Base For Concrete - Construction - Contractor Talk

Base For Concrete

Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #1

Trade: Paving stone

Base For Concrete

Hey all, We built an ICF Pool, and still have one section of the floor to pour. This section is in a shallow end so it is raised about 3 feet off an already poured concrete pad, id like to get this poured soon, i had wanted to continually soak this fill with water to get great compaction but since the walls are ICF and the floor beneath the fill is already concrete, is it an issue if the fill is at all wet prior to pouring on top since technically the moisture would be trapped for good after all the concrete is complete? There will be rigid foam under the new pad as well, it has hydronic floor heat. Does this make sense?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #2

Re: Base For Concrete

This sectiom has a solid sealed concrete base already, with about 2-3 feet fill above, and will have concrete floor placed on top now
Attached Thumbnails
Base for concrete-screenshot_20190323-121551_gallery_1553361405580.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 120

I wouldn't pour on top of the wet fill. It's likely to cause issues down the road. Once the moisture drys out it could heave or sag on you.

Maybe consider replacing the fill with u-fill or an engineered fill to backfill it? Neither of those require compaction. U-Fill would take a day to set up but the engineered fill could be poured over the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 218

you over saturated the soil in hopes of compaction? or did i read that wrong?

what happens when that water migrates out of your excavation? personally, i'd have a civil look at it and give you a plan of attack.

cracks or structure failure isn't worth it.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #5

Thanks guys, I thought of saturating it to assist in compaction but so far have done nothing. removing the fill wouldnt be very fun. Its 2ft deep of fill so not really much (in a 12'x10' area), i could just run my small packer over it a bunch. So far it should still be relatively dry as the fill was dry when i put it down in fall and it has been tarped over winter. being completely sealed would the moisture ever actually leave? grade 10 science has long come and gone lol i would be more worried about heaving in winter as oppose to the fill settling as its a 6" pad getting poured , rebar 12" o.c.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 218

Have you ever seen soil from am excavation that comes out in layers of light clay, heavier clays, layers of course gravel, and layers of fine sand.

Now they're all mixed in your spoil pile and a combination/compaction of dissimilar soils can create problems with future soils expansion and shrinkage due to moisture content of soils changing.

I agree with above, get that soil you placed in the excavation pulled, and go with flowable fill.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2019, 10:56 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,268

We are required by our engineers to completely saturate soil that's got a high content of clay in some cases. Then pour a structural slab on top. The idea is to expand the clay first to prevent heaving. Then a structural slab should be designed well enough to support itself if the clay shrinks.

When I say saturate I mean able to stick a prod into the soil about 12 inches without a lot of force.

Mike.

Advertisement

Last edited by Calidecks; 03-23-2019 at 10:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
Rio (03-24-2019)