Pella "Platinum Installer" - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Pella "Platinum Installer"

Old 09-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling, Handyman

Pella "Platinum Installer"

The contractors came and one of my sliding windows was not closing properly. It seemed to be out of square but everything was level. They returned to "make adjustments" when I came home the window closed perfectly however they put shims under the vinyl track leaving a noticeable hump and the track cover does not fully lock in here. Is this acceptable? Anytime I want to clean the track I will essentially have to re shim the window.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4

Re: Pella "Platinum Installer"

Your trade is listed as "Remodeling, Handyman", but this is a homeowner type of question. As a pro, you should be able to answer it for yourself. Do you think it's acceptable?

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 09:03 PM   #3

I have never installed windows and have minimal knowledge on acceptable repairs. With that said I'm confident in saying it is not a proper fix and that most likely the trim should be removed and most likely shimmed that way. However the window was level initially so I'm un sure of cause l, sagging ? Idk.

Last edited by KinRenos; 09-10-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 4

If the surrounding structure is solid and hasn't changed since installation, it would seem likely that there's a problem with either the window itself or how it was installed. Nobody makes money on a callback, so the tendency is to do just enough to make it work.

Up to you whether to make an issue of it.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #5

Lol, yea well my take on it is do it correctly the first time and you won't get called back. I have higher expectations for 3200 in 3 windows, I expect them to work properly without having to be "rigged" for functionality.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,862

Just because the bottom is level, does not mean the window was installed square. Pull some diagonals on it, or check square with a framing square.

Also, if it's a vinyl window, it could have been built so far out of square that there is no hope of getting it both square and operational.

Sometimes these windows are ordered in a size that doesn't necessarily fit into the framed opening, esp if the framed opening is less than ideal. So installers will wedge window into opening any way they can and then shim and wedge whatever they can to make the window functional. That could be due to window guy not being good at measuring, or due to framing that was never good to begin with, or framing that has gone catty wampus from the house settling.

Advertisement