Reframing Windows - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Reframing Windows

Old 09-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 300

Reframing Windows

Iím gut renovating a 3 family home and currently working on the 3rd (Top) floor. The building is vinyl siding which covers the original wood siding (I think). There is some styrofoam insulation wedged in between. Building was built in 1920.

There are a total of 7 windows on the 3rd floor; all 72Ē tall with widths ranging from 26" - 32Ē. The current windows are all vinyl windows that are falling apart. The current windows replaced the buildingís original windows. It seems that when the vinyl siding went up the contractor reduced the window sizes. Thereís a bunch of random/junk filler wood attached to the original jack studs. Flooring planks, ripped down 2x4s etc. I can see the big old metal window weights along a few the jambs.

All the old plaster / lathe walls are pulled out and new metal stud framing is going up.

I pulled most of the crappy jamb spacing out. There are a few pieces left in my pic. I can see the old header was was an arch type header. The old sill was in such bad shape i ripped it out. I need to replace that.

Iíd like to increase the window sizes - bigger than the vinyl windows, but smaller than the jack stud spacing dictates. iíve done some reading on the topic. But Iíve never done this before and Iíve got some questionsÖ. I don't have access from the outside. Working from the inside.

1. After I remove the remaining filler wood, how should I cut back the old wood siding, styrofoam insulation, and vinyl siding to my desired window size? Recip saw seems too sloppy, oscillating multitool too tedious. No room for a circular saw since Iím working from the inside.

2. When reframing the new opening, should I use 2x10 lumber and come flush to the inner edge of the metal stud. Or do I use a 2x8 and rip to ~6 3/8Ē and come flush to the outer edge of the metal stud. See pic with the tape measure.

3. Do I need to rip and install exterior blind stops?

4. What is the best way to water seal the sill and jambs? I know replacing the vinyl siding and the windows at the same time is ideal, but unfortunately thatís not in the cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,418

Re: Reframing Windows

Looks like you got a dandy there. If you don't have access to the outside how do you plan on properly sealing and finishing the outsides? I would frame it and treat this as new construction install of the windows. The framing should go all the way from where outside sheeting for the nail fin will be to the edge of where the sheetrock will be. flashing and sealing will be easy to do then. I would suggest you find someone that has done this before to at least help you on the first on.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
greg24k (09-13-2019), RookiePlumber (09-05-2019), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #3
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,066

Anybody got a 10 ft pole?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-05-2019), Randy Bush (09-05-2019), ScipioAfricanus (09-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 08:40 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Ah come on John that is a walk in the park to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
Would an 11 foot Russian be O.K?

Andy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
greg24k (09-15-2019), Idothat (09-05-2019), Rio (09-05-2019), SmallTownGuy (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,868

Circ saw cut from the outside.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,842

You need to get it from the outside. Like Randy said how will you seal and install the windows. How will you repair the vinyl siding and put j channel around them and then seal that.

Not very feasible from the inside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
RookiePlumber (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 4,066

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post
Would an 11 foot Russian be O.K?

Andy.
Well, I suppose. Does he speak a little polish tho?
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
Pro

From what Iíve read I know itís a simultaneous job - window replacement and vinyl siding cutting / resizing should occur together to properly seal the house. I could buy an aluminum pump jack system. I will have other uses for it. I ultimately need to replace my siding. I need to go up about 36í. Badger ladder makes a setup I can get for $1500.

So I think my options are :
1. Replace the old vinyl windows with the same size windows from the inside and be done with it.
2. Get the pump jack system, cut back /remove the siding and get a properly installed LARGER window.
3. This one could be stupid, (I realize Iím opening myself to more heckling)Ö. Install a larger window. So that part of the frame of the window is covered by the vinyl siding / existing window capping. When I get around to replacing the vinyl siding I can properly size the new siding and capping for the larger window.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 146

Doesn't matter what size window you put in, you can't get around getting outside and sealing, flashing, and trimming the window out.

Have you looked into a boom lift rental?

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Old 09-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 744

Rent some staging while lot cheaper than a boom no where as easy as a boom, a boom for me is about 15 bills a week
Old 09-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,868

If it wasn't for the vinyl siding, I'd suggest wall staging brackets.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 1,118

What kind of pipes are you using?
The Following User Says Thank You to dave_dj1 For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookiePlumber View Post
From what Iíve read I know itís a simultaneous job - window replacement and vinyl siding cutting / resizing should occur together to properly seal the house. I could buy an aluminum pump jack system. I will have other uses for it. I ultimately need to replace my siding. I need to go up about 36í. Badger ladder makes a setup I can get for $1500.

So I think my options are :
1. Replace the old vinyl windows with the same size windows from the inside and be done with it.
2. Get the pump jack system, cut back /remove the siding and get a properly installed LARGER window.
3. This one could be stupid, (I realize Iím opening myself to more heckling)Ö. Install a larger window. So that part of the frame of the window is covered by the vinyl siding / existing window capping. When I get around to replacing the vinyl siding I can properly size the new siding and capping for the larger window.

Options #1 and #2 are not good ones, you will not be done with it, you will more then likely end up with leaks. Pull siding and do it right or you will end up regretting it. Then reinstall the vinyl if you have to.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush;
Options #1 and #2 are not good ones, you will not be done with it, you will more then likely end up with leaks. Pull siding and do it right or you will end up regretting it. Then reinstall the vinyl if you have to.
So I finally got some time to work on this.

I think I'm going to invest in a set of aluminum pump jacks so I can work from the outside as others have suggested. Werner, Alum-a-pole, Titan all make similar products.

In the meantime I replaced the header and sill on a couple windows. Can I use the home's original jack studs? They are 4" deep (actual ). They are plumb and are in good shape.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Reframing windows-img_5929.jpg   Reframing windows-img_5926-1-.jpg   Reframing windows-img_5928-1-.jpg  

Last edited by RookiePlumber; 09-13-2019 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
Pro

Did you replace the header completely or is that piece in the first pic a filler? Is that the width of your window opening or does a 2x get added to each side yet? The original studs are fine as long as you still have a proper header in place and the load is being transferred correctly. Personally I would want wood on all 4 sides of the opening to make fastening trim to easier, I would think steel studs would be a pain for trim.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush;
Did you replace the header completely or is that piece in the first pic a filler? Is that the width of your window opening or does a 2x get added to each side yet? The original studs are fine as long as you still have a proper header in place and the load is being transferred correctly. Personally I would want wood on all 4 sides of the opening to make fastening trim to easier, I would think steel studs would be a pain for trim.
The header (2x10) in the pic is the is filler. It is attached to the original header and the original side jambs (3 1/2 "x4" actual lumber). I didn't make any structural changes.

I'd like to make the last pic my window opening.

Good point on the trim.

I could :

1. replace the metal studs with 2x4's
2. leave the metal studs in place and sheetrock both the wall and the jamb area.
3. leave the metal studs in place and fasten trim with trim head screws.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:05 AM   #18
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,186

I stopped reading when you said you couldn't get to it from the outside. Even if this is your house, do it right and get 2 ladders, ladder jacks, and a plank and setup up your workstation outside to do it right.

the stuff under the vinyl siding is fanfold. you have to get out there to get the flashing right, especially on the top of the new opening. hope you have a brake for bending aluminum for around the opening, it may have it easier when water proofing.
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinDB For This Useful Post:
RookiePlumber (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:19 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDB;
I stopped reading when you said you couldn't get to it from the outside. Even if this is your house, do it right and get 2 ladders, ladder jacks, and a plank and setup up your workstation outside to do it right.

the stuff under the vinyl siding is fanfold. you have to get out there to get the flashing right, especially on the top of the new opening. hope you have a brake for bending aluminum for around the opening, it may have it easier when water proofing.
Yeah as others have suggested, I'm going to work outside to get this right.

In the market for a used aluminum brake.

The building is 39' tall x20' wide. From what i've read (older posts on this forum) aluminum pump jacks are better option than scaffolding.

I didn't know you could use ladder jacks at 35'+ feet. I don't have ladders that tall and tall ones seem to be in the $400+/ each.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookiePlumber View Post
Yeah as others have suggested, I'm going to work outside to get this right.

In the market for a used aluminum brake.

The building is 39' tall x20' wide. From what i've read (older posts on this forum) aluminum pump jacks are better option than scaffolding.

I didn't know you could use ladder jacks at 35'+ feet. I don't have ladders that tall and tall ones seem to be in the $400+/ each.
I have used ladder jacks that high in the past , only because was not able to get my manlift in there. Would not do it again though. Going to get a lot wrapped up in a pump jack system , but would probably be the best route to go. Is there no way to get a manlift on that side of the building?

Advertisement