Best Practices Prior To Drywall Close In - Construction - Contractor Talk

Best Practices Prior To Drywall Close In

Old 06-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #1
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 290

Best Practices Prior To Drywall Close In

Hey Guys,

Was thinking about checklists we used in the commercial realm after/during rough in and prior to drywall. Realized that some of that could be useful/required in the residential world, but wasn't too sure about it. Couple of questions for you. Appreciate your insight. For these purposes, let's assume this is new construction.

1. Is a plumbing pressure test required in residential construction. Seems like good practice to me. Do you do this as part of your quality control? Code requirement? Water and waste line?

2. What would be a comparable electrical test? Low voltage?

3. Does hvac balancing occur in residential new construction? Do you check for leakage prior to drywall?

4. What checks would you do for insulation? Visual inspection for continuity of barrier?

5. Do you check for blocking in the correct places?

Any other thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 11:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 810

Re: Best Practices Prior To Drywall Close In

1. Is a plumbing pressure test required in residential construction. Seems like good practice to me. Do you do this as part of your quality control? Code requirement? Water and waste line?

This is per code here.

2. What would be a comparable electrical test? Low voltage?

Nothing in place so far as I know.

3. Does hvac balancing occur in residential new construction? Do you check for leakage prior to drywall?

Not typical as units aren't usually even powered up prior to drywall, and usually the condensing units aren't even installed until landscaping is going on. So, long after drywall is done.

4. What checks would you do for insulation? Visual inspection for continuity of barrier?

We have an insulation inspection here. I believe it happens prior to framing inspection.

5. Do you check for blocking in the correct places?

Naturally any firestop / draft stop blocking would be inspected during framing inspection. Otherwise accessory blocking is usually defined in the SOW with framer and GC and is usually inspected by superintendant prior to drywall.

Only other thing we do is mark out with red marker or paint where anything major is in the wall (plumbing / electrical) at the floor so the trim carpenters know not to nail screw in that area.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseCocozza For This Useful Post:
bwiab (06-23-2015), griz (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #3
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,290

Re: Best Practices Prior To Drywall Close In

I have the same answers as Jesse.