Replacing Entry With Pre-hung Door: Stucco Implications? - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Replacing Entry With Pre-hung Door: Stucco Implications?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #1

Trade: Multi-family Remodeling
Rewards Points: 20

Replacing Entry With Pre-hung Door: Stucco Implications?

We are replacing the entry doors of a rental property that has a stucco exterior. The doors we are using are pre-hung. An Inspector will be involved.

The Inspector says that if we break stucco to replace the door frame that he will need to see the tie into the moisture barrier and the wire mesh for the stucco patch and any framing that was done.

Our Contractor balked at this saying no no no, its a simple remove and replace, all of that is overkill.

We are looking for some clarification about what exactly is entailed when using pre-hung doors to replace existing ones. The attached pic shows our current door setup. We know that A, B, and C will obviously be replaced as they are by definition part of the the pre-hung door, but what about D, E, and F?

Our interpretation of what the Inspector is saying is that if the stucco (G) is broken to remove F, then what he says is necessary. We do not see how the job could be done right without replacing A-F.

To be clear, we err on the side of doing everything necessary to ensure a long lasting water seal.

What is our best course forward? What do we need to know? What should we expect from our contractor?
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing entry with Pre-hung door: Stucco implications?-current-stucco-frame-door-labeled.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,272

Re: Replacing Entry With Pre-hung Door: Stucco Implications?

You cali guys need inspections for door replacements?

E is part of the jamb, F looks like it acts as brick molding. Does the stucco go right to F, or is there a caulk joint? Buzzing between the 2 with a multi tool should help prevent the stucco from breaking

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rblakes1 For This Useful Post:
JeffS1 (02-06-2019), TimNJ (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 672

you didn`t say if you ordered the doors and frame yet.
if not , make sure and do good measuring , and order the new set 1/4 or 1/2 inch smaller, so you know you won`t have to go any wider. that way you wont disrupt the stucco.
also, your carpenter or contractor needs to know how to remove a door , and frame without disrupting the stucco.
i see allot of guys removing doors and windows, where the try to remove the whole door and frame , or window as a whole .
as for the door , they need to take the door off first , by removing the hinge pins , or unscrewing the hinges .
then they need to strategically cutting the frame up with power saw or sawzall , so you can collapse the frame inward , so you don't damage the stucco.
same thing with windows
i cut those suckers apart with a metal cutting blade, , as opposed to slamming them out ,that way i don`t have to do much , if any stucco work
The Following User Says Thank You to woodspike For This Useful Post:
JeffS1 (02-06-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,840

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblakes1 View Post
You cali guys need inspections for door replacements?

E is part of the jamb, F looks like it acts as brick molding. Does the stucco go right to F, or is there a caulk joint? Buzzing between the 2 with a multi tool should help prevent the stucco from breaking

Run your Sawzall down the joint between E and F and cut all the nails.
Old jamb pulls out from the inside and new jamb gets installed from the inside so F stays in place.
JeffS1 (02-06-2019), knucklehead (02-06-2019), rblakes1 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #5

It is part of a larger permit that includes windows and electrical upgrades, but yes the area where the building is is particular about appearance changes to exterior things including doors.

We do not see obvious signs that it was caulked. Here is a closeup straight-on view of the edge.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing entry with Pre-hung door: Stucco implications?-f-gs.jpg  
Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

Yes, woodspike, the doors are ordered. This is literally starting tomorrow. Your removal method seems sound. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 834

That trim should be able to be removed without damage to the stucco. I've done that so many times......when replacing the trim I put a good bead of poly between the trim and stucco, seals that up quite well instead of that gap that's there now.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 2,716

Only thing I can add is there may be some L bent flashing nailed to the outer edge of the trim.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Run your Sawzall down the joint between E and F and cut all the nails.
Old jamb pulls out from the inside and new jamb gets installed from the inside so F stays in place.
That was the other option I was thinking of

Advertisement