LP Smart Siding - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

LP Smart Siding

Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

LP Smart Siding

If you have ever used this type of siding please do tell me what you think of it. LP SMART SIDING. Never used it before but seems like a glorified plywood with a wood grain painted on it. what are your thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Extraordinary Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,728

Re: LP Smart Siding

It ain't plywood. It is OSB

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to knucklehead For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (12-09-2012)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

i've heard good things about it,but i think you need to follow some type of install instructions
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Commercial Exteriors & Multi Family Remodel
Rewards Points: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
If you have ever used this type of siding please do tell me what you think of it. LP SMART SIDING. Never used it before but seems like a glorified plywood with a wood grain painted on it. what are your thoughts?

Anymore questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock16 For This Useful Post:
buddy110 (08-17-2011), Tom Struble (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

what are we looking at here rock?surface mold?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
what are we looking at here rock?surface mold?
If you could look up at the siding you would see it is delaminating and full of mold. You can see the clean lines that show where the studs are. The siding is rotten full depth between the studs. I think that this happening between the studs indicates that the moisture traveling from inside to the outside of the structure is enough to rot it.
This is common in all Hardboard type sidings. I know that the manufacturers claim the new generation of products does not do this but I just finished a R&R of new stuff that was doing the same thing.
Almost all of our renovation business is replacing this junk.

The house is framed 24oc singlewall construction. This crap is cheap and has the same shear value as 7/16 osb so the cheapo builders love it. Siding and Sheeting all in one.

Oh well it pays the bills.

Last edited by rock16; 07-29-2011 at 09:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rock16 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-29-2011)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,980

Look at the bright side of guys using it , job security replacing the junk.
Had a sales rep tell that it was good stuff and all the problems where taken care of , think he was going to try and sell me the Brooklyn bridge too.

Last edited by Randy Bush; 07-30-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,532

Throw it in a bucket of water and see if it is fixed. Fool me once... All the tract homes around here are still using it. I figure I will get to replace it in about 5 or 6 years.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #9
Pro

We have been putting it on for the last few days and comes down to a lot of labor. namely caulking. have to have 3/16 gap on each end and caulk. go through a lot of tubes of caulk for this crap. and it is gauranteed for i think 7 years. Also if it is not installed properly more or less of the 3/ 16 then the warranty is voided. This stuff is kind of shady to me. but what ever the homeowner wants right. thanks for the thoughts fellas.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
We have been putting it on for the last few days and comes down to a lot of labor. namely caulking. have to have 3/16 gap on each end and caulk. go through a lot of tubes of caulk for this crap. and it is gauranteed for i think 7 years. Also if it is not installed properly more or less of the 3/ 16 then the warranty is voided. This stuff is kind of shady to me. but what ever the homeowner wants right. thanks for the thoughts fellas.
Don't they sell joint covers in your area for the stuff? That 3/16 will easily grow wider and the customer will be calling you to come back and recaulk it.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Don't they sell joint covers in your area for the stuff? That 3/16 will easily grow wider and the customer will be calling you to come back and recaulk it.
at the joints yes it comes with the little joint clips. but im talking at the ends at either corners or trim.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
It ain't plywood. It is OSB
potato potato you know what i meant
Old 07-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,134

We have replaced to large nice homes that had it on them.siding was Rot and mush...but they had full wall sheathing and housewrap so there were only a couple of bad spots behind...now we are having fiber cement start to fail that we installed 7 years ago...not due to installation. Thinking tried and true cedar or high quality vinyl is safest....
Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Custom Builder

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

The new LP smartside has a 50 year warranty, better than the fiber cement companies. The old stuff was junk, alot of the problems with any siding is lack of maintenance. Im siding my personal house with it right now (had a warranty claim on certain teed that was only a few weeks old) and the out side corners are mitered, the rep said just prime the ends and all cuts and the warranty is still intact. So far im really happy with it, alot easier to work with that fiber cement and it does not have the movement in the boards that fiber cement has.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (12-09-2012), Tom Struble (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
The new LP smartside has a 50 year warranty, better than the fiber cement companies. The old stuff was junk, alot of the problems with any siding is lack of maintenance. Im siding my personal house with it right now (had a warranty claim on certain teed that was only a few weeks old) and the out side corners are mitered, the rep said just prime the ends and all cuts and the warranty is still intact. So far im really happy with it, alot easier to work with that fiber cement and it does not have the movement in the boards that fiber cement has.
Better warranty how? Not being a smart a**...really would like to know. The Certainteed cement fiber we installed 7 years ago had a 50 yr. Warranty...2 yr full coverage then material only prorated after that...
Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
Custom Builder

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Certainteed does have a 50 yr warranty also, Ive just had alot of problems with certainteed shrinking and expanding at the joints sometimes over 3/4" The Lp moves very little especially in the field. The material is 16' so there are also lees field joints.

Plus this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_0g...er_profilepage
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
Always Learning

The shrinkage issue is what we are facing now as well. I guess I would feel better if it was made with an Advantech core instead of LP which had this product fail horribly before...but I do like the weight and install techniques better...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 10

I have done my personal house and2 others have not had any issues yet other than a ****ty factory paint job, i have been keeping a close eye on my house i was very nervous with this product. It been 3 yrs now and no issues very minimal expanision
Old 08-09-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Rewards Points: 11,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Certainteed does have a 50 yr warranty also, Ive just had alot of problems with certainteed shrinking and expanding at the joints sometimes over 3/4" The Lp moves very little especially in the field. The material is 16' so there are also lees field joints.

Plus this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_0g...er_profilepage
We stopped using Weatherboards a couple of years ago. At one time it seemed like a great product. We were one of the largest installers in the state, and ran a ton of the stuff. We started having problems around 2007-2008. We did a job and painted it during the dry weeks of December like we had done for years. Within 3 months, it had shrunk 1/4 inch and had no thoughts on stopping. Of course, it was on a dark colored house and we ended up with white lines at every joint. The next year we had the same thing happen, but this was installed during the summer. After a few months, we had shrinkage, and the same problem.

Soon after that we had our top residential crew install a house and within a month, all the siding started to drop and shrink and twist. We had corners that had gaps that were over an inch wide. The homeowners called Certainteed and they blamed us of course. It most definitely wasn't us. We worked with the home owner and Certainteed for nearly a year before Certainteed took the blame. Then they only replaced the siding and we had to foot the install. Odd thing was we didn't have the same problem on the big jobs, only on the jobs we ordered small amounts. If you have ever been to the plant on Medford, the stuff sits out in the weather, and I am wondering if that has anything to do with it.

This is after years of buying their product by the truckload. We had more in stock than any of the supply houses, and that was just in our yard, not including what was on jobsites. We ended up tossing and giving away pallets and pallets of the stuff. That was the last time we used them, we went back to Hardi and had no problems. It is telling, that Certainteed dropped their previous manufacturing process and went back to copying Hardi, IIRC.

On a not really related tangent, we also ran a lot of the Certainteed vinyl siding. One house we had to do twice, and then go FC, because the Barn Red siding melted. First they said it was because there must be a wood stove in the house, there wasn't. Then they said it must be because a window across the street was shining on it and melting it. They replaced the siding the first time saying that they had just improved it. After it melted again, they told us that they had sent the old stuff.

Anyway, to get back to LP. It is funny how you like to use it compared to FC. One of our old sub crews that I still keep in touch with, has been installing a lot of it on tract homes and they can't stand it. They say it makes too much sawdust. They are usually 100% FC installers. I think they are allergic to wood.
The Following User Says Thank You to VinylHanger For This Useful Post:
[email protected] (08-12-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
We stopped using Weatherboards a couple of years ago. :
Funny I looked at a house yesterday that was installed in 2004 with weatherboards and the shrinkage is terrible. First time I have seen it in FC. I get to replace it in a couple of weeks.
We gave up on weatherboards a couple of years ago because I needed the rep to come look at a warranty situation an a condo building. I couldn't even get them to show up to look at it. It was not lap siding but the panel siding. That made me really mad after I had purchased about 2500 SQ of the stuff that year.
The builder and I split the cost of repair just to make it right for the unit owners. I haven't bought a weatherboard since.
I do still think Certainteed makes the best Vinyl siding without question.

Advertisement