New Apartment Complex - Specialty Trades Picture Post - Contractor Talk

New Apartment Complex

Old 11-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #1
CCC

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 537

New Apartment Complex

Here is another we are on the verge of wrapping up here pretty quick. This one was unique because we used Helix Steel fibers (replaces the need for steel or mesh in concrete) for the first time on a commercial job and were pretty satisfied with the overall product but learned a lesson on cutting the slab the same day. Dont. It pulls up the steel fibers and makes it spall so we stopped and waited till the next day, within the spec's.

There were over 40 columns we had to stand and place. Almost every coming was on a different grid line. Only a few rows actually lined up in one direction but almost none lined up the other way. All the columns also had a different elevation(11' to 15' +/- ) and a bolt pattern on top. Not very fun to pour and place each bolt pattern when you basically cannot place string lines on top to check each direction.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CConcreteEx For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (11-27-2014), skillman (11-26-2014), superseal (11-26-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 11:47 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,052

Re: New Apartment Complex

Nice, you do some cool chit....

How many yards?

PSI & slump?

Advertisement

CConcreteEx (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 538

Awesome. That is all.
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
The Following User Says Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Safety Third

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 916

Again, your concrete work looks real legit. That's a decent sized site, too. How much mud? I'm not too keen on using the fibres and no bar. I'm sure some eng. has it all spec'd out, but up here bar keeps everything together when the frost kicks. Fibre just adds strength for machine bases and shop floors.

I am just about done with setting 75 (!!!!) sonotube columns around the lot of the new dealership we're building for lamp posts. Not many on the same lines, with bolt patterns, a full cage and conduit coming up through all of them. I know the pain man

Last edited by shanewreckd; 11-26-2014 at 12:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shanewreckd For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-28-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Nice, you do some cool chit....

How many yards?

PSI & slump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewreckd View Post
Again, your concrete work looks real legit. That's a decent sized site, too. How much mud? I'm not too keen on using the fibres and no bar. I'm sure some eng. has it all spec'd out, but up here bar keeps everything together when the frost kicks. Fibre just adds strength for machine bases and shop floors.

I am just about done with setting 75 (!!!!) sonotube columns around the lot of the new dealership we're building for lamp posts. Not many on the same lines, with bolt patterns, a full cage and conduit coming up through all of them. I know the pain man

For the parking garage (4 stories on top) is was two identical pours. Both were boom pumped and both were 4000psi with 5% air, Helix fiber, and water reducer to a 6" slump on site. I think it was about 150 yards for each one. Both poured at different times, about 3 weeks apart. I think it was about 10,000sq for each side, I forget and too lazy to do the math right now. Ha
Then we have one strip down the middle that will lock it together. Maybe another 100 yards or so but we have to wait till the crane is out of the way.

I was never into the fiber thing either till I started to do some research on it. In fact, it looks like this is maybe (?) the wave of the future. I'm like most of you, how can a little strand of steel fiber replace #4 or even higher rebar? I was born a cynic so I was obviously very skeptical until we started taking it to some of our Generals and working with them. We had to present all the information to them and if the engineer and architect buy off, who am I to argue? So the dosage rate we used only replaced wire mesh which we all know isn't structural in the first place so we used a relatively light dosage to compensate for the WWM. Nothing was changed about how you pour. The fibers don't, or didn't stick up. It brooms just the same. No issues. The only issue we had was cutting it with our Soff-Cut saw. As it passed some of the fibers close to the top it would rip out and spall the top. So we just cut the next morning, within the 24 hours spec'd. Ill say this, we did experience less cracking than you would imagine on this type of slab. Not all the saw cuts were to the centers of the columns because every column was staggered or off grid like I said. There were several 45 and 90 degree corners without cracks. Was it the Helix? I know what the rep would say!
Thanks for the comments!
The Following User Says Thank You to CConcreteEx For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (11-27-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,846

Looks great,...and I love the pics.

Reminds me of my threads

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-28-2014)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConcreteEx View Post
Here is another we are on the verge of wrapping up here pretty quick. This one was unique because we used Helix Steel fibers (replaces the need for steel or mesh in concrete) for the first time on a commercial job and were pretty satisfied with the overall product but learned a lesson on cutting the slab the same day. Dont. It pulls up the steel fibers and makes it spall so we stopped and waited till the next day, within the spec's.

There were over 40 columns we had to stand and place. Almost every coming was on a different grid line. Only a few rows actually lined up in one direction but almost none lined up the other way. All the columns also had a different elevation(11' to 15' +/- ) and a bolt pattern on top. Not very fun to pour and place each bolt pattern when you basically cannot place string lines on top to check each direction.

That looks cool! What do you use to set your elevations? How do you ensure accuracy with the embeds in this case?

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
The Following User Says Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #8
CCC

It was a little tricky and a few different methods were used. Since literally every collumn was on a different line and the ones that were in a line were 250' away it wasn't easy. We just made sure every sonotube was dead level. Then we had to pull metal tapes from one to another or a stringline we setup to pull all out dimensions from and recalculated everything. That was the most used method but like I said. It wasn't easy 14' in the air on a snorkel lift.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
Forming and Framing

Quote:
It was a little tricky and a few different methods were used. Since literally every collumn was on a different line and the ones that were in a line were 250' away it wasn't easy. We just made sure every sonotube was dead level. Then we had to pull metal tapes from one to another or a stringline we setup to pull all out dimensions from and recalculated everything. That was the most used method but like I said. It wasn't easy 14' in the air on a snorkel lift.
No doubt, looks like a challenge.

The Following User Says Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (02-23-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #10
Forming and Framing

Quote:
Do you guys use total stations?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #11
CCC

No, probably should though...
Old 08-09-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Nice work. I wonder why they didn't use steel columns though.

Advertisement

CConcreteEx (08-09-2015)