Leveling A Concrete Garage Slab - Construction - Contractor Talk

Leveling A Concrete Garage Slab

Old 08-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,372

Leveling A Concrete Garage Slab

We are involved with a project and part of what we're doing is going to require the existing garage slab to be made level. It is currently sloped .25:12 towards the big door. It has a stem wall so it's already formed on the perimeter.

We are thinking of using pumped concrete to about 2" and stopping it there and then using a self leveling underlayment of some sort from there, planning on using concrete glue for the top of the slab for that part.

If we go from 0" to 2" thick it will be about 15-17 cu. ft.. We're thinking of using something like SikaLevel, have used Sika products before with good results but wanted to see if anyone has another product that is better and to go over pros and cons of what the plan is.

It's in San Diego city so it's very temperate. The space will be conditioned but even if it wasn't there is no freeze/thaw cycle to be concerned with, the highs rarely get above 90 and never get to freezing, it's usually around 70 degrees.

Thanks for reviewing and comments!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

Re: Leveling A Concrete Garage Slab

Gyp crete/ fireproofing, contractor, add some Portland for a little more strength?

Al the wood multistory apartments use the G-Crete ask a fire floor/noise barrier, every other floor vertically, two inches + over the 3/4" OSD T & G....

Advertisement

Rio (08-12-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,956

HI Rio, forget the self-leveler, just go with pea gravel in the mix and really tamp it so a a thick layer of cream comes to the top.

They may want 6 mil. visqueen on the existing garage slab as there was probably no VB in the initial pour for the garage slab. It will dry slow but strong.

It will have to be about 1" thick minimum though.

Andy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (08-12-2019), Rio (08-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,118

Mud jack it?
Or use spray foam to jack it up on the low end.
The Following User Says Thank You to dave_dj1 For This Useful Post:
Rio (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Designer/Contractor

Hi Scipio, it's going to be 6 sack pea gravel so 3,000 psi, guess we could go less than 2" but I'm skeptical about long term stability at 1" and would like to take it down to about 1/4" or so for threshold purposes; did think about a vapor barrier and like the idea but I think that once it's getting down to the thin end it would be accentuating the cold joint, they'll just have to go with tile on the floor and area rugs.

Regarding mudjacking it's a monolithic slab on grade with a continuous footing so that's not an option.

Contractor wants to use a product called Levellite, never heard of it, need to check it out.............
Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 PM   #6
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 21,258

I've done this with great success. Did it like Andy said. We made the garage into a room and built them another garage. We used 6 mil as well. It came out great. However I think our thinnest area was 3" thick. I'd have no problem doing it again in a heartbeat. Remember it's not really structural it's just a fill so to speak.

We pushed around all kinds of ideas. Those in hindsight seemed to be Overthinking it. Imo

Mike.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #7
Designer/Contractor

Yeah, I like Andy's suggestions, good advice all the way around, especially the tamping till the cream rises and the vapor barrier; thinking now maybe 6 mil up to 2" and then nothing from there on, the half loaf is better than none theory.

I was reading up on the levelLite and it looks like it's good stuff, has a bunch of ASTM compliance statements on the cut sheets, I'm attaching them in case anyone wants to take a gander.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TDS-107.pdf (94.4 KB, 5 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (08-13-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #8

Trade: Electrician
Rewards Points: 32

Self leveling compound. It's pricey per bag but super easy to do yourself.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Designer/Contractor

Now we're thinking of taking the 6 sack(3,000 psi) pea gravel pumped concrete to as thin as we can and still have it adhere to the sloped slab below it. I'm not sure how thin it can go without having delamination issues. We're thinking of putting concrete glue after the 2" thickness and going to about 1". Is this going to come back and bite us on the butt is the question.

The other issue is for the vapor barrier. We found a product called Bone Dry, talked to their technical department and it sounds good. They don't have any independent lab testing on it which can be a problem in San Diego. The building department is very picky on products, ask for ICC or UL or similar reviews all the time. Here's the link to their site if anyone wants to take a gander at it. The techie said we should use the Bone Dry Original.

https://www.bonedryproducts.com/
Old 09-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #10
Pro

3000KPSI concrete will erode away with a stiff broom....

either top dress with Portland powder for broom proof surface, or just man up with > 4000PSI mix....

I'd have some sand mix + bonding agent ready to go as soon as the truck is gone,
to infill at the feathered edges, the pearock mix will be a nightmare anywhere the rock is bigger then the infill is deep.

No joy on Gypt- Crete subs?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #11
Designer/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
3000KPSI concrete will erode away with a stiff broom....

either top dress with Portland powder for broom proof surface, or just man up with > 4000PSI mix....

I'd have some sand mix + bonding agent ready to go as soon as the truck is gone,
to infill at the feathered edges, the pearock mix will be a nightmare anywhere the rock is bigger then the infill is deep.

No joy on Gypt- Crete subs?
Thanks for the input 4G, appreciate it. I do disagree about the 3,000 psi concrete being eroded with a stiff broom, unless it's diamond tipped, as the normal minimum psi for concrete slabs is 2,500 psi and they seem to hold up just fine. Actually we don't have an option to go with 2500 as the ready mix company only does 6 sack with pea gravel. It'll be plenty strong in that respect.

My only real concern is how much is a bare minimum for a concrete slab to go over an existing concrete slab. I'm thinking that with concrete glue to help it bond 1" out to work. Like Andy/Scipio had mentioned at the top of the thread, tamp the heck out of it to bring up the cream and to settle the rocks and one would think it would be okay. Having said that we've always done a minimum of 4" and I don't want to find out that at 1" it's going to have bonding issues or delaminate from the slab below. The pea gravel is about 3/8" so 1" should be plenty thick, shouldn't be a problem catching rock when troweling.

Regarding using gypcrete the project is on a budget and we're already getting extras on it due to the city, don't want to incur more if possible.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #12
Pro

Thought you were trying to pour a feathered edge of "0" inches at the high end of the old SOG...

The thicker the thin end the less call backs, I'd consider re-pouring slightly out of level to add an 1/2" at the high, unless it is a lab or something that requires true flatness.

Chopped fibers to increase the average size of concrete cover post cracking?
Rio (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #13
Eater of sins.

Most AHJs accept red guard.

I have used and it does work well for sure.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
Rio (09-12-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
Designer/Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post

I have used and it does work well for sure.

Andy.
Thanks so much!
Old 09-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #15
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post

As a bonding agent or vapor barrier (only)?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
Eater of sins.

I have only ever considered it as a VB.

Andy.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Designer/Contractor

I was doing some reading up on it and since it is used with thinset I don't see why it can't be applied on top of the existing slab and then have the leveling concrete placed on top of it. The cost of it does start to add up if it's applied at the rate of 50 s.f. per gallon with two coats so I'm thinking of going with 10mil plastic up to about 2" of thickness then transitioning to the redgard with the redgard going under the plastic for 6" with a continuous bead of urethane caulking between the plastic and the redgard, think that should work okay to keep the water out.

The bone dry looks pretty good but without any independent testing I'm leery about using it.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 PM   #18
Pro

Last minute "brain Wave": tapered, high density foam board cut by roofing foam jobbers? XPS type

E.g. use 4" thick foam cut at floor angle, do the 'low' end, use "scraps" at high end.

Gives you warmer/cooler floor?

~6-8.00$ / Cubic foot, = 161-216$ / yard...

Some studies show closed cell picks up less moisture over time =Better R value later... I'd use the stiffest product for less cracking. Or just install a VB under the foam.

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 09-13-2019 at 07:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
Rio (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,722

@ Forthgen: Good thought but tapered roofing insulation is typically closed cell PolyIso, and I don't think that it would be best practice under cementitious materials.

Edited to add that I was unaware of XPS tapered insulation, so that could be a viable solution.

Advertisement

Last edited by rustyjames; 09-13-2019 at 07:49 PM.