Hardi Fiber Cement Fastening Air Tool - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Hardi Fiber Cement Fastening Air Tool

Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
904sorock

Trade: General Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Hardi Fiber Cement Fastening Air Tool

Just wondering what you siding pros use to install fiber cement siding. I just submitted a bid for siding job and was accepted. Since I do not own a siding air nailer I was thinking of either using my roofing nailer or my framing nailer. What do you guy think . I would hate to invest in siding nailer for 1 time job. Thanks SM

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 512

Re: Hardi Fiber Cement Fastening Air Tool

read the manual

roof nailer is just fine..

two of my guys use a roofing nailer and two use a siding nailer

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to guardian For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,220

I won't put the stuff on , but I have been told by other guys that do, that you need a gun that fires fast. A slow one , older framers , cause problems. Mainly with Certaintee brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,708

Read the install manual for your area, it's on hardis website. Used to be 1 1/4" roofing nails were ok, now I think 1 3/4" is required.

I use a Hitachi siding gun. I know it's $$$, but you can use it for your corner/window trim, face nails, etc.

You need some kind of nailer (framing gun will work with HDG) for the odd face nail, other wise you will be pre-drilling.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
pro

Trade: Capenter/ Remodeler
Rewards Points: 768

Roofing gun works as people said check manufacture specs.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

we use siding guns..when their not used for siding their used for underlay
Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 150

We use Senco siding nailer. It can be used for fencing also. I have used roofing and framing guns. I prefer siding gun because you can use it for siding and trim. I like that the nails are the right diameter as well as length to support manufactures warranties. Also the gun is lighter than my framing nailer. Also the nails have a full head. I believe most fiber cement manufactures will not warrant a clipped head install.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
pro

Trade: residential/framer
Rewards Points: 326

we use roofing gun or hitachi siding nailer as long as its covered in the warannty specs
Old 01-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

We also use either a roofing gun or a siding nailer.

I like the siding nailer because it shoots longer ring shank nails. I like the roofing nailer because the head is larger.

I want a combination of the 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to redwood For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (01-19-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
trim carpenter/remodeler

Trade: trim carpenter/remodeler
Rewards Points: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Murrill View Post
We use Senco siding nailer. It can be used for fencing also. I have used roofing and framing guns. I prefer siding gun because you can use it for siding and trim. I like that the nails are the right diameter as well as length to support manufactures warranties. Also the gun is lighter than my framing nailer. Also the nails have a full head. I believe most fiber cement manufactures will not warrant a clipped head install.
I have always used a roofing nailer. Obviously that is for blind nailing the siding. I was told by my sales rep that for fastening the OSC together, as well as nailing it up, Hardi recommends using 15ga Galv nails. T"hat info was about 2-3 years old so it might have changed too. I was on a job that had plywood sheathing and either one or two layers of 5/8" exterior drywall for fire rating. 1 3/4" coil nails were too small for the siding. This job was Certainteed Weatherboard siding. I researched the best options from manufacture specs. According to what I read, full headed framing nails would be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 413Sean View Post
we use roofing gun or hitachi siding nailer as long as its covered in the warannty specs
I used a Hitachi siding nailer on a cedar job last year. I loved the idea of it, but had soooo many jambs because of the way the nails are collated. Next job, I will use these instead:

http://www.abccatalog.com/view_produ...uct=9834271298

Not necessarily that exact nail, bu tyou get the idea. Yeah, the framing nailer is heavier, but the nails probably will not jamb. Also, one less tool to buy/carry around.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
GARRETT RENOVATIONS LLC

Trade: GC,Builder,Custom Renovations

roofing nailer if you have one already but if you are going to do more than 1 job invest in the hitachi siding nailer it is sweet!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Exterior Finishing
Rewards Points: 152

I hear siding installers have guns to fasten siding properly. Maybe get one of them to install it. Or just bid on jobs in which you can professional finish without needing to ask questions HO ask.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

thats not fair,everybody starts somewhere, better guys than you and me put together have asked this kind of question...it's kinda why this site works,but you gotta be willing to play
GRB (01-23-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
904sorock

Rojigga in case you havent figured it out , this is the whole purpose of this forum, to ask questions! Correct me if im wrong but I dont believe you know it all even in your trade!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
thats not fair,everybody starts somewhere, better guys than you and me put together have asked this kind of question...it's kinda why this site works,but you gotta be willing to play
I think it's entirely fair, although I do agree with your statement of everybody needing to start somewhere. I believe in asking for help, but bidding on something you have no idea how to complete is something entirely different. This is why the price of jobs continue to decline and why there are so many shoddy installs being done.

If you want to learn a new trade, ask someone to show you. If no one is hiring, ask to shadow someone. I'm no plumber, electrician, or HVAC guy; I couldn't imagine bidding one of those jobs, or even thinking about winning it.

I see this happening more and more, everyone wanting to expand their scope of work to stay busy; but unless you know you can do it properly, it is irresponsible to claim you can.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904sorock View Post
Rojigga in case you havent figured it out , this is the whole purpose of this forum, to ask questions! Correct me if im wrong but I dont believe you know it all even in your trade!
I don't know everything in my trade! I learn or try to learn something new everyday! But unless I can complete a project properly I'm not bidding on it. You don't even know how to fasten the very material you're quoting, which by the way is the easy part- there are instructions that come with it! How can I expect you to know some of the more complex things like building envelope? What you are doing is completely irresponsible, and why I believe there needs to be more regulation/inspection like you see in other trades.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #17
904sorock

you just cant compare a siding installation to plumbing electrical hvac, Anybody with carpentry skills can put up siding with good results, homeowners do it themselves all the time.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #18
904sorock

Please explaing to me what is so difficult about installing siding even with half a brain.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #19
904sorock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojigga View Post
I don't know everything in my trade! I learn or try to learn something new everyday! But unless I can complete a project properly I'm not bidding on it. You don't even know how to fasten the very material you're quoting, which by the way is the easy part- there are instructions that come with it! How can I expect you to know some of the more complex things like building envelope? What you are doing is completely irresponsible, and why I believe there needs to be more regulation/inspection like you see in other trades.
So you are learning on the job!!! huh
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904sorock View Post
Please explaing to me what is so difficult about installing siding even with half a brain.
Yes as you say anyone can install siding who has half a brain. Although I'd be concerned about this half brained person installing membrane properly, installing flashing properly, venting when needed properly, and many, many other areas a lot of people don't really understand is all part of our job. My point wasn't to point out your ineptitude, rather that someone who obviously knows very little or nothing at all about a trade should not be undertaking the job.

If there wasn't a water issue, and it were purely cosmetic, I would say go to town, and I would recommend just about any coil nailer that can shoot 2" galvanized nails.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-NV65AH...7384094&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/CN565S-4-Inch-...7384119&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Bostitch-N66C-...7384140&sr=1-1

I highly recommend The Max.

Advertisement