Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

HELP! HELP! Joist Hangers

11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  reveivl 
#1 ·
I have a client who is selling there house. They had a "HOME INSPECTION"
and he noted a problem with the joist. The house is 30 years old. The buyers called an engineer and the engineer said they need about 25 joist hangers. This is in a crawl space, there is ok room to move. the floor joist are sitting on brick, and have been for 30 years. It seems sound to me, but the buyers want this done. My question is, how much would one charge? and how would this be done? There closing on the house May 31

#2 ·
allsolutions said:
and he noted a problem with the joist. The house is 30 years old. The buyers called an engineer and the engineer said they need about 25 joist hangers. This is in a crawl space, there is ok room to move. the floor joist are sitting on brick, and have been for 30 years. It seems sound to me, but the buyers want this done. My question is, how much would one charge? and how would this be done? There closing on the house May 31
$9.00 a hanger installed providing you can do it with ease.

#6 ·
LOL, WTF did I miss??? joists are sitting on the brick/block and the candy store home inspector says they need joist hangers??? what is that going to gain??

Heck, who cares, it's burned in homies brain and they're willing to pay ya, so I'd try to find out who this "home inspector" dude is and get to know him since it soulds like his ignorance could provide you with some gravey work LOL!!

Just wondering how your going to slide a joist hanger on a board that is resting on block considering the rim joist is probably offset a few inches too?? I'm thinking the only way your going to get a bracket in there is some sort of corner bracket, unless your jacking the joists and risk cracking things overhead there is no way you'll get a standard joist hanger under the joists to butt upto rim joist.

#7 ·
allsolutions said:

You should have had the Home Inspector install them while he was rooting around in the crawl space counting "un-hung" joists...haha and all that jibberish.

On a serious note, could you please keep us informed as to how you go about solving this prob? Seems like a real poser. Good Luck and have a great Memorial Day Weekend.

#8 ·
Do what the H.O. wants, but I'm beyond the point of crawling around in someones dirty, dank crawl space for $9.00 a joist hanger. By the time you figure cost of materials, time to go and get them, then take out all your overhead cost you'll be making min.wage.:w00t: Whats up with that? It's not an easy fix, but can be done. Several ways that I can come up with. Bottom of hanger is what 1/16 - 3/32"? You can definatly put a jack under each joist and get it to move that much without doing any harm above. Chisel some of old brick out to slide hanger on. Pack out box with 2x material so you can apply hanger. Seriously I don't think I would even consider doing it for less than $30- $40 price range per hanger ( thats at the 25 count ) Not to go and do 1.:laughing:

#9 ·
I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here.... namely... SPIDERS :eek: . Theres gonna be spiders down there. I have an unatural fear of spiders. In fact spiders scare the crap outta me. Im not ashamed to admit it. Spiders. Theres gonna be spiders in that crawl space. In fact theres probably a spider convention going on down there. You wouldn't get old RRD within 10 miles of that hell hole for 9 bucks a spider...errr.... hanger.....:no:

#10 ·
RRD,
Thats already factored into my price. I just didn't want to sound like a little girl about it:w00t: . I'd set off a bomb down there before hand and kill everything lurking down there:eek: :thumbup: Then do the job, or maybe I'd sub it out to Adam for 9 bucks.:thumbsup:

#12 ·
River Rat Dad said:
I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here.... namely... SPIDERS :eek: . Theres gonna be spiders down there. I have an unatural fear of spiders. In fact spiders scare the crap outta me. Im not ashamed to admit it. Spiders. Theres gonna be spiders in that crawl space. In fact theres probably a spider convention going on down there. You wouldn't get old RRD within 10 miles of that hell hole for 9 bucks a spider...errr.... hanger.....:no:
I am with you RRD I am like a little girl when it comes to spiders... and most other bugs too. I am so glad I live in an area where crawlspaces are rare. But you wont find me crawling around under them unless I REALLY NEED MONEY.

#13 ·
IHI said:
LOL, WTF did I miss??? joists are sitting on the brick/block and the candy store home inspector says they need joist hangers??? what is that going to gain??
WTF did I miss also???????

The original poster can take a sawzall and keep cutting the space between the bottom of the joists and the top of the sill until the cows come home to slide the hangers in or he'll have to put inside corner hangers on.

Pricing at $9.00 a hanger is obviously a joke. This whole thing is a joke.

#14 · (Edited)
Joe Carola said:
WTF did I miss also???????

The original poster can take a sawzall and keep cutting the space between the bottom of the joists and the top of the sill until the cows come home to slide the hangers in or he'll have to put inside corner hangers on.

Pricing at $9.00 a hanger is obviously a joke. This whole thing is a joke.

I dont understand either.

Tell that home inspector he should have installed them while digging in there crawlspace.

#15 · (Edited)
Ok Im curious. Exactly what is the problem with the joists? Are they sagging? Are they rotting? are they falling sideways (hey, Ive seen it happen)?
Tell us what is happening and we can be more specific about how to best fix it.
As for installation cost I would bid it at time and materials. There are too many variables under a house to bid accuratly unless I actually crawled under and looked at each location that needs a hanger. And then I would have to go under there again? Naw...T&M on this one.

#19 · (Edited)
You guys are all great! When I heard what the home inspector said and then to have an engineer get involved I was amazed. This house was in great shape, the crawl space has a nice moisture barrier, plenty of head room, very clean and the home is around 30 yrs old. Some joist were doubled some were single, no twisting, all were resting nicely on the brick and blocks. I was laughing the whole time I was under there house this morning, thinking how freaking stupid this is. Things went smoothly. I had a guy use a chisel and chisel enough of the joist to slide in the hanger, and I was right behind him. I charged $25.00 per hanger Fastest money I'd made all week. I feel for the home owner that felt the pressure from the buyer and engineer and inspector to have them do this. What a waist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.