Window Height - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Window Height

Old 08-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #1

Trade: Timber Frame Construction
Rewards Points: 10

Window Height

My construction experience is primarily with masonry and timber framing, so I'm not normally involved with traditional framing work...

The project we're involved with at the moment involves erecting a pre-engineered steel frame -- with horizontally-oriented wood girts and purlins attached to the outside of the frame -- and then constructing a timber frame mezzanine inside of the shell. We got the job on the condition that we act as lead on the entire project (including design); hence, the rookie question.

I was wondering if the framers out there have a rule of thumb for window height. In other words, how far should a rough window opening fall below an 8' ceiling?

Please bear in mind that loading and width are not of great concern in this case. The frame was designed to bear the load, so this is really a matter of rough framing with double girts above the window opening, trimmers & kings for the jambs and sills & cripples underneath.

I suppose this might be a design question about aesthetics, but I thought the framers out there might have a good suggestion for a uniform spacing above windows (for non-bearing walls).

Thank you for your time,
Red

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,012

Re: Window Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOak View Post
My construction experience is primarily with masonry and timber framing, so I'm not normally involved with traditional framing work...

The project we're involved with at the moment involves erecting a pre-engineered steel frame -- with horizontally-oriented wood girts and purlins attached to the outside of the frame -- and then constructing a timber frame mezzanine inside of the shell. We got the job on the condition that we act as lead on the entire project (including design); hence, the rookie question.

I was wondering if the framers out there have a rule of thumb for window height. In other words, how far should a rough window opening fall below an 8' ceiling?

Please bear in mind that loading and width are not of great concern in this case. The frame was designed to bear the load, so this is really a matter of rough framing with double girts above the window opening, trimmers & kings for the jambs and sills & cripples underneath.

I suppose this might be a design question about aesthetics, but I thought the framers out there might have a good suggestion for a uniform spacing above windows (for non-bearing walls).

Thank you for your time,
Red
Where I'm from standard window height matches the 6'8" door height . That would be 83" off the floor.

Advertisement

knucklehead (08-14-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,314

Same here for the top, header height matches door header height.

And then for the sill, you need to make sure they are designed to code. If the window is required for emergency egress, the maximum sill height is 44 inches, inspector's will check that. There's minimum square footage sizes for emergency escape openings too, depending on the occupancy type, and height above ground. You need to read through the code and see what applies to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #4

Thanks, fellas. I knew that 44" was the max sill height in a bedroom, but I wasn't aware of the minimum square footage requirements. I'll have to look into that for sure.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential Light commercial
Rewards Points: 2,610

I know where I'm at it's 1000 sq inches . Basically half of a 48x48
Old 08-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #6

Where are you, Ninja?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential Light commercial
Rewards Points: 2,610

Southern Utah
Old 08-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #8
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,474

44" is for the basement bedroom window egress. Glazing should be located 18" minimum from the floor and everything bellow that should be tempered glass.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,344

There are light and ventilation requirements that factor into a room as well as egress.
The 83" Joe said should be standard for visual consistency. Then the minimum of one egress unit. Openable 24" min hgt, 20"wdth Casement windows offer more freedom and 1 floor windows can be 5 sqft if grade level and 5.7 sqft for the rest. (have to check that) In addition to tempering windows with sills lower than 36" 6ft above grade need safety bars.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #10

The structure in question here is entirely above grade -- concrete slab -- no basement.

The footings are 10" thick and the 10-inch frost walls extend 38" below grade (48" total below grade). Although there is still some discussion going on about this, the walls are looking like they will be full 8' ICF, so that means that the walls will also rise 58" above grade -- and the steel frame will be bolted to the top of the foundation.

As I mentioned previously, the 1st floor ceiling height will be 8' (minimum), so I'm assuming that the standard window and door height of 83" (off of the floor) still applies.

How would the rest of the minimum and maximums already mentioned in the thread be affected in this particular design?

I'd be very interested in reading any productive thoughts on this unusual design.

Thanks again for your time,
Red

Advertisement