Commercial Pop Top - Construction - Contractor Talk

Commercial Pop Top

Old 10-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

Commercial Pop Top

Hey guys. Any suggestions on how to put on a second floor above the first here. Two commercial tenants on the first floor have to stay in business during construction. I'm just not seeing it. Even if i ran temp everything before the roof and rafters were ripped off I don't see how I can guarantee the interior stays dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Commercial pop top-screenshot_20181014-233002_gallery_1539581441840.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,732

Re: Commercial Pop Top

Nothing is 100%.

Barring using a crane to lift off the roof and place walls and roof fabbed on the ground, the safest for a solo or small crew is cut a strip out of the roof deck over the top plates, and nail studs to the existing rafters and into the top plate. Patch the existing roof as you go. Get the second story all dried in before you remove the existing roof.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
bwiab (10-16-2018), Tinstaafl (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 8,691

Build a temp shelter About 4-5' higher and wider then New structure with Access panels for any need sky hooks(crane lifts). Think Car port, maybe even thin metal...roofing. Charge for and get insurance for high wind events.

2. demo or RAISE? old roof......What is holding up existing ceilings....

3. plumbing vents and drains??????

4. Is the structure sound with the roof iron removed.

Alternate, Just build a building on pillars/micropiles that surround legacy building footprint. Cut in a few posts near centerline. Lightweight concrete on metal pans for flooring?

2cd Alternate: demo 2 gable ends, build second story end walls, Then shack new floor, demo raise roof in 4-6 bits to conform to existing grid line structures.

What engineer will sign off on the added second floor loads to existing footings???

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 10-15-2018 at 01:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
bwiab (10-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 738

What business are the tenets in ?, and when you say stay in business I presume you mean occupy building while a second floor is added.

This just seems like a bad idea, how about renting a modular building out front and get the tenets out from under your feet, I have no idea what it would be like trying to run a business under a construction site trying to make phone calls etc.

The liability scares me people coming and going entering the ground level as I am adding a second floor, I would pass.

Fourth Gen make a good point do you have a foundation and walls that will support a second floor, and what will the upper floor be used for ?.
bwiab (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

All good things to consider. The liability, walls crashing in while under construction, aspect of it all scares me the most. The building is really a hodge podge. The photo shows one leg of an L shaped building. The other leg houses a mechanics garage (Owner) and then this leg has a bike shop and a car rental place on the first floor and a residential unit on the 2nd. The bike shop needs more space and has been a good tenant so the Owner wants to expand next to the residential unit and above the bike shop and the car rental.

Engineer I work with said typically 8" foundation with frost walls and 2x4 stud walls can be ok for a second floor through structural analysis as opposed to conventional framing.

Other option would be to just add on above the bike shop which is only one guy who would be more accommodating to not being in there while under construction as the addition is for his benefit. (bike shop needs more space)
Old 10-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Pro

Are existing plans to this hot mess?

are the top plates elevations the same or is a few buildings that share Party walls.

Will you have to upgrade the old spaces to currents fire & building codes as this is clearly more than a 25% remodel value?

Fire walls between existing tenets?

Adequate parking spaces and sewer runoff storage?

Roof peak elevation need a variance? Are barn style tin roofs still allowed zoning wise?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,058

That would be a nightmare run and run fast!
Fouthgeneration (10-19-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 1,358

Tenet is a belief or principle.

Tenant is a person renting real estate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (10-25-2018), mrcat (10-20-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 01:45 AM   #9
Pro

@ post # 8, wouldn't both apply here?

I can't see any business making so much money, that you can't remove them at some reasonable sum while the dangerous overhead work was performed,

Rent a couple job trailers, and run a couple of wireless routers with decent security....and Hope they just don't leave on their own.

Tell 'em(Tenants) no addition = ever higher rents for the prime location?

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 10-25-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,732

I'm sure the guy would like this to happen, but I doubt he'll like the price. It's very doable, but it takes more labor than you may think, plus protecting people from falling objects means you have to fence iff areas or put a protective cover over them.

Advertisement

Last edited by hdavis; 10-25-2018 at 09:31 AM.