Concrete Beams - Specialty Trades Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Concrete Beams

Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
CCC

Trade: Concrete
Rewards Points: 537
Lightbulb

Concrete Beams

New to the site and thought I would share some beams and other things were about to complete at a trades school. These are 16" beams that vary in height. The max height was 4' and varied to around 3' 6" on others. Almost all of the colored beams had a metal C channel embed. Obviously the determined the layout on the steel so all needed to be the exact correct height and locations with each C channel being unique (heights and layout locations #'s etc) for each placement and location.

Formwork had to be carefully constructed to the exact height around each embed and screwed down.What made it extra challenging is that this was to be a wood form finish per the owner. They also requested that there not be ANY holes of any type to braces the forms through the middle. This meant we had to place enormous amounts of bracing on the outside to ensure there wouldn't be a blowout 20 and 40 foot in the air. They also wanted the grain look beam from the wood and a free finish SonoTube look. If you look close you wont see the rings in the SonoTubes. These tubes were a special order and we were extremely pleased with the outcome.
The double stacked beam was made in two pours. The bottom beam and SonoTubes were poured monolithic. The top beam and sonoTubes were also poured monolithic using a 16' viabrator to reach the bottoms of the tubes.
If I remember correctly I think there was about 320LF of beam constructed and close to 3 taken off my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Beams-s.f.c.c.843beam_31sfcc-colored-bea.jpg   Concrete Beams-s.f.c.c.843beam_64sfcc-colored-bea.jpg   Concrete Beams-s.f.c.c.843beam_6sfcc-colored-bea.jpg   Concrete Beams-santa-fe-cc.-16in-x-24-4-colored-beams-90-.jpg   Concrete Beams-santa-fe-cc.-16in-x-24-4-colored-beams-39-.jpg  

Concrete Beams-santa-fe-cc.-16in-x-24-4-colored-beams-29-.jpg  

Last edited by CConcreteEx; 10-18-2010 at 09:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CConcreteEx For This Useful Post:
Joasis (11-26-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
CCC

Re: Concrete Beams

A few more..
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Beams-_069.jpg   Concrete Beams-santa-fe-cc.-16in-x-24-4-colored-beams-37-.jpg   Concrete Beams-_080.jpg   Concrete Beams-s.f.c.c.843beam_9sfcc-colored-bea.jpg   Concrete Beams-s.f.c.c.843beam_10sfcc-colored-bea.jpg  

Concrete Beams-s.f.c.c.843beam_14sfcc-colored-bea.jpg  

Advertisement

Joasis (11-26-2014)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 3,430

Very nice
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (10-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Mason Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Very nice job, how much a $ yard do you charge for work like that $
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ9222 For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
CCC

I dont remember the LF price but it was up there considering the complexity of the beams.
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
CCC

Can a MOD move this thread to the Specialty Trades Pic forum? I think its more appropriate there. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConcreteEx View Post
New to the site and thought I would share some beams and other things were about to complete at a trades school. These are 16" beams that vary in height. The max height was 4' and varied to around 3' 6" on others. Almost all of the colored beams had a metal C channel embed. Obviously the determined the layout on the steel so all needed to be the exact correct height and locations with each C channel being unique (heights and layout locations #'s etc) for each placement and location.

Formwork had to be carefully constructed to the exact height around each embed and screwed down.What made it extra challenging is that this was to be a wood form finish per the owner. They also requested that there not be ANY holes of any type to braces the forms through the middle. This meant we had to place enormous amounts of bracing on the outside to ensure there wouldn't be a blowout 20 and 40 foot in the air. They also wanted the grain look beam from the wood and a free finish SonoTube look. If you look close you wont see the rings in the SonoTubes. These tubes were a special order and we were extremely pleased with the outcome.
The double stacked beam was made in two pours. The bottom beam and SonoTubes were poured monolithic. The top beam and sonoTubes were also poured monolithic using a 16' viabrator to reach the bottoms of the tubes.
If I remember correctly I think there was about 320LF of beam constructed and close to 3 taken off my life.
You guys seem to have a solid knowledge of basic skills & techniques. You otta try moving up & taking on some bigger jobs.

Very Clean work.!!
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (10-19-2010)
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
CCC

Thanks to whoever moved this!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

Thats very cool, id like to see some more forming pictures.

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
The Following User Says Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 538

That is some damn fine form work and a real nice finish too.
Good job man.
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
The Following User Says Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #11
Safety Third

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 898

This is an old one But none the less.

That's some nice, clean work you do. I like the wood grain, I can only imagine the extra braces I'd be throwing in to replace the ties you couldn't use.
The Following User Says Thank You to shanewreckd For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewreckd View Post
This is an old one But none the less.

That's some nice, clean work you do. I like the wood grain, I can only imagine the extra braces I'd be throwing in to replace the ties you couldn't use.
That was as complex of a job as ive ever done. Lots of pre-planning and lots of looking at all the steel drawings to make sure your 40' long imbedded C channels end up in the right spots.
Kept me up and night but wouldn't trade experiences like that for the world. Its funny how many times since then ive relied on those beams to this day! That was a special job to me.
And thank you for the compliments!
asevereid (11-25-2014)
Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 AM   #13

Trade: Masonry / Concrete
Rewards Points: 26

Nicely done Sir. Looks great.

Ben

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to BenjaminA For This Useful Post:
CConcreteEx (11-29-2014)