Siding Installer Starting His Own Business? Help????? Plz - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Siding Installer Starting His Own Business? Help????? Plz

Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Trade: Vinyl Siding
Rewards Points: 4

Siding Installer Starting His Own Business? Help????? Plz

I Have been around vinyl siding since i was 13. never paid too much attention to it growing up. i would help my uncle and step dad every once in a while for some cash. then at 23 i worked doing fiber cement lap on 6 retirement home projects over the span of about 18months. I am now 30 and last year i encouraged and helped my uncle start his Siding crew back up after 10 years. i've been running the brake for a year. i can make all the bends and i install most our fascia metal wrap and door trim. Due to just not seeing eye to eye with my uncle on the direction of the business, and his stubbornness when it comes to asking for help in areas that he has forgot about since he's been away from vinyl for 10 years. I've been doing a lot of my own learning online from manufactures recommendations and certified installer programs. i've come to learn that alot of the ways my uncle installs siding is pretty much just butcher work.

Now, I wont be arrogant and act like i know everything i should to start and finish a job on my own from start to finish. but im getting paid 15$ an hour to watch my uncle spin his wheels, and im no longer learning anything from him. he's sub contracting currently through a local window company. I have enough money to buy all my own equipment and go out on my own. i would really just like some suggestions on how i should go about it and where i could possilby find a experienced installer thats dependable that knows how to properly install Siding, Windows, and Doors.

I literally watched my uncle and his helper spend 8 hours on a freckin storm door. lol

I have two green horns ready to work. i would have to sub contract untill i got my License to do my own jobs. I'm thinking i'd be alot better off just doing my own thing.

Sorry for the long post guys. my first post in fact!!! im eager to learn and network. Thanks for any help my brethren

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Siding Installer Starting His Own Business? Help????? Plz

wtf do you need to know?..

Advertisement

A&E Exteriors (07-27-2016), HomeSealed (07-27-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,784

Sounds like WTF has a solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 862

If you're a little nervous about going out on your own, you could ease into it by being a subcontract installer for Champion, Andersen windows, Home Depot, or Lowes.

I don't know what the market is like in Arkansas, but around here, they are almost always looking for more install crews.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

After the job is complete... customer comes to have a look, and says, "WTF!"

LOL... explains the name...
Old 07-18-2016, 05:41 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry; Kitchen & Bath Reno
Rewards Points: 1,016

Those storm doors don't always go in so easy.

Start with insurance, whatever licenses you might need in your area, some cash in your account for the upcoming lean times.

My advice would be to start small, take jobs you can handle as a one man show, get used to running a business.

Your greenhorns might be pretty expensive, you can't just say they're subcontractors unless they run businesses independent from yours.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:21 AM   #7

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of going with Lowe's. At least until i get reliable help. What's a good pay base to start negotiations? There's a couple local businesses I've spoke to , so far no ones mentioned anything over 95$ a square for vinyl
Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,610

We used to get 45 a square. No one can tell you a good rate, as we don't know your expenses.

How much siding can you put up a day, are soffit and fascias an extra. What do you provide and what do they provide. How about any repairs? How long from finish until you get paid.

Just a few things that think about. I would assume there isn't much negotiation to be had a far as price. At 95 bucks a square, you could make some decent money on single stories, or even simple two stories with standard lap siding. That is if you are fast and efficient.

Just reread where you haven't done a lot of steady vinyl work. You will struggle for a while. It takes a few years to get to where you are both fast and have high quality. To make money on a basic vinyl job, you need to just fly. No thinking, just trim, cut panels, install. Rinse and repeat. After all the flashing, taping, bending and housewrapping that is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by VinylHanger; 07-19-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

Im currently working with my uncle on a job in Little Rock. He doesn't do any wrap, we tore off some very old Alcoa metal siding. Underneath was old one by two wood beveled siding. Even where most of the old wood came off the wall. We were told to just foam it. There is 44 poly 3/4inch foam that we put up as sheething. Then put vinyl right on that. Only put metal return on the window and butted the J to that. The vinyl we have up is all bowed
Old 07-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Lowes will set the rate if you work for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A&E Exteriors (07-28-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #11
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 357

Let's refrain from the "how much do you charge" posts. We don't allow those here, as they are pointless. What I charge, and what you charge are based on completely different things. It sounds like you know a good bit about siding, including how long things should take. Your weakness appears to be the business side. A lot of us here, including myself, have faced the same hurdles.

From a business perspective, I would suggest that you sit down with an accountant, and discuss all the various costs of starting up and operating a legitimate business. If your planning on doing this long term, getting all the i's dotted and t's crossed is essential.

Easy Gibson
Old 07-19-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

My apologies. I appreciate the feedback! Are there any workshops or field training expos in the Arkansas- midsouth region? I really would like to know the right way to do vinyl, Windows and doors. Especially retro fit.

I can get work 2maro if i went out on my own. There's all kinds of contractors here that need subs. But I don't want to be one of these janky crews.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #13
Pro

hmm..the ''right way'' to do vinyl..my friend that will come with experience,Certainteed has some online ''training'' as does the vinyl siding institute.

But you should look for training from weather barrier co.such as tyvek and such,window and door installations,often lumber yards/suppliers host informal seminars,these things are integral to any siding job no matter what the product

..there is no real ''right way'' but there are a lot of wrong ways to install vinyl siding
Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

One of my siding suppliers offers a contractor referral service.
If you've taken the certified installer program through a distributor,they
may also offer this service.
Check with all the local suppliers.
My salesman said he'd just need to see a few of my past installations.Not sure he'd
know what he was looking for,but neatness and the attention to detail that your uncle lacks would be selling points.
You might be better off working for a better installer while you hone your craft,hands on is the best teacher,wanting to do it right is the best motivator.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
hmm..the ''right way'' to do vinyl..my friend that will come with experience,Certainteed has some online ''training'' as does the vinyl siding institute.

But you should look for training from weather barrier co.such as tyvek and such,window and door installations,often lumber yards/suppliers host informal seminars,these things are integral to any siding job no matter what the product

..there is no real ''right way'' but there are a lot of wrong ways to install vinyl siding
I was typing way too slow!
Ditto
Old 07-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #16
Pro

..yea but you said it better..
Old 07-19-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
..yea but you said it better..
Don't know if that's true,but thanks for the boost.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldfrt For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-19-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #18
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 618

Vinyl hanger had great advice above (as did others)...
As a sub, you generally aren't setting a price. You sub from a company, and they will give you the price that they pay. Anyone that asks for your rate sheet (smaller or local companies) will expect it to come in around the going rate in your market. All of this stuff about basing pricing on your expenses and business model etc is great and true when you are selling retail and have a broad spectrum of prices that you can charge, but in subcontracting, you will need to conform YOUR expenses to what they are willing to pay. The price that you were quoted from LOWES is a decent reference point. You will NOT make much money starting out at those rates until you get a proficient crew. I'd recommend trying to find some of your own work to supplement that if you can. Present a professional image to any prospective company (or homeowner) that you want work from. If your name really is wtf, change it. Now. If you are clean cut, can talk to people, and do average or better work, you will never have a shortage of work when it comes to subbing. Then someday down the road, maybe you are selling enough of your own work that you are able to move away from it, and sell only your own jobs.
Also, as stated above, get all necessary licenses, certifications, etc. Get VSI certified, etc.

Advertisement