Maxi Plank - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Maxi Plank

Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Trade: deks & siding
Rewards Points: 10

Maxi Plank

anybody having problems with maxi-plank siding I sided a house followed the insallation instructions and the joints pucker out even broke the panel above it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Exterior Finishing
Rewards Points: 152

Re: Maxi Plank

I just started using Maxi plank about 4-5 houses ago. I prefer it to certainteed because of shrinkage certainteed products have. I have had no problems like the one's you mentioned. I find it a much better alternative to Hardie as the waste factor is hard put to builders and HO's in this dog eat dog economy.

You mention 'puckering,' does that refer to the ends flaring out? I haven't seen this except at a development in town which another company sided, and at almost every joint (Hardie), they pin the crap out of them at the bottom of the sheet.

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 10,314

That was the first FC panel I ever installed. Spent 8 months installing on a large apartment complex. It was about 16 years ago. I went back a few years later and it had all shrunk and looked like ass.

We had panels in the same pallet that you could drop from 3 feet and they would shatter like glass and then you could drop one from 3 stories up and it would hit the ground and bend like a noodle.

To be fair, it was the early days of FC, but it sure didn't make me want to use it again. Sounds like you got what you paid for.

"I find it a much better alternative to Hardie as the waste factor is hard put to builders and HO's in this dog eat dog economy." I haven't used or priced it out, but if it is cheaper than Hardi, there must be a reason.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Finishing
Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
I haven't used or priced it out, but if it is cheaper than Hardi, there must be a reason.
Hardie stamps their product at the top of their sheets with a 'nail line.' So there is more inherent waste due to not being able to use some of your cutoffs. Small jobs it isn't such a big deal, but on large jobs it can be considerable. Also it can be annoying when cutting long angles for gables and not being able to flip your cutoff and start the next row with it. Twice as many cuts .
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #5

Trade: deks & siding
Rewards Points: 10

The flaring out at the joints is driving me crazy, I'm face nailing the next house. I haven't had a problem with hardie, but your right about the waste. In the Maxi instructions it says if you blind nail it do not face nail the joints.