Leadership In Construction - Construction - Contractor Talk

Leadership In Construction

Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Project Management
Rewards Points: 10

Leadership In Construction

I just want to get out there tha you can't be a successful contractor or project manager withoug great leadership skills. There are three things that I think a PM must have, they are communication skills, integrity and a backbone! Never throw your team under the bus! I wanted to post this because I don't think they stress this topic enough in all of the Construction Science Management courses. We see a lot of interns come through our office and although they speak english, it is a completely different language to us.

Go to www.constructionmanagementtruth.com for the full blog!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,314

Re: Leadership In Construction

Not bad, I think organizational skills should be the first thing on the list, i.e. scheduling, planning, making sure your guys have the materials, tools, knowledge they need for the project. I'd also like to add that if someone does have bad personnel skills that it's not something you can teach, I'm afraid you just have to get rid of them, the sooner the better. I get mad sometimes when I say something and they totally disregard it and do something else to screw it up, but I don't get mad all the time. If someone does something wrong I realize it's my fault for over estimating their ability, or not explaining it right.

I'm not sure what the author means by "don't worry about the persons future". I am always thinking about the persons future if they are working for me, I would not assign someone the task of doing nothing but nailing on clips for two years, and putting them in a position where they don't learn anything. I always try and give people variety in their work, the more they learn the more valuable they are to me. The author probably meant something else when he said "don't worry about the future", just didn't explain it.

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Architectural Design
Rewards Points: 25

That is one great post. It makes you think how you manage your business and projects. Thanks for the share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpenter/drywall
Rewards Points: 295

Also i think to be a pm, arcitech,or enginner you should have had so many years in the field.Its easy to put stuff on paper but if it can be done is another thing.I work big commercial jobs and we will get a 20 something kid that took a few college classes and now thinks he is mr. joe construction.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: interior/exterior
Rewards Points: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottktmrider View Post
Also i think to be a pm, arcitech,or enginner you should have had so many years in the field.Its easy to put stuff on paper but if it can be done is another thing.I work big commercial jobs and we will get a 20 something kid that took a few college classes and now thinks he is mr. joe construction.
so true ,
or at least the architect needs to appreciatte that what works on paper , doesn`t necessarily work on site

as for good p.m.`ing
i`ve learned the guys behind you are just as important as the customer in front of you.
you have to treat your crew with respect.

you know you guys are right , its not easy to teach somone these skills
they start with your up-bringing
if mom , and dad brought you up right , you have it.
nothings worse than a guy trying to pull it off , and you know he`s just talking the talk.
the real person comes out when things don`t go as planned, and a problem arises

i still say the wrong thing now ,, and again after 30 years at this.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12,234

Ive met good PMs with no experience in the field other than as a super. A PM in a big outfit is so far removed from the nail banging, it doesnt matter if they dont know how to cut a stringer. To be good, they need to know how a project is supposed to flow, how to schedule and delegate properly. They need to have respect for the guys on the site though, which many dont.

I dont know how people learn how to run or design a project properly without hands on ojt, but I have seen it first hand, if only a few times.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: interior/exterior
Rewards Points: 402

yeah , your right
one minute you have to deal with the guys on the site
next you have to deal with an architect, and use different lingo
next the client walks in , and you have to change hats again

i`m not the most oprganized as a whole
so i have to take notes , and try to keep a daily log on what went down , and whats going to go down.

and when the sh*t hits the fan,and things go way off track you have to keep your cool , and let the client and your crew feel that you are the guy who can hold it all together , and make it work.

you see the real person when things don`t go as planned , and it gets intense.

its not for the meek.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Ditto what Spike said.

We have to wear a lot of different hats. I think one needs experience to be able to do this. It's not something you can learn in school.

Some are better at it than others. It's a personality thing.

I just do what needs to be done. Whether it's dealing with my guys, subs, the owner, achitects, building inspectors, etc. I focus on the thing that needs to get accomplished and not on the individuals involved.

Not sure if that's a great approach, but it get's 'er done.

To be candid, I usually do not have the time to coddle anyone. I just get to the point and get whatever is needed to proceed, or make the decisions so the work can proceed.

One job coming up the architect couldn't really figure out the roof. I asked him if he would like me to make the final calculations and decision on it. He said "sure". That's all I need to know.

Someone has to step up and make the decisions, quite often the HO can't decide, or doesn't know. It then falls on us as GC's to make the decisions that allow the job to continue.

As Spike said " it's not for the faint of heart ". That's for sure somedays.

Advertisement