Screwing Aluminum Trim To Window. - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Screwing Aluminum Trim To Window.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Screwing Aluminum Trim To Window.

We are constantly evolving our trim system, to make it look as clean as possible. We are currently experimenting, with the following, instead of nailing through the side of our aluminum trim into the old wood trim, bending a 5/8" - 3/4" flange that comes over the face of the replacement window. We would apply a bead of silicone on the face of with window, our "flange" would then be pushed into the caulking, and we will then use small white screws to screw the trim into the window, rather than the wood trim.

Ill take some pics, we have experimented a few times and it looks very neat. Hides the caulking, and if you mess up its easier to remove a screw than a nail.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #2
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

Re: Screwing Aluminum Trim To Window.

I agree that it would look cleaner but wouldnt you see the head of the screw? If so the the head of the screw may collect/hold contaminates making them look even bolder. The screw would have to have a flat head too or it will dimple the metal. Just my opinion.

Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
I agree that it would look cleaner but wouldnt you see the head of the screw? If so the the head of the screw may collect/hold contaminates making them look even bolder. The screw would have to have a flat head too or it will dimple the metal. Just my opinion.
We have been using the really tiny screws that are provided with the windows for holding on the head expanders, which we discard anyways. The flange is bent at about 100 degrees rather than 90, so that it hugs the window, and the screw is set just enough, so there is no ripple effect.

We bend a special J channel for our siding, and our trim snaps onto the J channel. by screwing to the window, it is saving use from having to be super detailed about bumping out our trim exactly perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
We have been using the really tiny screws that are provided with the windows for holding on the head expanders, which we discard anyways. The flange is bent at about 100 degrees rather than 90, so that it hugs the window, and the screw is set just enough, so there is no ripple effect.

We bend a special J channel for our siding, and our trim snaps onto the J channel. by screwing to the window, it is saving use from having to be super detailed about bumping out our trim exactly perfect.
I appreciate how fussy you are about
your install technique and finished product.
So I'm wondering if you are taking into
consideration that the screws will
corrode if they aren't aluminum or
stainless?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolitic View Post
I appreciate how fussy you are about
your install technique and finished product.
So I'm wondering if you are taking into
consideration that the screws will
corrode if they aren't aluminum or
stainless?
Non magnetic stainless. We are getting away from rivits, as the hole in the center sticks out too much. The screws Looks better than a rivet, and the paint holds better than a trim nail. Last week we experimented, and made the reveal between our trim and the siding 1-1/4 instead of the 3/4 we normally do, and it looked really sharp, and the neighbors and customer loved it. I will get some pics up. My final goal will be to get our trim snap so tight that ZERO fasteners will be needed. We are getting very close to that point
Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Quote:
Non magnetic stainless. We are getting away from rivits, as the hole in the center sticks out too much. The screws Looks better than a rivet, and the paint holds better than a trim nail. Last week we experimented, and made the reveal between our trim and the siding 1-1/4 instead of the 3/4 we normally do, and it looked really sharp, and the neighbors and customer loved it. I will get some pics up. My final goal will be to get our trim snap so tight that ZERO fasteners will be needed. We are getting very close to that point
I admire your dedication to detail.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:24 PM   #7
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

I use titanium kryptonite screws on my window trim those seem to work well but it raises the price per window to 14mil per window

Old 06-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I use titanium kryptonite screws on my window trim those seem to work well but it raises the price per window to 14mil per window
is that for the window and trim, or just for the trim?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
Professional Instigator

Trim only baby, the window is $189 installed

Old 06-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
Trim only baby, the window is $189 installed
Makes sense, I usually tell people our trim is the best part of having us install their windows
Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #11
Professional Instigator

Yep we usually install a window for 189, trim is 300 bucks. Unless we use the krypton screws

Old 06-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #12

Trade: Windows and Doors
Rewards Points: 75

I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of your method, Patrick. No visible fasteners is something I try to achieve, but doesn't always happen. On one such occasion after wrapping a patio door without using any nails and caulking it in place with a nice straight bead of Quad, the homeowner asked me why there was no nails. You see the last installer who did the other patio door used nails to fasten their aluminum... SIGH.. Sometimes you can't win.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Student
Rewards Points: 250

That is a neat idea, especially the idea of no caulk showing.

If the window has an accessory groove you can use a pea shooter and nail the metal into the groove and tap it in with a small flat bar, a small bead of caulk will cover the nail head nicely and be barely noticable.

Another thing I have tried is to use glazing tape and bend the flange opposite of how you are doing it now and basically stick the flange to the tape, looks pretty clean if you use a nice thin tape.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Pro

I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow. Very Clean look, the guys love it, we are also installing a lot faster too. It also makes it very easy to adjust for out of whack windows and walls as you just stretch the trim to where it needs to be and screw it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Specializing in residential remodeling

Quote:

Sounds to me to be well thought out way for detailing the window trim. I'm looking forward to seeing some pic's of your work Patrick. I know that you use either stainless steel/titanium kryptonite screws so I was just wondering if you could add a plastic snap cap onto the screw head? Just throwing out an idea of course. http://www.pro-dec.com/

Old 07-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_builder View Post
Sounds to me to be well thought out way for detailing the window trim. I'm looking forward to seeing some pic's of your work Patrick. I know that you use either stainless steel/titanium kryptonite screws so I was just wondering if you could add a plastic snap cap onto the screw head? Just throwing out an idea of course. http://www.pro-dec.com/
They really blend in, the key is to try to put the screws in the same place on every window. We are using phillips head zip screws because I found the hex head ones get torn up by the socket bit. Now I just need to find a source for buying these in bulk quantities
Old 07-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman,Doors,Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
They really blend in, the key is to try to put the screws in the same place on every window. We are using phillips head zip screws because I found the hex head ones get torn up by the socket bit. Now I just need to find a source for buying these in bulk quantities
I'm not sure if they carry the type of screw that you use ,but you can try http://www.boltdepot.com
Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Jim View Post
I'm not sure if they carry the type of screw that you use ,but you can try http://www.boltdepot.com
Yes they do, thanks for the link, Im on a virtual shopping trip there right now
Old 07-02-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors

Screws on the exterior frame not installed by the manufacturer some times voids the waranty. On 60% of the houses we do we buy the J chanel trim installed by the window manufacturer.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #20
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 164

That's one hell of a statistic.

Here's how I like to do it.

http://thecontractorsclub.com/album_...DESC&user_id=2

I hate inserts. I'll do them but try to stay away from window work. It's a blood bath around here.

Advertisement