Lower A Floor Ideas - Construction - Contractor Talk

Lower A Floor Ideas

Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Lower A Floor Ideas

I was wanting some ideas from the pros on the preferred method to lower a new floor. I added an addition with an unfinished basement under it. From the existing house to the retaining wall for the basement is four feet and the outside wall of the addition from the existing house is 20 feet. This gives approximately 14.5' of basement width. The problem is on the main level. The new floor matches the existing floor, but in the first four feet of the new floor, there is approximately 3/8" of rise. The remaining 16 feet is level to the outside wall. The new floor has 3/4" advantech flooring and the joists are 2x12x16' and then 2x12x4' for the small span. I suspect the joists will shrink a 1/4", but if I need to lower the floor, what would you guys suggest on the best method to do so.
I was thinking maybe just trim the joist where they bearing on the double top plate. This would be the wall four feet from the existing house. They would only have to be trimmed about a 1/4" for 5.5" inches. They are bearing on a 2x6.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Lower A Floor Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elittleton73 View Post
I was wanting some ideas from the pros on the preferred method to lower a new floor. I added an addition with an unfinished basement under it. From the existing house to the retaining wall for the basement is four feet and the outside wall of the addition from the existing house is 20 feet. This gives approximately 14.5' of basement width. The problem is on the main level. The new floor matches the existing floor, but in the first four feet of the new floor, there is approximately 3/8" of rise. The remaining 16 feet is level to the outside wall. The new floor has 3/4" advantech flooring and the joists are 2x12x16' and then 2x12x4' for the small span. I suspect the joists will shrink a 1/4", but if I need to lower the floor, what would you guys suggest on the best method to do so.
I was thinking maybe just trim the joist where they bearing on the double top plate. This would be the wall four feet from the existing house. They would only have to be trimmed about a 1/4" for 5.5" inches. They are bearing on a 2x6.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a huge crown in some of those 2x12's? Without actually seeing the layout of the joists. It's all speculation.

3/8" of rise in four feet then level is weird. Did you shoot your elevations in correct? Builders levels and transits are you friend. Lasers depending on the model are typically crap. If it can be bought at Home Depot for 50 bucks throw it out.

Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Extraordinary Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,728

I need pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Here is a section of the addition.
Attached Thumbnails
Lower a Floor Ideas-pic-1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Tough to say, if you just trim the bottom of an end, it will help the slanted section but will negatively affect the level section.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

If that existing wall is staying Ardex that low area.Taper it where there are openings. I don't know why 20' joists weren't used or shooting hard elevations off the existing. But I guess hindsight is 20/20.
The Following User Says Thank You to JustaFramer For This Useful Post:
moorewarner (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
Fortune and glory, kid.

Trade: Remodeler/Restorer
Rewards Points: 1,022

So are you saying that the 16' is level and that the 4' section has a 3/8' rise from the existing floor to the 16' section? I.e. that the main addition is level but 3/8" higher than the pre-existing home floor level you were building off of?

Never mind I see on the diagram that is exactly what you are saying.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Fortune and glory, kid.

Trade: Remodeler/Restorer
Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons View Post
Tough to say, if you just trim the bottom of an end, it will help the slanted section but will negatively affect the level section.
There are so many variables here without more detail it's hard to say what the least effort fix is.

All things considered, and with few details to go on, what about shimming up the 4' section to level with the 16' section (I am thinking the shimming happens between the joists and the sub-floor/flooring or take up the flooring on the 4' section and level and reinstall) and just use a transition at the meeting of the addition to the house to deal with the 3/8" variation?

If you start mucking around with the joists on the 16' section you will be affecting everything built on top of it.

Advertisement