Drafty Aluminium Exterior Doors - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Drafty Aluminium Exterior Doors

Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Home Renovations & Repairs
Rewards Points: 252

Drafty Aluminium Exterior Doors

One of my clients (a commercial space) has a problem with the aluminium/glass doors that form the entry to their waiting room ... there is a gap of approx 4mm where the 2 doors meet. The doors came with a standard weather strip (the very short carpet type material) which is totally insufficient in this case; we get a lot of wind & rain. I have not managed to find a product suitable for aluminium doors (only white or brown available locally and only for single door use ie. where one door shuts against a door casing as opposed to up against another door - french door style).
The doors have a small channel running the height in to which the existing weather strip slots ... so ideally looking for something 'meatier' that can be substituted. Anyone recommend a brand or store (in Vancouver area) so I can focus my search? Local stores are useless when it comes to anything beyond the basics.

Many thanks.

[yes I know I said 'aluminium' but I'm British and I still say 'pavement', 'boot', and ... 'aluminium ;-) ]

Last edited by Bonzai; 01-04-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention ...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
slave driver

Trade: project manager commercial contract glazier
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Drafty Aluminium Exterior Doors

This weatherstrip is called an astragal and depending on the manufacturer is available in longer pile. check on the exterior lower face of the door to see if a manufactures nameplate is affixed to door ( some common names are:KAWNEER, EFCO, ALUMALINE, VISTAWALL, TUBELITE, ARCH, HOWMET AND PPG ) once you know the name then any glass shop can order replacement pile, also the ms lock faceplate may have it's weatherstrip needing replaced as well.
If your able to find a name on the door, let me know i'll get you the part numbers and find you a supplier, good luck

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Pro

Many thanks ... I'll find out then post here. Thanks for the offer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
This weatherstrip is called an astragal and depending on the manufacturer is available in longer pile. check on the exterior lower face of the door to see if a manufactures nameplate is affixed to door ( some common names are:KAWNEER, EFCO, ALUMALINE, VISTAWALL, TUBELITE, ARCH, HOWMET AND PPG ) once you know the name then any glass shop can order replacement pile, also the ms lock faceplate may have it's weatherstrip needing replaced as well.
If your able to find a name on the door, let me know i'll get you the part numbers and find you a supplier, good luck
The make is 'Standard Aluminium Products Inc.'
Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
slave driver

Trade: project manager commercial contract glazier
Rewards Points: 75

Bonzai, standard aluminum products inc is the distributor/supplier for aluminum doors made by other companies, I would need to know which brand you have there.
Googling them did give company info, see if there are any other name tags on the pair of doors, or better yet a close up picture of the doors would help in identifying them.
let me know what you find.