Largest Slab Poured From 80lb Bags? - Construction - Contractor Talk

Largest Slab Poured From 80lb Bags?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks
Rewards Points: 500

Largest Slab Poured From 80lb Bags?

I have a project coming up with no access for a concrete truck. The slab will be 20' x 17' x 4", has anyone ever poured something this large out of 80lb bags? I estimate around 200 bags. I have done smaller 8' x 8' slabs without much difficulty. Any thoughts? Tips?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: Largest Slab Poured From 80lb Bags?

can you pump of shoot it?

or mix from scratch?

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

When I was about 23 or so, I helped a guy pour a basement that size with a scratch mix and an electric mixer. One end was setting long before we finished pouring the other..... That was 36 years ago and I have NEVER been tempted to try any thing like it again!
Get lots of help...good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

too much labor and the likelihood that you will lose the pour. I cant imagine a pour with no pump access. Hell I would even upen up a piece of roof and ceiling for hose access before i would ever consider a 200 bag pour.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 4,254

Get a line pump in there, I have even gone so far in the past to run it through the front door of the house, just make sure you put moving blankets done to protect the walls and floors.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Pump truck not that much cost wise, I think you could get a small out fit to do it for around $400. Is that an option or is this realy not reachable like an island or up a mountain Did a shop floor 10' x 12' with my dad and mom growing up by the end none of use were talking its a chore.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
Get a line pump in there, I have even gone so far in the past to run it through the front door of the house, just make sure you put moving blankets done to protect the walls and floors.
I've had one hose rupture in the middle of a pour. After seeing that once, I would N E V E R run a hose through a house. It placed wet rock 40' away and littered the first floor framing with a crapload of rock - what kind of damage would a blast like that do to the inside of a house from 10' away?

But I would definitely get a pump truck in there. They've got enough hose unless you're that far away from street access. Call a couple of local pump outfits - give them the particulars and they can give a quote if they're able to do it. You can base the quote against how many hours it would take you to do it by hand baggin'. I can't even begin to imagine the hard labor running 200 bags of concrete by hand and trying to keep it wet enough to work the whole surface to to a level, finished state.

Mac
Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #8
Curmudgeon

Last year my guys got a pumper that boomed over the house. It was fun to watch (I like it when I don't have to drag, clean hose)
Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

I would use a couple of bobcats with buckets, as a last resort, to transfer it from the truck at the street to the pour site before I would even consider that insanity.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler

I've given it some thought, this can be done, You will need 104 day laborers (easily found at the local home center in any of the sanctuary cities), 104 cement mixing pans, 104 mixing tools, 104 5 gallon buckets and a coach's whistle. The extra 4 on every thing is back up just in case of a problem. You line up the laborers outside, each with 2 bags of concrete, a mixing pan, a mixing tool and a 5 gallon bucket. You fill all the 5 gallon buckets with water, when that's done and everybody is in their places and ready to go you blow your whistle and they all begin mixing 2 bags of concrete each. When they are finished mixing they pour the concrete into the buckets, form a bucket brigade in both directions and move the concrete inside and return the empty buckets back to be filled and returned again. You then return all the buckets, mixing pans and mixing tools to the home center for a refund, give the laborers $5 each and a bag of peanuts as agreed upon, DONE.

Obviously I'm kidding, but I can't think of any good way other than pump it, chutes, wheel barrows or using the bobcats as already suggested.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Curmudgeon

Actually, I think if you grade it tight, it only comes out @ 170 bags.
Go for it!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
I've given it some thought, this can be done, You will need 104 day laborers (easily found at the local home center in any of the sanctuary cities), 104 cement mixing pans, 104 mixing tools, 104 5 gallon buckets and a coach's whistle. The extra 4 on every thing is back up just in case of a problem. You line up the laborers outside, each with 2 bags of concrete, a mixing pan, a mixing tool and a 5 gallon bucket. You fill all the 5 gallon buckets with water, when that's done and everybody is in their places and ready to go you blow your whistle and they all begin mixing 2 bags of concrete each. When they are finished mixing they pour the concrete into the buckets, form a bucket brigade in both directions and move the concrete inside and return the empty buckets back to be filled and returned again. You then return all the buckets, mixing pans and mixing tools to the home center for a refund, give the laborers $5 each and a bag of peanuts as agreed upon, DONE.
Not bad, that just may work

I guess I will go with a pump. I was quoted $1000 not including concrete or finishing (just to bring the pump truck out). I have never used a pump company before and this price seemed outrageous to me. This was by an independent pump truck owner, I didn't even bother calling the bigger companies, was this guy just trying to get rich off of me? He was referred to me as "good work at reasonable prices" by a friend.
BTW this slab is not unreachable, just heavily surrounded by trees and a fence, neither of which the HO wants taken down.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!
Rewards Points: 1,938

It's either pump it or dry pour it, and the dry pour will look like hammered dog crap.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:46 PM   #14
Curmudgeon

For $1000 could you hire a couple of extra guys and wheel it? Geeze even a couple new wheel barrows at $100 each...
Around here small pumps seem to be $250 -$400. Maybe this guy is set up to pump 10 stories? Can't believe all the pumps driving around here these days. Shop.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
... I was quoted $1000 not including concrete or finishing (just to bring the pump truck out). I have never used a pump company before and this price seemed outrageous to me. ...
How far is the jobsite from town?

What part of the country are you in?

How far is the pour site from the road?

What facilities do you have for the pump company to clean out their hoses?

These all affect price.

Most of my pump costs run around $200. That's pour site within 200 ft. of road, in town here in Oregon.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
I have a project coming up with no access for a concrete truck. The slab will be 20' x 17' x 4", has anyone ever poured something this large out of 80lb bags? I estimate around 200 bags. I have done smaller 8' x 8' slabs without much difficulty. Any thoughts? Tips?
Have you considered a pump truck or concrete buggys, a buggy rents for a 150 per day
Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor

I was doing 12' X 12' X 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" (60-66 bags) about every other month for a couple of years. No problem, I wouldn't hesitate to go bigger and have plans to with footers.

Tricks.

A couple of guys willing to WORK!!!

The above were always on existing slabs and I sealed then bonded them to prevent wicking away moisture. On bare ground I use Visqueen. Moisture content is also crucial to curing.

2 bags is all that you can mix in a wheelbarrow. Premeasure your water on the first batch and use 2 5gal. buckets. One is a 'control bucket', if you need to add more water to the mix add the same amount to the 'control' bucket. When you have it right, mark the level in the control bucket and it becomes the primary bucket. Fill it to the same line every time.

Use a couple of good 6" hoes with a guy working from each end of the wheelbarrow. Once you get the rhythm down, you should be cranking down about 2 bags in 2 mins. or less.

For 200 bags I'd bring in a second team and a helper to ferry bags, etc.

Albert Einstein
Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #18
Retired Contractor

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
For $1000 could you hire a couple of extra guys and wheel it? Geeze even a couple new wheel barrows at $100 each...
Around here small pumps seem to be $250 -$400. Maybe this guy is set up to pump 10 stories? Can't believe all the pumps driving around here these days. Shop.

Where is AROUND HERE? Because in New York, you are looking at $1,200 to $1,500 for a pump truck. and I believe many are hitting you with Fule Surcharges on top of that.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 1,533

I just paid $590 including mud for 2.5 yards pumped (line) into piers and a pad from about 150'. It took less than 1.5 hours from the start to the brooming of the pad. Well worth it in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Pro

I made a few calls today after seeing what some of you are paying for the pump truck and it turns out this guy jacked up his prices in hopes to get a quick hefty paycheck. He is apparently about to lose his truck and needs a bit of cash quick. My friend told me he knew he was in debt but didn't expect him to jack up prices to make ends meet. His normal charge would have been around $500 from what I hear.

Advertisement