Ledger Over Siding Fix It Or Not - Construction - Contractor Talk

Ledger Over Siding Fix It Or Not

Old 06-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #1

Trade: Home improvement

Ledger Over Siding Fix It Or Not

I have been hanging around the site for a while lots of knowledgeable people on here Figured this was a good place to ask this question. I went to look at a deck job today. guy purchased the house 2 years ago. Deck is probably 10 years old not in terrible shape except for the fact that there is no footings, 6x6 posts are sitting on cinder blocks which are sinking. So guy wants me to make the deck safe new footings posts whatever the needs . but save the deck.
The problem is the ledger is installed on top of the vinyl siding with lag bolts. It’s tight to the house, n good shape Joist size is good joist hangers etc.
I really wanna just take it down and do it right but don’t think the guy will go for it.
What do u guys think of adding through bolts to the ledger and just let it go.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 618

Re: Ledger Over Siding Fix It Or Not

it nice that he wants to save the deck and make it safe,

But

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-04-2019)
Old 06-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,104

The rim joist/house may already be rotted out behind the siding. I wouldn't want my name on it just leaving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,436

I would pull it and do it right or walk away. This is where you need to school him on the problems of leaving it as is , and how spending the money now will save him money down the road.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucci View Post
I have been hanging around the site for a while lots of knowledgeable people on here Figured this was a good place to ask this question. I went to look at a deck job today. guy purchased the house 2 years ago. Deck is probably 10 years old not in terrible shape except for the fact that there is no footings, 6x6 posts are sitting on cinder blocks which are sinking. So guy wants me to make the deck safe new footings posts whatever the needs . but save the deck.
The problem is the ledger is installed on top of the vinyl siding with lag bolts. It’s tight to the house, n good shape Joist size is good joist hangers etc.
I really wanna just take it down and do it right but don’t think the guy will go for it.
What do u guys think of adding through bolts to the ledger and just let it go.
Put it in perspective... the last person to touch it is responsible for it because you, as the pro, are supposed to know better... it's your expertise and experience you're selling...

Your gut is telling you to take it down and do it right, and your deciding factor in doing it right is whether or not the guy will go for doing what you've determined is the right thing?

Then walk... happens to all of us at one time or another...