Need Help With An Anderson 3000 Series Storm Door. - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Need Help With An Anderson 3000 Series Storm Door.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Need Help With An Anderson 3000 Series Storm Door.

I went on a service call today. The client can't figure out how to operate the retractable screen and storm panels. They had their "guy" do the install then called us. I took a look today and it makes no sense to me. We rarely install Anderson products, but it appears everything (panels) is inside out....

Generally, I can figure out how to operate and or disassemble things, but in my experience Anderson doors are tricky. I know some guys love them, but I've never had much luck. No one was home so I don't have the manual. I monkeyed around for about a half hour and decided to do a little research and try again tomorrow.

I have a screen on top that is on a spool like a window shade, and two glass panels inside/outside on the bottom. Nothing moves. There are no apparent finger levers and the removable label is between the glass which tells me they are backwards.

How do I get the panels out? I removed a few face screws, and the cap piece, but nothing.... Do I have to remove the door and take the frame apart?

The label didn't indicate what model, but from the website I think it is a 3000 series. I did get the #800 along with the #serial to call support, but I'm hoping someone at CT can send me in the right direction.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Re: Need Help With An Anderson 3000 Series Storm Door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
There are no apparent finger levers and the removable label is between the glass which tells me they are backwards.
I'd guess the label is on the movable sash, and when it is raised will be accessible. I haven't worked on an Andersen, but the doors that I have usually have the sash latch in the center, where you actuate it by grabbing the window handle.

Had a look at this PDF, and of course it doesn't show how the window handle is installed. That's a separate set of instructions.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
WNYcarpenter (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I'd guess the label is on the movable sash, and when it is raised will be accessible. I haven't worked on an Andersen, but the doors that I have usually have the sash latch in the center, where you actuate it by grabbing the window handle.

Had a look at this PDF, and of course it doesn't show how the window handle is installed. That's a separate set of instructions.
Thanks Tin, I'll take a look!
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

If you have some pictures, I may be able to tell you. I've installed a fair share of them, and they have been relatively the same for awhile.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

there should be a plastic latch on the top center on inside lite
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

The last few I installed were full glass with a removable screen/storm panel. In order to remove them, you had to lift the door lever to the straight up position to release the mechanism that keeps them in position. It's worth a try.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 08-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Pro

he has a self storing with the rolling screen Riz
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post
If you have some pictures, I may be able to tell you. I've installed a fair share of them, and they have been relatively the same for awhile.
It's a funny thing. I really want to get my hands on the manual, at the same time I don't want the HOer to question my competence either. I should have taken pictures!!!! The way it is going, this could be the most expensive storm door install ever!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
wannabe

I'm humbled by the attention here..... Tin, Kent, Tom, Lone:

seriously though, how are these generally assembled? Is it a kit you piece together like the sliders or do the storm doors come pre-assembled. That would answer a lot of questions. I can take it apart, but i don't want to if it's not necessary.

I already contacted our local yard and I can call in service (out of town), but I'm a bit worried about where I draw the line as to where I stop effing around and get some one there to fix it.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
he has a self storing with the rolling screen Riz
Just thinking the same function would hold the operating glass panel in either position.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

All the ones I have had delivered come in boxes and you must put it together.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Capra aegagrus

Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
seriously though, how are these generally assembled?
You have to build the frame, but the door "slab" itself is completely assembled except for latches and handles. Sashes and screens (for this type) are already in the slab. That's why I poo-pooed the idea that the sashes were in backward.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
KemoSabe

Quote:
I'm humbled by the attention here..... Tin, Kent, Tom, Lone:

seriously though, how are these generally assembled? Is it a kit you piece together like the sliders or do the storm doors come pre-assembled. That would answer a lot of questions. I can take it apart, but i don't want to if it's not necessary.

I already contacted our local yard and I can call in service (out of town), but I'm a bit worried about where I draw the line as to where I stop effing around and get some one there to fix it.
The ones I installed, the door panel is preassembled. You need to attach the hinge jamb to it. Then set the door and use the door to set the margin on the head and latch jamb. Always check for square on the head jamb first.

The handle is a separate set of instructions and will probably confuse the hell out of you the first time.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
The last few I installed were full glass with a removable screen/storm panel. In order to remove them, you had to lift the door lever to the straight up position to release the mechanism that keeps them in position. It's worth a try.
yes, the handle has an upward position that is obvious, I'm quite sure I experimented with this, but it's good to know! thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #15
wannabe

I know I look like an ahole right now, but it's not my first day at the rodeo... I'm encouraged that there is an easy fix, but I'm pretty sure something is F'ed up. Either me, the door, or the installer. I guess we'll find out soon enough! I'm very curious to see. I hope I'm just missing something, it will make my day! Thank you fellas!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Pro

thats a wood core blank with a big hole cut into it for the glass channel insert,you can't take the door apart,the top glass frame clips to the roll screen at the top,try unclipping from the screen
Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: really?, Contractor Talk is for "Professionals"?
Rewards Points: 424

They call "their guy" to install who didn't show them the proper operation of the door, then call "not their guy" to show them the proper operation of the door.

and you're confused about the retractable screen?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranteso View Post
They call "their guy" to install who didn't show them the proper operation of the door, then call "not their guy" to show them the proper operation of the door.

and you're confused about the retractable screen?
close but, nope. We've been the family contractor for years. The original HOer turned control over to her son this summer. He went went with a friend of the cleaner. Well, when he realized he made a mistake they came crawling back. We never would have gone with an Andersen door to begin with. I'm picking up the pieces. Happens quite a bit actually. Nice try.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,494

I have had to change out broken Larson's but not an Andersen yet.
If the window is down, meaning the screen is open, and it won't go back up, the spring inside the screen tube broke or came unwound.

Usually the only fix is to replace the screen/spring as one piece.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
wannabe

well, I went back today. I spent another 1/2 hr or so fiddling around, took a couple pics, and I still didn't make any progress. I'm not even going to post time to this job, I was just curious whether or not I was missing something after last night's discussion.

The system makes more sense to me, I understand how it is supposed to work, it just doesn't. The inner panel seems to be hung up. Also, I see that once the inner glass panel is raised and the screen retracts I can remove the label.

I probably won't waste any more time, I'll just call service and let the HOer deal with the warranty issue. We didn't purchase the door or install it so it really isn't our responsibility at this point.... that is, unless someone here sees an obvious solution I'm over looking. I can't justify spending any more time on it.

So, here are some pics for your viewing pleasure.....
Need help with an Anderson 3000 series storm door.-photo-1.jpg

Need help with an Anderson 3000 series storm door.-photo-2.jpg

Need help with an Anderson 3000 series storm door.-photo-3.jpg

Advertisement