Wrapping Window Exterior In Aluminum? - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Wrapping Window Exterior In Aluminum?

Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #1

Trade: Custom Cabinetry
Rewards Points: 75

Wrapping Window Exterior In Aluminum?

Any advise/tips from any of you pros on wrapping exterior windows in aluminum? I have worked with a break before in doing facia and soffit trim but never on windows. I know this is a hands-on thing but if someone could point me to a site that has any procedures it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know the correct bends, sequence of installing pieces, best way to attach aluminum, sealing, etc. Photos would be great! Thanks a ton!

Rocky

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 60

Re: Wrapping Window Exterior In Aluminum?

One thing that I usually always do is make what I call a template. I bend a thin (3/4") srip of aluminum into the shape i want. I check this around the whole window to make sure it fits. Sometimes I need to make changes to it for what ever reason. I find this method faster and more accurate then trying to measure for every bend.

I also always put a hem bend ( metal folded over against it self) on the part of the capping that goes against the window. It strengthens the edge of the metal and also there are no sharp edges when I run my finger over it smoothing the caulk.

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

We don't do a whole lot of siding and coil work anymore. In fact, my brake is older than some of the posters here and you have to know how to hold your jaw just right to use it.

I would always make what I called a cheat stick for each peice I wanted to repeat. It was a thin 24" long scrap. All the measurements were marked on it for a particular piece, one for window sills, another for sides and tops. All you have to do is cut your coil to length and lay the cheat stick on it to transfer your measures. You can lay out how ever many pieces will fit across the width for mass production.

I also prefer to wrap the coil around the J channel for a better look. Plus I feel it helps keep out the rain better.

Good Luck
Dave
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling/building
Rewards Points: 150

I also made a guage out of a piece of scrap coil about an inch wide. Make a bend on one end to hook over the piece of metal I'm bending so I can just hook and transfer.

Another thing I did was instead of marking with a pencil I took my straight snips and made about a fourth inch cut for the marks. That way I could transfer the cuts to the coil and when you stick the piece in the brake just lift the outside of the cut slightly and it will butt against the jaw of the brake. No looking or guess work. Your bend is always exactly on plus it's lots faster.

On windows your usually cutting the ends off anyway so the cuts don't really slow you down.

May waste a few inches of coil per roll but the time it saves in laying out and eliminating screw ups makes up for it
Old 03-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling/building
Rewards Points: 150

I just noticed I hit 200 posts after three years. If I live to 100 I might hit 2000.
This is a great board. I wish I had it while I was out beating my brains out trying to make a go of it.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesD View Post
I just noticed I hit 200 posts after three years. If I live to 100 I might hit 2000.
This is a great board. I wish I had it while I was out beating my brains out trying to make a go of it.

Congrats Charles, GMOD
Old 03-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Start at the bottom, and like an boss used to tell me, "THINK LIKE A RAINDROP",GMOD
Old 04-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

Trade: Energy-related improvements/Alternative Energies
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
Start at the bottom, and like an boss used to tell me, "THINK LIKE A RAINDROP",GMOD

And, if you happen to work on the east coast, Think like a waterfall!

Buck

Advertisement