Looking For Suggestions To Prevent Sound Transfer Through TJIs - Construction - Contractor Talk

Looking For Suggestions To Prevent Sound Transfer Through TJIs

Old 06-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #1

Trade: Remodleing General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Looking For Suggestions To Prevent Sound Transfer Through TJIs

We're adding a second floor master suite onto a home for a client in Park City, UT. The owner has a home in VA where they used floor trusses for the joists and the sound transfer to the lower level is a problem. The owner would like to avoid the same problem with this home.

The UT home has 2x12s for floor joists on the existing second level that we are tying into, so I already have an issue with the difference between the floor heights. For that reason, I'd like to avoid products or material that would be installed on top of the sub-floor that increases the difference.

The floor joists called for in the plans are 11-7/8'' 210 TJI spaced 24'' OC, spanning 17'. Some of the finished floor is carpet and some it it is Hickory T&G.

I've looked around on line and have seen a rubber sheet type product that staples to the bottom of the joists before the drywall is applied.
My experience with sound attenuating batts is they might muffle the sound a little but don't prevent sound transfer thru the the joists.

So, has anyone got a sure fired way that they've used to handle this problem. We're yanking the existing trusses Monday and getting the deck on before the end of the day.

Thanks
Tom

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #2

Trade: Spray applied insulator
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Looking For Suggestions To Prevent Sound Transfer Through TJIs

Hi Tom,
The most important thing you can do to stop sound transfer from the joists through the drywall is decoupling. But, this is just one component.

The solution has to be looked at as a system rather than a single product.

resilient channel is one way to decouple the ceiling or you could use isolation hangers.

Ted White who runs the sound proofing company http://www.soundproofingcompany.com posts here from time to time, he knows more about this than I do.
Try contacting Ted.

Regards,
Steve

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
resilient channel is one way to decouple the ceiling or you could use isolation hangers.
This as well as a little insulation should do the trick. But remember to follow the correct method of installing rc-1. If you dont it will completely negate what your doing. Sound travels thru fasteners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: Residential and Commercial Renovations
Rewards Points: 75

Besides insulation, they make sound proof sheetrock. I used this in a restaurant I did for sound control between party room and the pizza part. It's two layers of 1/4" rock with thin sheet of steel in middle. Little of pain to work with but it does its job.