Blueprints - Construction - Contractor Talk

Blueprints

Old 03-19-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Trade: contractor-all
Rewards Points: 10

Blueprints

Does anyone know if there are multiple different types of blueprints? I am trying to prepare a blueprint for a welding table.

Thanks!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

Trade: Engineering
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Blueprints

It may just be me but your question is very vague. There are different types of prints depending on what your doing just the same has there are different formats for prints. In my line of work a blueprint can techniclly be anything from a PDF that was drawn up with dimensions on it to full on Arch-D As-builts. Please get more specific with your question and i'll try to help out more.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 294

Technically blue prints don't exist anymore. Except in very old shops. "Blueprints" were coined because the prints were literally blue. The color developed from the reproduction technique using light sensitive paper and ammonia. The process resulted in a negative of the original design drawing creating white lines and a blue background. Hence... wait for it... BLUE PRINTS!

Today you can just call it prints or drawings or design drawings.

And yes, I have run real blue prints in my life. That ammonia makes your nose feel great.. but there was something ethereal about the light that flowed out of the machine. Straight out of Roswell, New Mexico.

And genmech is right. You would get more feedback on your question by googleing welding table. Need more specific questions to answer your post.
The Following User Says Thank You to bwiab For This Useful Post:
EmmCeeDee (03-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiab
Technically blue prints don't exist anymore. Except in very old shops. "Blueprints" were coined because the prints were literally blue. The color developed from the reproduction technique using light sensitive paper and ammonia. The process resulted in a negative of the original design drawing creating white lines and a blue background. Hence... wait for it... BLUE PRINTS! Today you can just call it prints or drawings or design drawings. And yes, I have run real blue prints in my life. That ammonia makes your nose feel great.. but there was something ethereal about the light that flowed out of the machine. Straight out of Roswell, New Mexico. And genmech is right. You would get more feedback on your question by googleing welding table. Need more specific questions to answer your post.
Actually there is a thing called an inventors blueprint. I think this is what he's referring to.

Last edited by Calidecks; 03-20-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

Trade: Engineering
Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiab View Post
Technically blue prints don't exist anymore. Except in very old shops. "Blueprints" were coined because the prints were literally blue. The color developed from the reproduction technique using light sensitive paper and ammonia. The process resulted in a negative of the original design drawing creating white lines and a blue background. Hence... wait for it... BLUE PRINTS!

Today you can just call it prints or drawings or design drawings.

And yes, I have run real blue prints in my life. That ammonia makes your nose feel great.. but there was something ethereal about the light that flowed out of the machine. Straight out of Roswell, New Mexico.

And genmech is right. You would get more feedback on your question by googleing welding table. Need more specific questions to answer your post.

I have had several companies propose subbmittals using a color scheme similar to real blueprints. Why bother with that much blue ink to make it look the same, I have no idea. i have some old actual blueprints framed in my office. I love the old look but using a modern day plotter is much more efficent.