Moving Building Several Feet - Construction - Contractor Talk

Moving Building Several Feet

Old 12-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter

Moving Building Several Feet

Hi, I've browsed here a bit in the past, this is my first post.
I'm a carpenter. I may look dumb in what follows but usually I know what I'm doing... Usually. Sometimes.
I found a house I can afford (a rare thing), needs work and I'm willing to do it. The best thing about it, though, is a nice big pole barn where I could set up a shop.
After living in an apartment for 4 years that will be like heaven.
The problem, however, is that the pole barn encroaches on the neighbor's (farmland) property by several feet.
Long story short, I can't get the property line adjusted now, and there's the chance he'll make trouble about it later if I buy it because I think he wants that property too and might get bitter.

So bottom line: I'm wondering what it would entail to move a pole barn 10 feet or less. I looked it up and it seems doable. I will have to go back out to get measurements and details (I plan to take another look in a day or so). The main thing I'm curious about is that it was on a concrete slab. If I move it, it will still be mostly on the current slab; will that be a problem? Could I pour a second slab next to that or would it be an issue? Maybe find a way to connect the two slabs with rebar? Set one half on the slab and on the other set new posts in the ground next to the old posts?

What do you think and also what do you think it might cost if I had someone else do it?

I found information about moving buildings but not for moving them just several feet.

Thank you in advance.

(In the pic from outside you can see the post marking the property line half way between the tree and the building, it's maybe even 1 or 2 feet over plus probably several feet for zoning)
Attached Thumbnails
Moving building several feet-isyj98fj0sgqce1000000000_1545969611520.jpg   Moving building several feet-isi75ke6sb0wce1000000000_1545969620008.jpg   Moving building several feet-isqd7wwcwj8tce1000000000_1545969627416.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,292

Re: Moving Building Several Feet

those posts go several feet in to the ground.

you would have to brace the bejeezus out of it on the inside, then install some sort of beam, on the long axis to the posts to have a surface to jack it up and crib it to roll. you will also be dealing with a very top heavy structure.

new poles will have to be set, depth, height & attachment determined by an engineer, to sister the old poles to. very precise placement will be needed.

yes you can add on to the slab.

doubtful you would be able to buy the place with a property line in contention.

has it been there long enough, without anyone contesting it, to be grandfathered in?

Advertisement

Bull Trout (12-28-2018), donerightwyo (12-27-2018), Fixed (12-28-2018), TheConstruct (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 320

Buy the property, whatís the neighbor gonna do? Worst case, some day down the road you have to try to move it.

IMO, it would take a pro to move that without damage.

Take it apart and put it back together.
A&E Exteriors (01-02-2019), griz (12-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,202

I think tearing it apart would be the best too. Probably cheaper way too in the long run.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
griz (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

Thanks for that quick response.
I don't know about it being grandfathered in, I don't think so. It's a Fannie Mae property and apparently the neighbor won't work with them or anyone to adjust the property line because he wants it too. I'm thinking worst case scenario he turns out to be an a-hole down the road even after it's sold and I have to move it. I'm strongly tempted to take the risk, just preparing.

That's what I was thinking, brace it past the point of redundancy, cut off the posts, lift it, move it by some of various means, have new posts set and I'd probably overdo it on sistering them together.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: custom builder
Rewards Points: 320

I could be wrong but I think you misinterpreted grizís post. Moving it is a terrible idea.
griz (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 11:37 PM   #7

If you guys think I'd be better off tearing it down and rebuilding I'd be down for that too. Just need to mentally prepare and make sure I have it in mind for my offer on the property. Just seems like a shame if that had to happen to move it a few feet.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #8
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
I think tearing it apart would be the best too. Probably cheaper way too in the long run.
while it is a solution....

for the time, labor & equipment spent on tear down to rebuild...

demo what is easy & quick & rebuild the dam thing right where you want it.

still not sure how you will be able to complete a sale with a property line in contention.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:32 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,639

Buy it as is if you can, take that downspout down, deal with moving the building when you have to.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:49 AM   #10

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 914

Buy it as is.
Make good deal with seller because it's gonna be a pain in your ars with the neighbor.
Then sell the building and 5 feet around it plus some area for a access to the overhead door to the neighbor who is going to be bitter.
Take savings from purchase and money from sale of building/land and build yourself a new building. Exactly what you want. Not retro-fitting yourself into someone else's dream.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,060

which way does it have to be moved? Can you simply take one end off and add it to the other end?
If concrete slab is an option, cut the posts at the bottom of siding, move entire building onto a slab with proper post bases bolted in, easy peasy.

Edit: I see it has to go sideways, should be easy enough as described above. Who put the property stake there? Maybe have it surveyed?
The Following User Says Thank You to dave_dj1 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (01-02-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 218

drill new holes precisely where you want building. pour new footings for poles at proper elevation. brace the dog sheet out of building

get a mini ex and dig down alongside poles on outside of building to loosen them.

jack up so poles so they're out of ground.

get long flatbed,semi tractor and back in, lower down on trailer and move to new position.

nothing to this silly game, seen it done and been part of project many times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Ed Hartmann (12-29-2018), S A CabinetGuy (03-17-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,249

The Cheapest solution is to SAW off the over built fraction, AFTER building a legal wall to support the cross trusses. 1 or two feet.

Second, cross brace and X brace all bays, Pour missing slab with pocket for "new" columns, Jack over with hydraulic jacks after cutting all columns at SOG elevations, install new posts about 8' long , 4 feet in ground, carriage bolt to "old" columns, jack hammer illegal old footings...

I'd think unless the Zoning board commonly interferes with "grandfathered" violations, it aint that bid of deal....

Why didn't the builders and zoning authorities insurance cover this obvious error???? Do some research, it might still be un screwable on THEIR dimes.

Why borrow the 5-10 K$the space is worth in the mortgage?

Pay for a Rod wide(16.5') strip that will add considerable value to the shed(if you can circumnavigate it)

If the buildings been there for 7 years + here in my State it is adverse possession, baring it not part of an ongoing criminal conspiracy....

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 12-29-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,188

if you're going to move it anyway, why not build some shear walls on the inside, pour a new slab WITH FOOTINGS, then add temp bracing, beams, etc., cut the posts, and slide it over.

Add some retrofit anchors and HD's.

Saw cut the old slab where it intrudes on the neighbors property, and tell him to go get &%#ED.

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
Rio (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 05:27 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,940

Adverse possession here is 20 years exclusive and notorious use. The court case to prevail runs $20k+ if they want to fight it.

I'd go with Day's plan if I had to move it.

Forget about someone else paying to correct any defect, it isn't happening.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #16

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 214

I can see moving it to new concrete with brackets instead of buried posts. I don't like the idea of moving it partially on the existing concrete.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
Pro

got to looking at this again.

see there's only 12 foot sidewalls on that building. were it me moving it for myself, i'd figure out a way when i sat it down, to add 4' to bottom.

the day will come you're going to want to park a trailer, motorhome, etc. in there and need 14' min. doors and sidewalls. plus along sidewalls you have enough height to put in a mezzanine to give you storage on ground level, and one level up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (12-30-2018), griz (12-30-2018), Rio (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #18
Pro

never understood why anybody would put up anything short of a 16' sidewall.

same floor and roof square footage, just a little more in tin and insulation
Old 12-31-2018, 07:37 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,464

Check with your zoning dept. and find out what the setback requirements are for that area.
Around here the bigger the lot the farther the setback needed.
You can build real close to the line if you are in a housing development, but if you are on few acres and up you have to be back 25' minimum.
Rio (12-31-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,930

i am for cutting post off ,bracing walls ,attaching a beam as a runner to the bottom of the post and dragging .I recall as a kid we drug buildings all the time .Much smaller buildings but principle is the same . I cannot see the issue .

also being a builder now and not a heavy equipment operator i would not want the shop taller ,harder to heat .

Advertisement