garage

Old 08-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Trade: RENOVATIONS
Rewards Points: 120

Music Room In A Garage

I was asked to quote on a sound proof room in a garage( basically a complete room inside the garage) today and was wondering if anyone has any views on how to insulate the garage floor and what to use on the walls. BTW I am up in canada, so pretty cold winters and he would like some kind off electric heat to heat it.
I was wondering on 2"rigid foam and insulated dri core on top for the floor. For the walls i'm thinking double 5/8" drywall using resilient channel with roxul for the insulation.I would appreciate any thoughts on this as it is the first time I have been asked to do this. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,134

Re: Music Room In A Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeforeChristoff View Post
I was asked to quote on a sound proof room in a garage( basically a complete room inside the garage) today and was wondering if anyone has any views on how to insulate the garage floor and what to use on the walls. BTW I am up in canada, so pretty cold winters and he would like some kind off electric heat to heat it.
I was wondering on 2"rigid foam and insulated dri core on top for the floor. For the walls i'm thinking double 5/8" drywall using resilient channel with roxul for the insulation.I would appreciate any thoughts on this as it is the first time I have been asked to do this. Thanks
Make sure you discuss with them what their expectations are of a sound proof room.

Look into things like Quiet Rock, green glue, double thick walls.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rblakes1 For This Useful Post:
BeforeChristoff (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:29 AM   #3

Trade: RENOVATIONS
Rewards Points: 120

Wow that green glue is very expensive as well as other materials totaled so as you stated I will have to ask how important his expectations are the total price for this project will be crazy high Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,106

Sound proof doesn't exist, sound reduction does, get a budget first.
overanalyze (08-16-2018), rblakes1 (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,134

The practice rooms for band in my high school also had surface applied sound reduction, basically looked like egg crates on the wall. That might be something to look into, as well

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Fencer
Rewards Points: 46

You can use the same material as they use in sound studios. Something like this.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 876

We built a music studio in my boss's basement awhile back.
Like you say, we built a room within a room.

We raised the floor about 12". Rubber mats were placed on the concrete. Floor built on sleepers on the mats. Filled it all up with fiberglass insulation. Glued and screwed 3/4 T&G plywood. Covered with padding and carpet once complete.

Walls were 2x8? (can't recall) Resilient channel mounted on studs. Thin pieces of rubber were placed between the channel and the stud. No direct metal to wood contact. The channel we used had a rubber strip glued to the face. No direct metal to drywall contact.

5/8" drywall screwed to channel. We installed a 2nd layer over the first. We installed 2"x2" self adhesive rubber pads on the first layer of drywall before adding the 2nd layer. These were placed everywhere we installed a screw. We had to lay it all out on both layers. Walls were plastered, painted, and then acoustic mats applied.

Double doors for entrance into the studio. Both weather stripped. Both with acoustic mats facing the interior.

Ceiling was the same as walls. He had a HIGH bay garage. We stacked bats upon bats of fiberglass above the ceiling.

Built a control room within the studio. It was treated with the same walls/ceiling. All the mixing equipment located in here. Power from the main house came into the control room first, then out into the studio. PVC conduits sealed @ all ends.

All in all it worked pretty good. You could stand in his living room while someone was jamming below. If you weren't aware of it, it was hard to notice. Just a faint sound. You'd feel it more than anything. A little vibration.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike-B For This Useful Post:
Martin K (12-22-2018)