Vinyl And Fiber Cement Siding Questions - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Vinyl And Fiber Cement Siding Questions

Old 06-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #1

Trade: Interior design
Rewards Points: 10

Vinyl And Fiber Cement Siding Questions

So I just received a bid on residing my house, and the wife and I are trying to decide on alside vinyl or James Hardie fiber cement. There is a little bit of a difference in prices, but not a whole lot overall. Now what's currently on the house is wood siding. 90+% is still in good condition. My main concern is if it's a big deal to have them take off the wood siding before putting up the vinyl, or if they just cut out the bad spots, put new wood up, and cover. Cost is going to be a grand more if they have to take out all the wood siding if we do vinyl. This house was built in the mid 70's, so there's a chance it might be lead paint covering it now. I'm located in central Iowa, where we have extreme temps in summer and winter. The house is also 3,000+ square feet. They will also be putting up fan fold insulation behind the vinyl if we go with it. What about putting up new tyvek with either option? Is it something that should be done? Not sure what's under there now for wall insulation, main floor seems to stay very comfortable, and all windows on main floor are 4 years old, triple pane glass, either argon or kyrpton gas inside. So main question is, Is it worth it to pay a little bit more and go with fiber, even though the difference in price can go towards a new furnace and A.C. unit? I don't want to be cheap, and if we are going to put this much into it, I don't want to hate or regret anything down the road. Thanks for the help, and if I need to edit anything let me know.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

Trade: Interior design
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Vinyl And Fiber Cement Siding Questions

Anyone??

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Re: Vinyl And Fiber Cement Siding Questions