Hardie Shingle Install On A Radius Wall - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Hardie Shingle Install On A Radius Wall

Old 07-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Exterior Finishing
Rewards Points: 152

Hardie Shingle Install On A Radius Wall

I have this project where there are a couple radius walls (quite small radius). Being that the whole house is Hardie shakes (in panels), I'm having a hard time getting the shakes to lay flat (or somewhat flat) on each row of shake.

Has anyone ran into an install like this? Obviously If it were plank siding it would be easy to bend the sheet around the curve; or if we were just capping it to look like a post I could probably make relieve cuts in material to wrap it around.

I'd love to hear some ideas, the client wants shakes on them but if it can't work I'll just trim it.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the walls up.
The Following User Says Thank You to rojigga For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-16-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Re: Hardie Shingle Install On A Radius Wall

I can't even get the panels to lay flat on a flat wall

Advertisement

griz (07-16-2013), superseal (07-16-2013), tenon0774 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
I can't even get the panels to lay flat on a flat wall
I just saw your thread about that after I posted mine. I find with Hardie's new(ish) composition, the material is relatively malleable. So when I have stubborn pieces, I use a 18g brad nailer to suck them tight. Over time, the pieces will conform to that shape before the nail holding them tight will fail. With it being 18g, you can only see the head if you're really close, and if you can flush nail properly, no countersink holes that catch the eye's attention. On final rows, I PL the pieces and brad nail the crap out of them. In 10 years I've had no issues (knock on wood.)
The Following User Says Thank You to rojigga For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 164

I would cut them into thirds or maybe into individual shakes. Just gap them the width of the saw blade.
The Following User Says Thank You to thesidingpro For This Useful Post:
griz (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Alternatively Create strapping system that will make work your siding with the wall .....
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesidingpro View Post
I would cut them into thirds or maybe into individual shakes. Just gap them the width of the saw blade.
We've tried that, and also tried using just one size (smallest) and still flares out too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAY View Post
Alternatively Create strapping system that will make work your siding with the wall .....
These little walls are more like walls that end in a quarter circle round end. The radius is probably 2'-3'.

Here's a snap of front elevation. The curves are on skirt roof, two on the left, and the two above the front door:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...%2520House.jpg
Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #7

I understand your radius is near two windows on the second floor,....... make clear indication ..... and a detail shot with the camera and a big framing square... to see your curve

it seams you have a special case and you need to make 90 with a radius that siding does not allow .... Special case would need some special methods: it either you modifying your wall or your siding material

1) changing the material would be most adequate to make work done

a) Try to push the material to the limit , fiber cement fibrous material and can bent to some extent, check if you are within that limit ... look at what point it cracks and brakes and how much you would need to complete the curve

fiber cement is rigid material and is hard to bent ... you can cut it in individual tabs, but your need to cut it even smaller then individual tabs.... cut it smaller find the size you need that would allow you to finish your curve .... now every manufacturer of fiber cement have some accessories... go thorough what you could use in the size you got...
The finished look is not going to be exactly seamless but you will make your curve .... so you will have to advertise it as a special future .....use your artistic side to make it

2) remaking the wall: You cant take and cut the wall to increase your radius so that your piece fits,.... but you can square it up(fur the wall )..... put two pieces of pressure treated wood so they extend above your curve from both sides of the wall cut them in place and you have your regular corner.... (use sheeting for more adequate support...)

If the steps above did not work there is one more way.... you need to find material that have high modulus of elasticity otherwise flexible... something like rubber... apply it to the back of of your piece with strong glue ....and now you should be able to bend your fiber cement more without braking it or making cracks .... test it out, it should bend a lot better ...... now you just will have to find the right micro-backing...... now not every material will work it is the trial and error path.....

Best regards

Last edited by JKAY; 07-17-2013 at 09:02 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JKAY For This Useful Post:
rojigga (07-17-2013), Tom Struble (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Cool looking house... You don't see many widow's walks these days..,

I wonder if you could steam the hardie to make it bend.. It would probably delaminate though.

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to TimelessQuality For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Pro

Thanks JKAY for your input, the details are there for looks, the client knows what they want and that is why the architect did what he did. Therefor changing the wall is out of the question.

I did mention wetting the product to achieve the bend and then drying completely before repainting but they don't want to do that in fear of having issues later (even though soaking the product and drying before painting is how the product is made).

I just though of trying to cut the individual shakes with a small angled cut to both sides above the next row's exposure line to lose material that would bump out the next row; sort of like a witch's hat, starting about 8" from the bottom of the shake. I might give that a try tomorrow.

Here is a few pics with circles of where the issues lie:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-d...useCircled.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-F...se2Circled.jpg
Old 07-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Pro

Rewards Points: 20

maybe contact Hardie?
WarnerConstInc. (07-21-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

I case of your clients know what they want and can afford it Advise of Tom is really good , making a custom curved piece would be a matter of poring the form and painting it in the right color Hardy have both the mix and color and you can obtain curve radius or make a stencil ....

I am sure manufacturer would be interested in your case....

Of course that would be time consuming waiting for special order then price for the pieces will be high but if customers wants and can afford....

For future reference many people would interested in an outcome....

PS Hardy can say "no" as well, but the last you do not lose anything.... and if good you have a happy customer...

Last edited by JKAY; 07-17-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Sophisticated Siding Guy.

Trade: Roofing, Siding, Windows, Decks, and more!
Rewards Points: 164

I would look for an alternate material that would look the same once finished. Get a sheet of 1/4" PVC or something that would allow a flex.

Here is a job I did a few years back that required some radius walls. We used fibercement on the straight balconies and custom made the PVC to copy that look on the radius's.

http://thecontractorsclub.com/galler...vc-sheet-goods
Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #13

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 10

Just an idea, but try putting some relief cuts in the back of each piece, maybe cut 3/4's of the way through each piece in half a dozen spots. It might help make the shakes a bit more flexible.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #14

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 14

From their web site : " HardieShingle individual shingles come in a selection of widths for an authentic handcrafted look and are also ideal for smaller coverage areas."
Just individual hand shingle those complete areas. Cut the individual shingles smaller if needed.
I hate shingle siding. Every bug in the neighborhood will make it their home. Ever removed some? You will know what I mean.

Advertisement